BA stereotypes

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by draheim, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Tattoos. You forgot tattoos. 'Must be your advanced age or too much malty session lager.

alex_hart and yemenmocha like this.
  2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Spending all your record store money on face tattoos and whalezbro? Or loonzbro?

3. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (210) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

I'm glad this thread has turned from the stereotypes of what regional beer drinkers drink to simply what the stereotypical BA looks like!

djsmith1174, LeRose and yemenmocha like this.
  4. 5'6" ~125 pounds, bearded half the year. Tattooed. I'm in the Northeast, and I guess I do prefer an D/IPA with a solid malt backbone to the bracingly dry ones, though I dig those too. Love sours, they're just too expensive for regular consumption. Not in love with super-hoppy imperial/stouts, but they've got their place. I do enjoy browns and milds (under 4%, duh). So yeah, I guess if regional (and other) stereotypes where a Venn diagram, there'd be some overlapping circles for sure.

5. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,135) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Yep. Also forgot piercings. Aren't we supposed to use politically correct phrase "body art"?

Aside from hoodies there's the bowling style shirt or whatever it is called - to hide the gut (and is probably argued to be an unfair label by the wearer).

6. yemenmocha

Anti-homer here too. I've lived east coast, Midwest, mountain west, and southwest. I just think in terms of best breweries I like, regardless of region.

7. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (395) Florida Jan 2, 2013

im metal as fuck.

4balance and spicoli00 like this.
  8. yemenmocha

The South has craft beer now?

gjoker321 and Kuemmelbrau like this.
  9. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (210) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

This guy knows what's up. He is what BA stands for.

yemenmocha and MatthewPlus like this.
  10. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Homerism makes no sense to me. Liking a beer more simply because it's made in your homer zone? I don't care where a beer is made.

nanobrew, yemenmocha and BMitch like this.
  11. Well, Philadelph - ... wait, let me try to open my mouth without saying something great about Philly's beer scene...
    <deep breath>
    Ok, you forgot the suspenders and flannel shirts. Or maybe that's the homebrewer forum...

MusicaleMike and Vonstein15 like this.
  12. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

No one actually drinks any beer. They just trade and trade and have a "cellar" full of hundreds of dollars of beer.

MattOC, dan027, rocdoc1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. I am as East Coast as it gets and very few people prefer German style lagers in my neck of the woods.

14. Absolut

Absolut Savant (435) California Sep 19, 2011

i hate stereotypes. this thread made me so mad, i had to open up a hop stoopid, and then wind down with a supplication.

15. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (520) New York Mar 7, 2009

Thanks for giving me another reason not to ever go West of Iowa again. I am 50, live in the Northeast and prefer malty beers with low abv.

got me.

I'm a homer now. I would rather drink a decent beer brewed in Upstate NY than a great one from California or Colorado.

16. BA's who live near where lots of good beer is made drink more local beer. BA's who live farther away drink less local beer. East Coast BA's tend to notice that the sun rises in the East. West Coast BA's often remark that it sets in the West. It's all very interesting.

gjoker321 likes this.
  17. East of the Mississippi, BAs seem to prefer citrus-tasting IPAs; Western BAs appear to prefer piney/herbal hop styles. Just basing that on the products from breweries in those areas.

gjoker321 likes this.
  18. davemathews68

davemathews68 Savant (425) Ohio Jan 25, 2013

I am new on here and this has cleared up my confusion on the culture on BA. This thread should be on the first paged tagged "must read". ...I guess I will start my beard today!

19. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

I guess I am an undercover BA. I don't have a beard, tatoo, piercings and don't listen to metal. I am in my mid thirties not sure if that falls under "old" but I don't drink session ales. I live on the east coast and don't drink many german styles.

yemenmocha likes this.
  20. spicoli00

spicoli00 Champion (760) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

Stereotypes are funny because they're true.

I live in the Midwest, but I'll drink anything new I can get my hands on or zombie dust or dreadnaught or APW or PF.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  21. Inchay

Inchay Zealot (90) California Feb 24, 2012

Speaking of BA stereotypes:

22. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Savant (395) Texas Feb 16, 2012

Not a homer. Haven't found that many Texas beers that I enjoy. I typically stick with west coast beers for the most part.

23. BA's often buck the stereotype of beer drinkers.

Rather than be the strong, silent, easy going, blue collar type. . .

We have a lot of overly sensitive, jealous, disgruntled, whiny, cause-heads . . .

BILF, Bay01, Onenote81 and 6 others like this.
  24. yemenmocha

I agree.

Having some enthusiasm for one's team can be a rather innocent thing to do, sometimes it's admirable and cute. I'm thinking of all those faithful Cubs fans out there.

But it gets neurotic when someone's appraisal of how good their home team is relative to the competition is delusional. So, I see a big difference between the longterm enthusiastic Cubs fan and the ones that honestly think their team is the best team in the league (every year, not just a handful of seasons when they made the WS). Unfortunately the latter is the sort of homerism that I often encounter when it comes to beer. It's not innocent, local enthusiasm.

Giovannilucano likes this.
  25. Yuuuuuup feels good to be a stereotype

alex_hart likes this.
  26. Well I'm a douche. Tattooed, bearded, live next to Firestone Walker, drink the shit out of their beer, drink mostly hoppy as hell anything, BA everything, and sours are regularly in the lineup. I'm also ten feet tall and made of gold.

27. But do you shoot fireballs from your eyes, and lightning from your arse?

As for me, I'm mid-20s and usually stay away from beers that're too hop-forward. I'm more of a porter/stout guy, with occasional branching out into IPAs like DFH 60/90 minute and some hybrids like Wookey Jack. Still trying to screw up my courage to take the leap to Stone IPA territory.

Guess that makes me a Total Rebel (tm).

28. antilite

antilite Aficionado (160) Florida Jan 1, 2012

Who? Hunahpu, that's who.

29. the northeast is starting to take a page out of the west coast's book with hoppy beers and funkier stuff.

Rochefort10nh likes this.
  30. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

I think geography has little to do with what types of beer you drink, and everything to do with what types of beer you like and are actually able to get your hands on.

I would love to try 1,000's of other types of beers from 1,000's of breweries, but I can't justify the expense of either shipping it or traveling to and from.

Jazzpha likes this.
  31. Couldn't let this go unnoticed
    Wow. Where to begin.....

Etan, iguenard, cavedave and 3 others like this.
  32. Very true. My wishlist of beers is just about as long as the list of beers I've tried and loved, and most of those on the wishlist just don't make it to where I am. I'm at least fortunate to have a store near me that carries niche stuff, but I'm routinely struck by West-Coast envy when it comes to easy availability of some really interesting-sounding beers.

33. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

I could agree with some of what you're saying and I believe many BA's are biased towards their local breweries as well, some of what you say is a off but I get the general idea.
    Being from the Northeast I can see the generalization about certain groups but pretty much everyone I know loves the hoppier side not the maltier IPA/DIPA and pretty much the same way with Stouts or RIS's and Porters. I think I wouldve gone with beer knowledge as far as styles seeing most of the best IPA's and Sours come from the West Coast. Just like saying the Midwest likes the sweeter end of Stouts ie: Dark Lord and Darkness but that's just IMO

34. THIS! Home-fucking-run!

dan027 and ressling like this.
  35. quasimoto

quasimoto Savant (350) Ohio Sep 14, 2002

I thought this was going to be another "autumnaldave" rage.

And I am a fan of good beer. Region/style be damned.

ressling likes this.
  36. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i think supporting your local stuff is natural. as for local local, sadly Los Angeles doesn't have a lot yet, but we're getting there. i still try to support our local breweries, even if we don't have anything upper echelon yet. but as for this great state of ours, there's definitely a lot to be proud of

37. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

Not everything was invented by Jester King...

38. I was told that if I grew a beard, I would be a "real" craft beer guy. This coming from a guy who was maybe 12 when this beardless guy started selling craft beer in an area where there was none, and no "scene". I recently stopped selling a certain breweries beers because the brewmaster shaved, making him no longer a "craft beer guy". :)

BKBassist likes this.
  39. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (745) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

Don't agree that Midwest/Great Lakes are homers, I'm from there. Find EVERYONE is a homer or proud
    of people, things, food, etc from their own region or city. Historian/Writer/Teacher here and just the way
    the world works. It's not a bad thing, just reality.

Tattoos and beard seem common.
    I have had my trimmed beard since '06, guess I'm actually ahead of the Hollywood trend. ;)
    Grew my dark brown with sprinkled rust out one year (2009) I think and my family said I looked
    like either an Orthodox Jew or Muslim terrorist. :D

No tats or piercings, ouch.

Giovannilucano likes this.
  40. Can't tell if trolling or.....