1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Backlash Salute

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by willbm3, Mar 14, 2013.

1. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Figured I'd post this for those of us in MA who like hops:

Backlash Salute is out now and it's a damn fine beer. Hard to beat at $8 a bomber.

Cheers!

2. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I had it on tap. It was pretty good, but not a whole lot of aroma. Would have liked quite a bit more, but that is typical of your east coast DIPA.

3. Thought the flavor was wonderful, but lacked aroma. If the aroma were a little stronger, this would be a world class beer.

4. willbm3

Totally agree. I gotta stuff my whole head in my snifter to get anything, but the flavor is solid. I'm a little spoiled because I have Heady and Pliny in my fridge now, but this is a solid offering.

5. bleakies

bleakies Savant (430) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Tasty and nicely dry.

6. I really liked this beer but it did lack aroma and was a BIT more boozy than I like. Similar to Bollocks from Brash.

[​IMG]

7. emannths

emannths Savant (435) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Really? $8/22oz will buy you just about any DIPA on the shelf, won't it?

neophilus, cbeer88, Pahn and 2 others like this.
  8. B-Stein

B-Stein Zealot (90) Massachusetts Feb 21, 2013

I agree with the general comments here 1) Solid DIPA and I enjoyed it. It wasn't the most memorable, but very good plenty of body and complex malt profile (I was expecting more of a hope punch as well) 2) As far as price is concerned I am willing to shell out $8 for a beer that makes me weep, but no tears were shed over this beer. Is this common for everyone else, I've found paying $8-10 for 22oz bottles leaves me with pretty high expectations and frequently I am disappointed due to the price point "expectation inflation" not necessarily because the beer is inferior. That said at least for me the beer better be pretty awesome if I'm going to buy it multiple times at that price point.

halfshell likes this.
  9. Patrick

This was my reasoning for buying a bunch of Stone Enjoy By for $8.50. Salute doesn't touch that beer, so I won't be buying a bomber.

10. willbm3

$8 is on the low end in downtown Boston

Stormfield likes this.
  11. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (715) New York Dec 2, 2009

you guys are crazy if you're paying more than $8 / 22oz bottle and it's not filled with double sunshine or heady topper or something. what are you buying that's competitive at that price? i can't think of anything that would be that available that's better than green flash IIPA or hop stupid, and those are never $8...

edit: not meaning to dis salute by the way. would like to try it. just can't imagine $8 is low end for 22oz (D)IPAs anywhere without extraordinary frivolity.

12. we don't have much choice, unfortunately. pricing in boston has been on a steady uphill climb for a while now. even hop stoopid, which has historically been a great value beer, can been found exceeding the $8 mark.

13. We had an interesting experience with this one. After opening we were totally underwhelmed and put the glasses aside. After 20 min, it opened up and had great dIPA character. Certainly not in the Sucks, Heady category but a good local offering

14. willbm3

More often than not when I see Hop Stoopid it's around $6.99-$7.99. I don't really bat an eyelash at bombers unless they're over $10

15. I still see Hop Stoopid for 4.99-5.49

16. willbm3

Where?

Horbar likes this.
  17. Atlas

18. willbm3

A Google search shows me Atlas liquors in Medford, Roslindale, and Quincy...none of those is downtown Boston. Yea I know Roslindale is technically a neighborhood of Boston, but lets not kid ourselves

19. True I was thinking Boston area my bad.

20. Patrick

So I saw that some people think Salute has more aroma than Sucks. Anyone else agree? Did I get a bad pour of Salute?

21. willbm3

Where'd you hear that? The consensus I've heard (and my experience) tell me that the aroma was lacking.

22. Patrick

Twitter. I was just wondering if I was way off, but sucks kicks the crap out of salute in my experience.