1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA stereotypes

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by draheim, Apr 25, 2013.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

This will probably generate a little flamage, but that's cool. It's a perfect 70 degrees and sunny (pretty unusual for my area), and right now I'm enjoying my first Wisdom Seeker, a tasty DIPA that rivals anything else I've ever had in the style. It just might have gone to my head. :)

I've noticed a few trends when I read threads in the Beer Talk forum, and I want to know if I'm totally off base here. So here goes. East Coast BAs favor maltier beers and German styles. West Coast BAs favor hoppier beers and sours. Midwest/Great Lakes BAs favor beers brewed in the Midwest and Great Lakes. Younger BAs tend to favor big, flavorful, high-ABV beers. Older BAs tend to favor milder session beers. Homerism is generally pretty rampant, across the board—but it does seem to be more prevalent in certain regions. Hipsters are, oh so predictably, hipsters.

The purpose of this thread is not to generate controversy, or animosity, or anything like that. I am not a troll. Of course there are exceptions to everything stated above, but I think I've provided a fair generalization of a few trends I've observed in the BA forums over the past couple of years. Just for fun, sometimes I read a post and try to guess what region it came from before checking the poster's profile. I tend to be right probably about 75% of the time.

Comments? Discuss. Cheers! This should be fun.
  2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I agree with the Midwest stereotype,but I'd add that in MN and WI we also like our German styles.

Homerism is huge in the Midwest, and Great Lakes, but the Northwest seems to have a fair amount as well, at least more than the rest of the west coast.
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  3. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

East coast seems to really like rare/seasonal/specialty Bell's, Founders and Goose Island releases, even more than the Midwest/Great Lakes.
    YaKnowBrady and jRocco2021 like this.
  4. You homered so hard in that first paragraph.
  5. Can we strike 'Older' and replace it with 'Experienced'?

Have you ever been experienced? I have.:cool:
  6. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

FTFY
  7. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

Some of us are just assholes.

ummm?, wait a minute...
  8. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Advocate (505) Colorado Jan 18, 2013

Yup, I am from Colorado. I love everything from BA stouts to 10-year old lambics. I agree with you 100% on generalizing. I seem to only trade dark beers out east, and sours out west. OP, your claim may have been in the back of our minds for awhile... and....

I am a dork
    seanchai likes this.
  9. lookrider

lookrider Savant (390) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

I'm basically an anti-homer. I tend to think more highly of beers from other areas. I'm from the east and have several highly regarded breweries in my region and only go for a few of their offerings. When I read posts, I seldom make generalizations about a group of BA's based on their geographical locations. I tend to judge the content of individual posts. My preferences are also almost exactly opposite of your generalization. Maybe I'm one of the exceptions.
  10. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

I generally find styles like rauchbier and gose are highly popular south of the I-4 corridor. The west owns the fruit lambic scene, while the midwest has popularized saisons. The NE seems to know their brown ales and ESBs. While the PNW has turned into the wild wild west. My thoughts on the subject
  11. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I don't necessarily agree, but I do get where you're coming from for the most part. I am confused about the East coast and German styles & West coast and sours though. Never heard either of those stereotypes before.
    BrettHead and yemenmocha like this.
  12. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Few here like German styles. Sorry, don't see your generalization on that one.

Also the differences between the older/veteran BA's and the newbs are far greater than you describe.
    YaKnowBrady, superspak, vurt and 9 others like this.
  13. GregoryVII

GregoryVII Savant (335) Michigan Jan 30, 2006

Michigan beers are the best. Tally me under homer.
    illinidg, Biffster, bepps and 10 others like this.
  14. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Not sure, but I kind of figure average patterns of weather have a lot to do with it. Floridians have their floridaweisses coming up, SoCal with "sours" and warm weather, heartier (maltier) more in the colder areas. I agree with the age part.

Again, stereotypes, so there are plenty of exceptions across the board.
  15. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (250) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

I agree on the homer part. I'm a huge homer.. revolution, pipeworks, goose island... get sum, rest of the continental United States!
  16. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (695) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

The first paragraph is ironic and kinda contradicts the fact you think there are regions that are more biased than another, unless you were referring to your own region. Starting the post off by plugging a local brew saying it rivals the bests from the country just threw me off and seemed unnecessary considering the topic. I'm sure it's a killer brew tho..
  17. Im from midwest, I am only really a homer for Two Brothers because it's down the street. I like all styles.

If you want to stereotype - Everyone on BA has a beard and is slightly overweight. Besides me of course.
  18. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

This doesn't have anything to do with regions or styles, but one stereotype I don't think we as BAs will ever be able to shake is that we're all HUGE down there. You know...in the cellar.
  19. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

NYC - I love most beers, do tend to fall into the DIPA/RIS/sour stereotype, but I love a nice rye beer, dopplebock, Scotch ale and some less trendy styles. I enjoy malty IPAs and hop bombs alike. I love a lip puckering gueze or lambic. I do tend to romanticize the midwest and west coast but I love having access to great brewers from across the country and world. And I do have a large beard and perhaps the slightest of bellies.

Cheers!
    Hokenfloken likes this.
  20. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Newbs know everything, including the "fact" that lagers suck. Older drinkers, are aware that they don't know everything.
  21. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

You forgot "newbs" trading for "whalez" before they've even had classics they can get locally.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  22. kuhndog

kuhndog Savant (295) New York Sep 6, 2011

When people say they bought a "case" of something, I look to see if they're from Pennsylvania...most of the time I'm right ;)
    AwesomeSquad, ceeg, MickJ0nes and 7 others like this.
  23. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

well, I think the best way to generalize the ny metro favorites is to basically summarize the most common styles of beers in shops here... the shops I frequent are dominated by yes, malty stouts... but also tons of ales, ipas and dipas. So, that doesn't match your eastern stereotype exactly.

Honestly, from these boards, it seems that everyone drinks pretty much the same thing, regionally speaking. Although I don't know how someone from hot florida could enjoy heavy stouts too much. That's something I'm not into when the weather is warm up here.
    Errto likes this.
  24. Hokenfloken

Hokenfloken Savant (255) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

I'm loving this thread.
    GoliathBrewing likes this.
  25. draheim

Hey, I never said I was immune to the stereotypes. I admit I'm biased, though I think part of that is a natural byproduct (for all of us) of getting beer freshest closer to home. Seriously though, this beer was pretty damn solid, and I don't say that about just any IPA/DIPA, no matter where it comes from. And the 9% ABV was totally hidden. Frankly I probably never would have posted this thread if not somewhat under the influence first. I think a lot of these stereotypes are already out there, I just wanted to call them out and see what people said.
  26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I'm a homer for sure. But it's really only after trading for some releases out there I can't get my hands on locally only to realize that most of what I have on my local shelves is better than what I traded for. The only two exceptions havve been heady and juicy. Really, there's nothing like those beers on anyones shelves.
    As for age, I'm not sure where the op draws that line. From what I see at brewpubs, I'm a lot ollder than the rest of the crowd. I'm just as likely to order a 4% cream ale as I am to order a 7% IPA or a 16% stout. Just picked up a 4% red swingline IPA Primatif today that I've been eyeing for weeks.
  27. Well lets see I am in the southeast I love super hoped beers and I rarely touch german beers lol, so I guess either I am not normal or you are wrong. I am slightly guilty of homerism all though it's more like supporting local breweries. My 2 favorite breweries are a very very long way away so I wouldn't say it's homerism.
    GMan likes this.
  28. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (695) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I hear ya, I was just messin around. And yes everyone possesses biased/homer traits, it's only natural. And if they say they don't, they're lying..
  29. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (160) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

I thought this was about overweight guys with beards, you know, the stereotypical BA beer expert.
    YogiBeer, gjoker321, LMT and 3 others like this.
  30. I would go further and say the prevalence of homerism is a natural byproduct of being able to get good local beer almost everywhere. We are in a golden age.
    StuartCarter, ceeg, vurt and 3 others like this.
  31. You forgot the south! We are generally anti-homers because if you have drank craft for more than five years or so you had to be...
    Unless you only wanted to drink Abita or shiner
  32. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

I am a younger BA, and I preffer bigger, stronger, hoppier, maltyer, higher abv, more complex, and overall more rediculous beers. I am the stereotype encarnate.
    4balance likes this.
  33. That's a new one one me. I've live in this area my whole life and have not found that to be the case.
    GMan likes this.
  34. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I see what you did there...nice...

And I am a homer from the NorthEast...I am even scary close to being a Jacks Abby fanboy if someone my age can be one of those.
    TongoRad likes this.
  35. draheim

I couldn't really think of anything to say about the South. Come to think of it though, southern BAs seem to be more genuinely grateful for every drop of good beer they can get than BAs from just about any other region.
    Boom. Another stereotype. ;)
    gjoker321 likes this.
  36. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I love drinking locally as much as I can. Montana, South Dakota, the few Wyoming breweries that we have, and I even kinda claim some breweries like Odell as "local." But that absolutely doesn't limit me to certain styles or stereotypical interpretations of style. I've never heard of a Wyoming-style IPA. And I'm not sure if my drink-local preference falls under the "homerism" category...I don't necessarily and absolutely believe that WY, MT, SD, CO beers are better than all other beers. I just like the drink local movement in the craft beer industry. I like the collaboration with local agriculture, communities, the entrepreneurial spirit, etc. But I like it just as much in my home town as I do in any other part of the country.
  37. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

You talking about ME? Define overwieght please.
    DelMontiac, billandsuz and HOP_KING like this.
  38. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

I am only one of those two. I am huge fan of German Malt Bombs, West Coast Hop Bombs, but don't really care where it is from if it kicks ass. I would love go back to Great Britan, just drink some of the great stuff I found there from89 to 93 back when I was working for Uncle Sugar
    :D
  39. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Yes. Underage beards or novelty facial hair. Hoodies too. Heavy metal.