1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Backacre Beermakers - Sour Golden Ale

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by polarbear14, Nov 26, 2012.

1. polarbear14

polarbear14 Zealot (75) Vermont May 11, 2012

Been waiting to try this since I read about it in Seven Days last December. It's a stellar addition to the lineup of beer in Vermont, and anyone who is a fan of Clara, Arthur, or similar beers from Hill Farmstead will enjoy this. Pretty limited distribution at the moment, a handful of bars and two retail locations. Picked up a bottle at Brewfest Beverage Co in Ludlow earlier this week for $13.49. If I get the chance, will likely grab another to put away for a while.
  2. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Wait, there are retail locations for this? I thought it was bar only. Good to know.
    SupremePie likes this.
  3. dunix

dunix Savant (405) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

These are the two retail locations.

This is the first I've heard of this. Will have to check it out the next time I go to Three Penny.
  4. ilovermont

ilovermont Aficionado (125) Vermont Jul 18, 2012

If anyone is ever making the commute from Ludlow to Chittenden County, will make it worth while for someone to please pick up a bottle for me.

Called BBC when this first hit shelves...was told it was 16$--not sure if that was bad info or if they've dialed back the price. Believe a bottle is 22$ at Three Penny.

Looking forward to trying..
    franklinn likes this.
  5. franklinn

Nice. I checked their site a couple months ago all the listings were bars. Good to see they are in a couple bottle shops down south.

Anyone know who brews the wort?
  6. benbking

benbking Savant (275) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

I picked up a bottle of this at
    • Meulemans' Craft Draughts (Rawsonville) a little over a month ago.
    I drank it and thought it was super tasty. I never figured i'd see a thread on BA. I believe it was $16.
    ilovermont likes this.
  7. Had one at ThreePenny. Had high hopes, but not a fan of this one. Hoping they release another in the near future as I like to support VT beer operations, particularly anyone who is trying to do traditional-style sours.
    NJOssie likes this.
  8. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

does ThreePenny sell bottles to go?
  9. I will be on the look out for this when I grad up Saturday
  10. franklinn

Negative

I think you MIGHT be able to recap the bottle and take it, since it's a large format bottle. But I'm unsure about this rule. But they WILL open the bottle when you purchase it.
  11. NJOssie

ugh... how tough would it be to trade for? A friend of mine said this was his only request and I'd love to bring some back for him
  12. franklinn

There are a few active traders from Southern VT, I think. There are only two outlets and they're not really close to much

• Brewfest Beverage Co. (Ludlow)
    • Meulemans' Craft Draughts (Rawsonville)

Rawsonville might not be TOO far out of the way if you're coming up rt 7, but I don't know for sure
  13. NJOssie

yeah, I am headed up tomorrow to VT but nowhere near either of those shops... guess it's ISO time