BA stereotypes

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Orca, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grohnke

Grohnke Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2009 Illinois

Beards will stay, but you watch....tank-tops and elctro indie, summer of '14.

Giovannilucano and yemenmocha like this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

It is more of a Pennsylvania thing and the terminology should be more like enjoy German style lagers. Just like much of the US, hoppy beers like IPAs/DIPAs are likely the preferred beer style.

Cheers!

3. BB1313

BB1313 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,278) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

German style beers are pretty popular here in Ohio too, lots of em..

4. FembotsUnite

FembotsUnite Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

True. At my bottle shop those three are the big sellers. There's also quite a demand for hop bombs and sours too.

5. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

I am familiar with the tasty German lagers from Great Lakes. Are there other Ohio breweries that have a variety of good German Lagers?

Cheer!

6. FembotsUnite

FembotsUnite Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

Not for long, my friend! We won't have to shop at distributors once the liquor law privatizes later this year.

kuhndog likes this.
  7. BB1313

BB1313 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,278) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Great Lakes does them best around here. There's not really another OH brewery that excels with them, but there are always local breweries attempting them, some great, some not. Most of them are on-tap and not bottled, besides Great Lakes. But there's definitely a market for them around here..

8. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

“ …there are always local breweries attempting them, some great, some not.” Yeah, it always strikes me that brewpubs often don’t get discussed in beer threads since they such a local thing.

I am very lucky that in SEPA, there are a number of craft breweries that make high quality German Lagers (Pilsners, Bocks, Marzen, Vienna Lager, Doppelbocks, etc.): Stoudt’s, Victory, Sly Fox, Troegs, Penn, etc. that the brewpubs really have to make very good German Style lagers to be able to compete. Local Brewpubs which make very good German lagers are:

· Iron Hill Brewpub (multiple locations)
    · Triumph Brewpub (multiple locations)
    · Manayunk Brewpub
    · Rock Bottom
    · Dock Street
    · etc.

Cheers!

9. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,509) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Let's move it up to New England. I kind of think the east coast ends at the Massachusetts suburb of Rhode Island sometimes...

10. MarshMan71

MarshMan71 Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2012 Illinois

I agree.... From the midwest here as well, and I drink alot of IL & WI brews. Just wish stinking WI would ship more of their beers to IL Hint Hint NG

But their are so many great breweries making all sorts of great craft beer ... I just gotta try'em all.

11. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

Christian Moerlein out of Cincinnati has some pretty decent lagers.

12. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

It sounds like Notch Brewing makes some good lagers. The Notch Cerne Pivo sounds real tasty.

Have you tried these beers?

Cheers!

13. pcsnyder

pcsnyder Zealot (677) May 2, 2011 Pennsylvania

My tastes seem to swing with the seasons. In the winter, I prefer maltier brews, while I want stuff on the hoppier end of the spectrum in warmer weather. Overall, my favorite styles are usually Belgian. I have noticed that as I get older more experienced, I tend to look for more sessionable beers and save the bigger beers for get-togethers or special occasions.

14. mecummins

mecummins Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2012 Illinois

I suppose the homer stereotype fits me. I drink mainly Illinois, WI, MI & Ohio beers and get really excited over the latest offerings from my hometown favorites.

As for the other stereotypes...well I do own a hoodie.

BeerLover99 likes this.
  15. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,509) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have seen them once in a while in stores but haven't tried any yet. I have to do some inventory reduction before I can reload! Somebody seems to think I have plenty of beer in the house...not saying who, mind you. Last time I shopped, local store had their entire line - nice display. Not sure why I passed on at least trying one of the selection.

Believe they are contract-brewed out of Mercury up in Ipswich, MA and their cask product is made in Kennebunkport. Mercury was Ipswich Brewery a while back and they contract brew a bunch of stuff. Some people think they ruined Cisco (can't say because I never had any Cisco beers before Mercury), but I like a lot of the Clown Shoes product they produce and some of the Ipswich products.

16. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In the NYC area the German beers have always tended to move, too- especially Weihenstephaner, Ayinger, Paulaner and Spaten. I'm not so sure you will run into the folks moving those beers at your average beer bar or on sites like BA, but the fans are definitely out there. It's really nice being in an area with good turnover of those styles, too. I'm not so sure whether or not this confirms said stereotype, though:wink:.

17. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Michael, I have a difficult time knowing whether German beers around me are fresh or not. Just 20 minutes ago I was at my local retail beer distributor. I had both a case of Reissdorf Kolsch and Gaffel Kolsch in my hands. I flipped and rotated those boxed but there was no dating on them. I was not intending to purchase them but with no dates there is no chance for even an impulse buy. The cases of Stoudt’s Karnival Kolsch had a best by date of 7/13/13 clearly on that box. I still have part of a Stoudt’s Karnival Kolsch 6-pack in my basement so I didn’t buy that particular case.

For me it is pretty clear: no date, no purchase.

Cheers!

Jack

P.S. The case of Reissdorf Kolsch was $68 (not including tax). Pretty expensive for a potential case of old beer.

18. Groomsy

Groomsy Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2010 Kentucky
    Deactivated

Pretty accurate, haha. I agree with this as a Southerner.

I almost danced in the beer aisle when we got Stone Ruination in my local store. You West Coast BAs are all like, "Yeah, I won't drink it if it's more than three weeks old." :wink:

I'm a bit of a homer as well, though. KY has a few solid breweries with more in the planning process, especially in Lexington. Plus, being an hour from Cincinnati gives me access to some solid brews from there.

19. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Maven (1,424) Feb 24, 2011 Pennsylvania

Well I already have the tank top down and even crazier is it is a death metal one too!

20. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Honestly, I wouldn't take that chance either, especially not at that price. As far as Kolsch goes, I'm happy with my own local-ish Captain Lawrence, too.

But a lot of the other brands are dated. Plus, even with those that are not- I will see a new delivery fairly regularly- cases come, cases go, repeat... Worse comes to worse- I will just get a single bottle or sixer as a 'test' before committing to a bulk purchase. But the bottom line is- I can't remember the last time I was disappointed by the quality of what I bought, in terms of age/condition. It's probably not like that all-over, but in areas where the quality of the imports is reliable it makes sense that they will be more appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.