1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Backlash Dumps Entire Batch of Death

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by tehzachatak, Jan 15, 2013.

1. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Interesting...although unless it's spoiled I would still be interested in trying it. Rather than dumping it I wish they could release it with some sort of disclaimer (saying it didn't turn out the way they wanted, etc.) and charge a nominal fee for it
  2. CADMixes

CADMixes Savant (250) Massachusetts Feb 29, 2012

Wish he had gotten into what tasted off, what he thought went wrong, etc.
  3. Creetoper

Creetoper Aficionado (180) Ohio Jul 7, 2011

I doubt they could risk bottling something they believed to be sub-standard only to have it end up sitting on shelves, disclaimer or not. It's just not a smart move.
  4. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Yeah that's a pretty tough pill to swallow. Mad props to the head brewer. A hit like that can really affect a brewery for a short amount of time. It looks like their apocolypse series is well revered and accepted, and if a beer isnt' up to that par, then good for them to dump it.
  5. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Yeah he said it was only a week in between tasting the beer... I wonder what changed. Usually you know when a beer is going to taste off... Unless the beer was infected or something.
  6. pwoody11

pwoody11 Savant (445) Delaware Nov 23, 2009

I'm sure they say they dumped it, and are actually going to release it as something different, say, Resurrection or something.
    FosterJM likes this.
  7. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

You cheeky bastard. Well played.

Cheers!
  8. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Release date 31 March 2013?
  9. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

That's why I said "I wish."
  10. They should have sent some of it to a distiller and used the booze in a fortified version in a later batch.
  11. dianimal

dianimal Savant (420) California Apr 18, 2012

...anybody see the movie "Bottle Shock?" (If you have, you'll probably know why I asked.)
  12. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

This is good to hear, although I'm sure it would completely kill their growing business if they did end up releasing this. The only time I've ever tried their beers was at the Belgian Beer Fest, nothing stood out to me, and their brass knuckles logo gives a pretty douchy impression imo, which led me to not think very much of them. Maybe I'll have to give them another shot, but I have to say alot of these newer MA breweries are really focusing alot on Belgian styles (Backlash, Night Shift, Idle Hands, etc.). I really wish someone would make me a killer IPA. Fuck.
    AleLovinRuskie and Patrick like this.
  13. I personally have loved everything I have tried by them and luckily had the chance to meet the brewer on multiple occasions. He is a stand up guy and really down to earth and knowledgeable. No disrespect to the negative posters, but I definitely recommend giving his stuff a second chance! Cheers!
  14. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Only reasonable thing might have been to bottle some for in-house tastings, fests, or other events where the brewery controls the bottle and can explain why it might be "off". This is what Allagash did with Mattina Rosa when it didn't carbonate consistently/properly. It's always been great when I've tasted it, and I'm sure any bad bottles have quietly vanished.

However, this depends on the nature of the defect in the beer and whether it'll get better, worse, whatever. And in the case of Mattina it was already in bottles, whereas here they'd be spending more money to bottle a known-bad beer. That wouldn't make much sense.
  15. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

They would be shelled if they did that!