1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA Stout recipe

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by yinzer, Dec 25, 2012.

1. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

This is based on Googling GI BCS clones. I'm not looking for an exact clone, just something pretty close. Just a good BA'ed Imp Stout.

Style: Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout
    Alcohol by Volume: 14.5%
    International Bitterness Units: 60
    Color: Midnight
    Hops: Willamette
    Malt: 2-Row, Munich, Chocolate, Caramel, Roast Barley, Debittered Black

Anything look terribly out of whack? Too much Munich? Since I'n using 2-row and not M.O. I'm thinking that I can go up a bit on the Munich.

6.9% roasted - Designing Great Beers has an 8% ave so I should be good there. And as a single percentage the other dark malts are way under, but I don't know if as a total they might be too much.

Not sure about the yeast. I'd like to the dark malt and the BA'ing to make the aromas. That's why I'm thinking a clean yeast.

I will be adjusting pH on the fly.

Great Western Premium 2-Row Malt (2.0 SRM) 71.5 %
    Weyermann Dark Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 13.8 %
    Crisp Roasted Barley (695.0 SRM) 4.1 %
    Simpsons Crystal Maris Otter (55.0 SRM) 3.0 %
    Fawcett Roasted Wheat Malt (380.0 SRM) 2.8 %
    Munton's Chocolate Malt (385.0 SRM) 2.8 %
    Weyermann De-Husked Carafa II (410.0 SRM) 2.1 %
    Magnum [15.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min 44.3 IBUs
    Willamette [4.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min 9.0 IBUs
    Willamette [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 4.2 IBUs

Mash 149*F
    Est Original Gravity: 1.127 SG
    Bitterness: 57.5 IBUs
    Est Color: 71.9 SRM

Yeast?? WLP099 , WPL001 , WLP007 ??

TIA

TIA
  2. yinzer

Anyone? I'm drinking one now and I find this beer to more of a chocolate BA BW than a stout. That's why I'm thinking the Munich will help.
  3. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Sorry amigo, I'm not familiar with the beer. It looks like a tasty recipe, but I'm not the guy to tell you if it's close to what you're going for. What are the alc. tolerances of those WLP strains?
  4. I assume you're looking for this recipe so you can brew it before you do the KH clone that we discussed in another thread? I apologize, I haven't been posting for shit on BA the last month or so, been purdy busy. I like the recipe personally. To some it might look like a lot of specialty malts but I get that comment a lot on this site and decided that it's not always the best advice. I recently brewed a coconut brown porter with a TON of crystal and chocolate malts, mashed low, and I got it down from a 1.066 to a 1.014 no problem, no nutrients added, healthy yeast, sufficient oxygen. If you mash low and have decent water you shouldn't have any trouble. It might be awhile given the OG but that's a given. And to answer your question regarding the yeast for the KH clone I think you're right, 1098 or 007 would work better. Brewing this as soon as my ingredients arrive....it's going to be an all day process.
  5. yinzer

I did the KH clone last weekend. It's chugging away pretty good. I hope that I didn't start the WLP007 too cold. It stayed at 61*F for the first day. I let it rise up to 65*F the next day. It's at 69*F now.