1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

BA Speedway

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by RRtransvestification, Feb 9, 2013.

1. RRtransvestification

RRtransvestification Member

Is it worth getting a 09 BA Speedway in a trade? I really want to do a Speedway, Kopi, and BA Speedway night and I don't want to miss out on any of the taste of the BA.
  2. RRtransvestification

RRtransvestification Member

Does anybody have any experience aging the BA Speedway? Would you recommend an 09 over a 12?
  3. maximum12

maximum12 Member

I never had the 2009, but for what it's worth, I had BA Speedway 2003 in 2011 & again in 2012.

At eight years it was excellent, & at nine years it was even better. Recently had the chance to try the 2012 vintage fresh, & either the 2003 was a better vintage, or the years were very kind.

I wouldn't have any hesitation personally trading for a 2009.
  4. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

I had some of the 2009 BASS back in November and it was still tasty.
    OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  5. RDMII

RDMII Member

I wouldn't have a problem receiving any bottle of BA Speedway at any vintage. Do it.
  6. koopa

koopa Member

I've had 2003 BA Speedway with 8 years on it and it was fantastic. I've had 2007 BA Speedway with 4 years on it that was good. I've had 2006 BA Speedway with 5 years on it and it was lackluster.
  7. peteinSD

peteinSD Member

the '09 will drink very well. as i understand it though the brewers add the coffee after the beer is barrel aged and just before bottling so that aspect of the beer will diminish some. the thing with ale smith barrel aging is that when they do it well (which is quite often) the beers are so damn smooth and balanced that they hold up remarkably well for years. final analysis - DO IT.
  8. koopa

koopa Member

I love a regular speedway bottle with 3 years of age on it because the coffee diminishes and the beer turns into a whole new type of animal.