1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad Beer-Shop Behavior

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mgm54, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

So this was supposed to be the year when I would finally have Hopslam. I've been thirsty for it for essentially a year now, as I was not aware of the gem until right after it went out of stock. I was all prepared to buy 2 sixpacks this year, and I had called the beer store within walking distance from me (I do not have a car) about a month ago, asking about Hopslam. They told me that they might not even put it on the shelves, and make it list only, so I was put on said list, and they were to call me when it came in stock. I was in the shop a little over a week ago, and they said they did not have it in stock, and would have it around the beginning of February. That sounded strange to me, but I figured I was not to worry, as I was already on the list. I then go to the store today and ask about it, and I was informed that there two cases had gone in a week, and they sold their last sixpack of it today.

I even passed up having Hopslam at a bar last night to spend time with my Girlfriend instead, thinking I should still easily be able to get my sixpacks. Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? I was completely shocked that they were sold out, without any contact from the store to me. They did contact me when they got BCBCS, and they worked out fine, so I did not expect this at all.

2. If they only got 2 cases with a (2)6 pack limit, there's a chance they probably sold them to people in front of you. The beginning of February isn't very far away...

3. Why would you expect this store to go out of their way to call you when Hopslam came in?

Sounds like another case of BA entitlement that I read about so often on these boards.

4. Mgm54

I don't expect them to hold any for me, but they said they would call me, and they simply didn't. Additionally, I buy about 4 six-packs a week from this place, not like I am some random guy.

5. Were you expecting them to call you to tell you that they didn't have any pulled aside for you?

6. This was my thought. I think it would be poor business to say they are going by a list and not go by it.

7. Maybe they went to people who were higher up on the list and the guy didn't know the details? I do have to point out that ideally girlfriend > beer.

8. Squidly

Squidly Savant (435) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

Depends on your relationship. If you are a big customer, and thought you had a great relationship with these guys, then it'd be right to feel slighted. If you're just some dude who asked to be put on the list...them's the breaks, IMO.

9. TypsiYpsi

TypsiYpsi Savant (295) Michigan Jul 27, 2012

How is this a sense of entitlement? When someone says they will do something they should follow through. The first explanation sounds reasonable, but why would they limit it to 12 bottles a person if they only got two cases and there were more people on 'the list?' That's the part that would bug me.

Solution: Move to Michigan where this is readily available. Or trade.

DStoked, Zach136, MaxOhle and 5 others like this.
  10. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

Bell's typically does two rounds of Hopslam. More than likely, it will show up again in a couple of weeks. Get your name right back on that list and find out what days their trucks come in. It's how I managed to snag a full case of Hopslam with another case on hold for me in a couple of weeks. Cheers and good luck!

11. Mgm54

What they have done in the past was call me when they got a certain beer in stock, and then it was up to me to go to the store and pick it up. They never pull any aside as they don't get large allotments of anything rare.

12. badbeer

badbeer Savant (460) Iowa Jun 19, 2005

Why do you care about my shop behavior?

Jnorton00, PeterJ, Onenote81 and 16 others like this.
  13. Bummer but I wouldn't stress it too much just yet. Last year the first shipment or two sold out within a days or an hour at shops but as the next couple shipments came in (or the distributor put out more) it was much easier to get. I ended up with 3 six packs over the span of about a month.

njhopspop, BearsBrotsBulls and Mgm54 like this.
  14. I kinda want to move to Michigan it's a beer dreamland!!

15. Then, like I said in my first post, there were probably a few people ahead of you. I wouldn't sweat it, honestly--especially since they claim they'll have more soon.

16. Mgm54

Yeah, your right. I was just taken aback when they said they ran out, simply wasn't expecting them to have it in stock yet.

17. I was limited to (4)12oz. bottles last year at my local joint. They're upping it to (1)6 pack this year. So I do understand your limitation er-frustration.

18. I always feel a little bad about these beer shop clerks who are trying to please everybody and always end up disappointing somebody. I think these guys do the best they can and try to be fair. You didn't get what you want this time, move on. Maybe next time you will.

cjoc83 likes this.
  19. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

You should go to your next City Council meeting and demand that they have their liquor license pulled for treating you unfairly. Or I'll send you some if you let me spend time with your girlfriend ;). Or you could realize that it is just beer and that there are plenty of stellar beers already in your region that are available to you everyday and just enjoy those until the next wave hits in February like they told you it would.

20. Chewbacca

Chewbacca Initiate (0) Antarctica Jan 22, 2013

There is a bottle shop on Tatooine owned by a Jawa who wont sell to Wookies. What a jerk.

21. On the flip side of that, as I'm a "beer store clerk", I'm tired of people requesting items then never coming to pick them up. But that's really neither here, nor there in terms of the OP.

rafa2298, KevinGordon and LeRose like this.
  22. That's racist.

23. He spends $ regularly and was on a list the store voluntarily initiated.

Maybe they should have limited customers to 2 bottles if they only received 2 cases?
    I'm confident he wasn't #25.

If I had any Hopslam, I'd probably send OP one.

24. Pecan

Pecan Savant (435) California Dec 20, 2012

There's really not enough information here to go one way or another. The best I can come up with is sorry you didn't get it this go around, it's disappointing regardless of fault.

albertq17 likes this.
  25. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Savant (325) Kansas Feb 16, 2009

First I would speak with the manager and politely ask why you weren't called. (Sounds like after the employees got theirs none was left.) If you aren't satisfied with the response, call daily until the beer arrives. If they ask why you keep calling, tell them. Too bad there's not another store close enough.

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  26. Lists suck, and I don't understand why stores bother with them. Just put 'em out, one bottle limit, first come first serve. It really doesn't need to be any more difficult than this...

27. They made 4000 barrels. You can't get any?

To paraphrase John Mallet, "The aroma is like the cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.

RobertColianni and ffenski like this.
  28. They only received two cases? That's 8 sixer's/8 customers who get some assuming a one six-pak per person limit. Maybe if they would have allocated 1-2 bottles each, you would have gotten "the call".

Keep working to get some. It's out there but sometimes takes a little luck, persistence and work to get the allocated, popular stuff.

29. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

bm sent... stacks around here. i hate when beer stores tell you something and do something else, if you want hopslams we'll make it happen.

Beer stores:
    tell me you don't know
    tell me i won't get any
    tell me the list is full, i'm not VIP, don't spend enough, etc.
    tell me you'll put it on the shelf with no limit when it comes
    tell me to f off and you are putting it all on ebay....
    tell me whatever, as long as it's true! not saying this store lied, and maybe i'm just sensitive being burned by a very dishonest local shop. but it is a bummer when you try your best, are told you should be good and should get a (pretty damn modest/non-greedy) couple 6 packs, only to be ignored when it happens!

anyhoo, hit me up if you need hopslam (anyone!), i'd love to pay a hookup forward, beer-gods know i owe one!

30. patpbr

patpbr Savant (385) Ohio May 25, 2005

Local store had two pallets of it. Party source in Newport KY. You had to ask for it and you can order it online now.

31. What bar did you see hopslam at? Blind Tiger? They bringing up from an out of state distributor or something? Why don't you just go back to the bar tonight or tomorrow? Bell's doesn't distribute to ny so this would be a hell of a find.

32. Shit sucks, but at least you can go get some at a bar.

Centennial likes this.
  33. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Damn girlfriend.

CopperMtnPlowboy and Mgm54 like this.
  34. That's whack. If they said they'd call you, they should call you.

35. No one is asking the tough questions 'round here. What in the hell happened to your car?

SammyJaxxxx, JxExM, albertq17 and 2 others like this.
  36. Stop buying overpriced beer and get yourself a dadgum car instead. Problem solved.

37. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

I all can say is this: If I was to have my own store I would try to be fair but very kind to all my customers. I had the ideal of naming my shop "The Extreme Bottle" which yes would be an extreme metal/bottle shop! :D

Thats all I can say about this.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  38. Why does having a car matter?

39. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

So they got two cases and presumably had a one six pack per person limit? Did you happen to be the 9th person on the list when you first signed up?