1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BA Yeti?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by hopfacebrew, Oct 30, 2012.

1. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

Is Great Divide not releasing the Barrel Aged Yeti this year as a result of the infections of last year's release and Stranahan's deal with Breckenridge or is this just a nasty rumor?

I hadn't seen any information pertaining to BA Yeti in quite a while but perhaps I have been living under a rock?
  2. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

last I heard it is every other year, so next year.
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  3. mazerock

mazerock Aficionado (100) Colorado Jun 13, 2012

Not sure but they still need to release BA Hibernation as the last installment in the BA series.
  4. hopfacebrew

Good to know.
  5. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

And I had one Saturday and it wasn't infected
  6. hopfacebrew

I personally didn't experience any infections in any of the bottles I bought or shared either. I know that some people have, which is extremely unfortunate.
  7. chango

chango Aficionado (240) Colorado Mar 31, 2006

All the Stranahans deal with Breck means is that Breck is the only brewery allowed to say they're using Stranahans barrels on the label. If a CO brewery advertises a beer made in a whiskey barrel and doesn't say which whiskey... it's a really good bet that its a Stranahans barrel anyway.
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  8. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (620) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Yes, I asked GD about this last month, BA Yeti will not be released until this time next year. All their BA-series are every other year.

BA Hibernation is next and from what I've heard it's bottled but they were awaiting the label approval or printing (can't remember exactly what they said) and were still deciding how to handle QC for this release, there was maybe talk of buying a flash pasteurizer... but chances are it will likely be next month (November)... maybe... December.
    hopfacebrew likes this.
  9. hopfacebrew

Terrific, thanks Prospero!
  10. I've heard this same thing from a bottle shop owner.
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

To anyone worried about their ba yeti being infected I will gladly take the bottles of your hands. BM me.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  12. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

BA Hibernation has been bottled and should be released anytime now.
    hopfacebrew and coreymcafee like this.
  13. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aficionado (220) Colorado Feb 29, 2012

heard the newest ones that havn't been released are all already infected:)
  14. Hmmm does anyone have any barrel yeti that they would be interested in selling?
  15. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

This is correct, except that what I heard from Stranahan's was that they sell their used barrels to barrel brokers who then sell them to breweries without disclosing where they're from, so really, any BA beer that isn't specifically named could be a Stranahan's barreled beer. It doesn't really matter in the long run though.
  16. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

The bottles are infected so you likely wouldn't want it. I'm sure there are people who would be happy to unload a bottle, but you're better off waiting until next year.
  17. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

why don't they just re-label them as "sours"
  18. narayan

narayan Aficionado (170) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

As previously mentioned by others, I will gladly accept any unwanted possibly infected BA Yeti.
  19. I'm dumb enough to pay at a discount and hope for the best, but I guess you're right. BA hibernation should be interesting.
  20. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Correction: SOME bottles are infected. I have yet to have one and I've cracked 10+ bottles, one as recently as a few weeks ago.
    chicano4craft and SalukiAlum like this.
  21. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

2009 Abyss, every vintage Double Pecan, etc. People have traded me bottles claiming they've had a bunch of good bottles. Every time the one they sent me was infected. I'm not saying you are lying, just that so far I've yet to get a good bottle from someone making those claims. It just isn't worth giving up anything of value.
  22. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Not a claim, it's a fact: SOME bottles/batches were infected. Very common these days even with the biggest and best breweries, i.e. Deschutes, Odell, Boulevard, New Glarus, lots... But understand why someone would be hesitant to trade or buy. But I would! Loved the 2 bottles I had and the BA Ruffian! Funny thing is some people like the infected bottles! I enjoyed the infected Boulevard Imperial Stout, wasn't what they meant it to be but was good!
  23. Between tastings and my own stash, I've had 6 bottles of BA Yeti, none of them infected. Have 3 left, but not much interest in getting rid of them through any other means than pouring them into my belly
    coreymcafee likes this.
  24. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

I'm with you^^^ Have 3 bottles left myself and they are not leaving the house!
    coreymcafee likes this.
  25. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Guys, there is a very large thread where the infected bottles appear to have been peggd to a bottle number range (big ups to numbering bottles), so just search the forum for "infected yeti." I had an infected bottle in April, and it was not pleasantly sour in the slightest possible way - it smelled like an unkempt dumpster and tasted like gasoline. Trust me, you don't want any part of it. However, I traded the remains in at GD for a new bottle in the 4000's, which I've heard is well clear of the infection range. There are no guarantees, but the range guide can allow anyone to feel reasonably confident they're getting a good bottle.

On the next run, I would hope that the crew there does something this time to avoid another infection. Avery has taken to not putting any beer in a barrel that's less than about 13% give or take from what I heard from a brewer, just to be sure it could kill it. A lot of breweries take higher ABV beer from the barrels and cut it with younger, lower ABV blending beer. Unfortunately, I don't know that GD could change the recipe like that and still know it will come out like Yeti, so they might be stuck. Even an expert at Firestone Walker I talked to at GABF told me there's not a ton that can be done.
  26. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

Have had some this year that were outstanding but the last one I had was similar to Josh's experience, not a good sour in any way. Thin, watery, and just bad. Have two more from the same range and I would be open to sharing or trading at least one of the two I have left from 2011 just to have the dialog.
  27. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (275) Colorado May 31, 2011

Call me crazy, but I think I'd start worrying about quality control before I bottled the beer, not after.

I do think it's crazy that they charge $25 a bottle for their barrel-aged beers and just seem to wing it on the QC. I've hear Matt Bryndleson talk about the lengths they go to at Firestone to avoid contamination (like plating out samples from their DBA union every day), and they seem to be able to barrel age a crap-ton of beer and sell it for far less than Great Divide without many reports of ill beer. If Parabola is $15 a bottle with great QC, I just don't understand why BA Yeti is $25 a bottle with shoddy QC.
    denver10 and tacosandbeer like this.
  28. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (620) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Totally agree, just repeating what I was told. Heck even Bligh's is $18