1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA Speedway @ The Nova in Hudson...

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by shawnp, May 7, 2014.

1. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

They tweeted they've got a case @$42 per bottle. Get after it.
    Bond111 likes this.
  2. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Savant (385) Minnesota Jun 24, 2013

Thats a shit ton of Saga
  3. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Advocate (505) Minnesota Mar 27, 2013

That beer is not worth $20 a bottle
    lonewolfcry, Curt1 and ToadiesForCody like this.
  4. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

It was $28 at the brewery release Monday. $42 is insane.
  5. Shots fired!

$42 is outrageous for most beers IMO. It better have come from another country, be rare as hell, or been poured over the body of a fine-looking woman and into my mouth if I'm gonna drop that kind of cash...
    Hopsiam14 and maximum12 like this.
  6. That's 42 bottles of saga or 504 oz. BA speedway is only 25 oz. Talk about saga value.
    Hopsiam14, josephwa and Seefeldt like this.
  7. Chicones & Marketplace St.Croix Falls have it it, too.
  8. Thats 3btls of reg speedway...
    MNBeer1017 likes this.
  9. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Advocate (505) Minnesota Mar 27, 2013

Just buy some damn clown shoes BA beers for $13
    ToadiesForCody likes this.
  10. Assassin will hit $50 plus i bet at nova.
  11. knelson

knelson Aficionado (115) Wisconsin Nov 23, 2010

If they are selling it at $28 straight from the brewery I wouldn't say $42 is out of line. Not much room there for distributor markup plus retail markup. Assuming a 30% retail markup which is pretty typical, that leaves about
    $4-$5 for dist markup. I have a hard time paying $42 for beer but IMO this beer is worth that price.
  12. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Normally when you purchase a product directly from the brewery it is sold at the msrp(or sometimes even slightly higher), so it includes all of the extra costs for their vendors you speak of. Hence, go to Central Waters or New Glarus. You can go to the gas station across the street from NG and find slightly cheaper prices. CW sells their BA 4pks for $14 and you can easily find them for $12.50 at retail shops.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is a huge markup on behalf of the retailers, or the brewery undercutting their vendors.
  13. Obviously large format bottles are a rip off.
    I look at it this way 1 bottle of BA Speedway
    or 2 4pks of BCBCS for me it is a easy choice.
  14. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Agreed, but good luck finding two four packs of BCBCS around here ever.
  15. Not around here but in Chicago on black Friday we did.
    I guess I was speaking to the $4$ aspect of it.
  16. Also it's pretty easy to trade for.
  17. jjohnston884

jjohnston884 Aficionado (180) Iowa Feb 22, 2007

They were $38 in Madison and I thought that was crazy
  18. I actually found a few...
  19. xsists

xsists Aficionado (200) Wisconsin Dec 31, 2007

I paid $34 in Waukesha at Woodmans :(
  20. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (525) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

So how long did it take to sell out?
  21. I just called the Casanova and they said that they still have 3.
  22. nograz

nograz Aficionado (145) Minnesota Oct 30, 2013

Probably because people are waiting on their loan approval before they can afford to buy it.
  23. Maybe next year they will only order half of a case!
  24. I'm in a mule group and our Southern Cal members say $33 in stores. So $40 in WI not too bad.
  25. I would go as far as saying $40 for a bottle is pretty bad. Don't care where I am buying it. $40 is a lot for 25 oz.
    Seefeldt likes this.
  26. I called earlier (around noon) and was told they got three cases and it didn't sound like they had sold much. Must have been a big run on those bottles or they got less than I was told.
  27. I would not ever consider buying this beer at that price. To me this is huge gouging. If you buy this beer and like it for that price, you are a happy camper and got what you paid for.

I like this brewery and do buy some of their beers, but there are other quality brands in this style that are priced for less.
  28. jera1350

Yeah, but...

"Just bit the bullet and bought one. $22 at lake wine." (for 17 oz.)
    mothman
    maximum12 likes this.
  29. Way to cut off the rest of the quote. This is worse than the stats and graphs you see in newspapers trying to persuade people.

If you are going to quote me, quote the whole thing.
  30. jera1350

Well, wait a minute. $40 is too much for a bottle of beer, but $22 for a 17 oz. bottle is fine as long as it's on your "wants" list since 2009?

If someone has a $40 bottle on their "wants" list, isn't that okay then?

I agree with you that $40 is too much for a bottle of beer, but I also think it's a bit hypocritical to state that when you purchase a smaller format bottle for $22.
  31. Maybe he just drew a line.
    That's not being hypocritical.

BA Speedway is $1.60 per ounce, in the example above.
    BA Brandy Old Stock is $1.30 per ounce, in the example above.

I'm with mothman on this one.

I have had both beers, and would gladly pay the $22 for the Old Stock, but wouldn't pay the $40 for BASS.
    The BA Old Stock is a better beer, IMO, for less per ounce.

BTW...Vietnamese Speedway is better than BASS, IMO.
    And it's not even barrel aged.
    mothman and striker2160 like this.
  32. EJJ1848

What bothers me most is that the base beer is $13. Somehow putting it in barrels makes it worth $27 more? I might as well buy the Original and then a 750 of decent bourbon, would probably get more enjoyment from that
    BrettHead likes this.
  33. jera1350

Haven't had either one, but anything over $1/once that is not on tap at a bar seems way too spendy to me. I have no problem with anyone spending that if that's your thing and not trying to be a dick. If you're willing to spend $1.30 per once on a beer, I don't think an extra .30 an ounce is too far off.
  34. I guess unless you are wealthy there is a limit
    for everyone.
  35. Torgo

Torgo Aficionado (205) Minnesota Dec 19, 2008

Considering I had to pay shipping to trade for this 6 years ago, they higher cost wouldn't bother me much if I really wanted to try it again.
  36. I like how you bring this up after the fact that I called you out on not quoting everything.

Dude, this beer has been on my wants list for nearly 5 years. Yes BA speedway is great. I have had multiple years of it. Would I pay 40+ for it? No. Do you know why? Because I had a growler shipped to me for cheaper. I have had various vintages a few times already and it isn't worth $40 for me to try it again,

I have had bourbon old stock and it was insane. I have only heard better things about the brandy. It's my b-day next week which is why I specifically stated I am spending way too much on this bottle, but it's for a special occasion and it's a beer I have wanted to try for a very long time. If someone has been dying to try ba speedway for 5 years, $40 is a STEAL for that person when they can find it on the shelf. A STEAL. For someone that has had it multiple times, no thanks.... I can find other things.

Internet battlez for the win hommie.
    mmulebarn likes this.
  37. I like beer too.
  38. EJJ1848

Drink Dat beeeer homez
  39. jera1350

I just found your two comments to be a funny contradiction of each other, that's all. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Enjoy the Old Stock and Happy Early BDay.
  40. I can definitely see that. No worries. Cheers and thank you!
    CCutch and jera1350 like this.