1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Backwoods Bastard Chicago Sightings - 2012

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by tinypyramids, Nov 2, 2012.

1. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (270) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Just grabbed a 4 pack....

Came in my local bottle shop literally 30 minutes before I arrived(about 2 hours ago now)...

Hes holding a case for me, he got 2.
    I want to try it first before I pull the trigger on a case..

O and they still got plenty of 4 packs from last years release...
    Might grab a couple to compare to this years, see how its aged.

Only one other store around me(hour west of downtown Chicago) has it...The rest are getting theirs on Wednesday. Should be around for a while, as Harvest ale and breakfast stout are still sitting on lots of shelves.
  2. danp14

danp14 Savant (270) Michigan Dec 12, 2011

If you can't find any and still want it let me know. Also, you might be able to score at least one 4 pack next week from the source for the Bolt Cutter bottle release.
  3. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

If anyone wants to get raped, store by me got it in today and selling for $23.99 a 4-pack...

What a fucking joke
  4. TotallyHosed likes this.
  5. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

yikes.

west lakeview has singles for 4 bucks each. limit 1. you need to ask for it though.

edit: evolution lakeview says tomorrow, and they'll probably be 6 or 7 for a single. i passed.
  6. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (420) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

$3.50 singles at Portage Liquors.
  7. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Not Chicago but Delocks liquors in Munster Indiana got 2 cases and it was 14.99 (total with taxes) for a 4pk. Ended up with two
  8. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (450) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Local bottle shop got a case, my guy held two at $4 each...nice end to a long day
  9. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Ugh! First place I went to gouged me. $7.99 per bottle; I bought two not knowing how much I'd be able to get elsewhere. And I thought it was bad that they charged $7.99 per bottle for this year's GIBCS!

Then I got a four pack each from two other places -- at one of them I saw two Founders cases sitting in the back room and asked if one of them contained BB. Paid $13.99 for one and $14.99 for the other.

I should be able to get another four pack at another place in the morning, which will mean I end up with twice as much BB as KBS this year.
  10. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (225) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

For anybody out west like me, Vat and Vine in Yorkville got 1 case, minus the two I bought. $16 for a 4pack. They also had GL Christmas and Alpha Klaus.
  11. BeerBob26

BeerBob26 Aficionado (125) Illinois Mar 22, 2012

7.99 from the knucklehead at Prestige on cass?
    stevegoz and bgrzywa2 like this.
  12. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Yeah. It's funny -- this time last year they didn't know the meaning of the word "gouge." My entire bunker full of PVW came from there from the days when they used to just have it on the shelves....

13. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Binny's Buffalo Grove (my closest shop) says they haven't seen any Backwoods yet. This was a conversation I had with the new beer manager Wed night. And the next chance they'll get it is next Wednesday. Surely there are other folks here who have hit this store up, does that jibe with what others are hearing? As far as I can tell, this is the only Binny's remaining that hasn't seen it yet.

If I thought this was good info, I'd just sit on it and bide my time. But I've been burned plenty of times (including for this beer) by "call back on X-day". That sort of estimate being wrong seems the rule rather than the exception.

BTW, scored 1 bottle last night! I swear I haven't had to work this hard for bottles, ever. Dark Lord required less effort. :eek:
  14. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

FWIW, stopped there Monday and was told they hadn't received any yet.
  15. foobula

Ok thanks. I'm about ready to call it a day with this one. Can't keep up this level of intensity in the hunt, need to have something left in the tank for Black Friday
  16. Bottles and Cans in Northcenter (Lincoln just north of Irving Park) still has some, 2 bottle max and $3.99/bottle... plus they've got Brown Shugga, GL Xmas, GI Xmas, various Three Floyds bombers, and a few other odds and ends.
  17. Stopped in D & D Liquors as I was walking by it on Division and Damen. I have not purchased beer from them in a long time due to their extremely high prices. I was curious to see if they had some of the harder to get stuff, including Backwoods. I asked one of the workers and they pulled out a 4 pack from behind the counter. I was 99% sure I wouldn't be purchasing it due to the price but asked anyway. Ya they wanted $29.99....needless to say I walked out without making a purchase.
  18. wyatt13

wyatt13 Savant (475) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

:confused: I've seen some lounging around a local Whole Foods for the last week and a half. $13.99.
  19. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

Not surprising at all. Gotta be one of the worst stores in all of Chicago. Total embarrassment - It's only a couple blocks from my apt and I'd spend SO much money there if only they had reasonable prices. FUCK that place.
  20. I've never shopped here before but constantly heard horror stories. I always am a bit weary if what I hear and read on this site is just people adding on to mob mentality, but I remember hearing that they were charging $100 for CBS last year... I figured that couldn't be true, but if they are asking $30 for Backwoods I guess anything's possible...
  21. I was the one who reported the $99 CBS it was true. I also live a few blocks away and wish their prices weren't so abysmal as I would love to have a place close to me with a good selection.
  22. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (320) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

D&D is a joke, they were charging $35 for BCS when it came out and were selling it for $50 two weeks ago. also, my buddy got his car booted in their lot for running to get a taco within five minutes. i've never been and the stories that i hear from this place will keep it that way. now back on topic, $3.99 singles of backwoods at WLV liquors.
  23. It's on tap at Durty Nellies right now. 10oz for $7

They also have FFF Blackheart IPA on tap right now.
    foobula likes this.
  24. foobula

Thanks for the heads-up! Enjoying it now. Liquid butterscotch, I tell you.
    DarkMagneto likes this.
  25. foobula

Props to Ken from Binny's Buffalo Grove for calling it -- Backwoods came in today and is probably gone by the time you read this (limit 2 per person).

Also picked up some Narwhal, Anchor Christmas, and Jewbelation Sweet 16. I'm a happy camper.
  26. I picked up 2 Backwoods Bastard's and a Citra Ninja by Pipeworks earlier tonight. Decided to drink a Hop Rod Rye though! Such tough decisions we have.
  27. Welp I know it'll be gone before I get out of work anyway so here you go guys. Vav strikes again (from twitter):

Adam Vavrick
    Just for the hell of it, i'm releasing from the cellar Founders Backwoods Bastard 2011. Only one case available, 4pks are $19.99