BA tasting groups West Chi Burbs?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by adamdrinksbeer, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pschul4

pschul4 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2011 Illinois

I wouldn't have any problem throwing in a couple bucks if it finds us a large venue for the tasting

2. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2012 Illinois

I guess the question is whether we are going to be in near west burbs (addison, villa park, etc...) or far west... (naper, aurora, oswego, etc...)

That would help narrow the selection

3. pschul4

I know Ballydoyles in Aurora has a lot of extra dining rooms that sit empty most nights (might not on a Saturday night) but I could email them about it if we decide thats a location we'd be interested in

4. AJDePaul

Exactly where I was thinking of when I posted about the location

They have some good stuff on tap occasionally as well

pschul4 likes this.
  5. adamdrinksbeer

adamdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Illinois

Well it sounds like I need to start making personal phone calls to these places. I'm also going to try Two Brothers Roundhouse.

Just so people know, unless we find a place where the owner is like "dude sure whatever man", we're probably going to be expected to pitch in a few bucks or at least buy some food. Any of these places is going to need to know what's in it for them.

6. pschul4

If we're meeting at 5 we should all just plan on getting food at whatever establishment is nice enough to host us

7. adamdrinksbeer

That's what I'm thinking. If we have 15 people grabbing dinner, they might be more relaxed about us bringing in our own brews. Also, I'm thinking if we can get a brewery like Two Brothers to host us, they might be interested in joining. Good way to promote the craft beer scene and get people into their brewery.

Just a thought!

PDZ likes this.
  8. AJDePaul

The Roundhouse could be good if they've opened up that second bar in the middle. That's a nice little room there... tried absinthe for the first time in that room :slight_smile:

pschul4 likes this.
  9. pschul4

That would be awesome! I've always wanted to drink with a professional brewer

10. ThirstT

ThirstT Initiate (0) May 5, 2012 Illinois

I know that I am a bit late to the game here. But, I was unavailable for the 18th so I didn't chime in. However, when I was visiting Geneva's Niche restaurant for a tapped Boubon County Stout this evening, I was informed that management is about to get some tastings going at the restaurant. It looks like they will be on Wednesday's in the not too distant future. After seeing the beer that they have available at the restaurant itself (http://www.nichegeneva.com/beer/ ), I can imagine that these tastings could develop into something very interesting. I'll tell you this, they are holding beers in their cellar that are even much more exciting than what's on their menu, and that is a damn good menu especially for this far out in the burbs. I intend to find out what comes of these Wednesday gatherings myself, maybe I'll see some of you good people there as well!

11. AJDePaul

OMG that's the best beer menu I've seen in a hot minute.

12. Metempsychosis

Metempsychosis Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2008 Illinois

Okay, talked to the owners of Bigbys in Addison. We are locked in for the 18th at 5pm. The only condition is that "they get to jump in." They even put us on their calender, so it should be official. See you all there!

13. adamdrinksbeer

EXCELLENT! Now it's real. The wolfpack has coalesced into a living breathing bringer of pure beer enjoyment.

Their website is currently under construction, but here's a link to their location.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1700+W.+Lake+St.+Addison,+IL+60101

I'll still be investigating sites to host us in the future, since I know there are some folks a little further west, and it would be nice to rotate. But this is a great start!

***** ALSO, if you have not picked something to bring yet, make sure you do so sometime in the next couple weeks so that everyone has a good idea of what to bring, or perhaps if they should switch it up. *****

If you haven't gotten an email from me for the spreadsheet, or have yet to send me your info, please do! We'd love to have you!

da_bulls likes this.
  14. Metempsychosis

Metempsychosis Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2008 Illinois

http://www.facebook.com/bigbyspourhouse is the most reliable site for them - I think they've eschewed the traditional website approach. Also, they're really, really good about keeping their beer menu updated on beermenus.com.

For those who will be driving there for the first time - basically, it's right off of 355/290. The building itself also houses an Italian deli called Mario's - so if you see the sign for them, you're in the right place.

Looking forward to seeing you all there - and keep in mind, once the bottleshare is over, Bigby's generally has a great tap list to choose from. Enjoyed a Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge there tonight. There's also food/the owners are cool with folks bringing in food from wherever.

15. pschul4

This is gonna be sick!

16. jpsy422

jpsy422 Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2009 Illinois

Out of curiosity, how many of the people that are on that list were at the Bottle Share at the Marriott before DLD? I see a couple of familiar names.

Also, a second to the Niche Geneva recommendation. That place is the bees knees.

17. pschul4

I was there and if this is anything like that it'll be friggin sweet!

18. adamdrinksbeer

Niche, from the website looks pretty swanky. Very pricey dinner entrees. Also, are talking about showing up for their in house beer tasting (which might cost money?), or setting up a bottle-share there?

19. adamdrinksbeer

Also, since everything has been finalized I just want to throw out some reminders:

1. Try to remember to bring a tasting glass. I'll probably pick up some little plastic ones just in case, but I'll be counting on people bringing a little something of their own.

2. Make sure to have a few extra bucks on hand. Since our hosts are so graciously letting us use their space, it'd be nice to grab some food or munchies while we're there.

Other than that let me know if you have any questions or requests... and I'll see you all on the 18th!

20. Redrover

Redrover Grand Pooh-Bah (3,602) Jan 18, 2003 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

E-mail sent, looking forward to it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.