1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad Beer-Shop Behavior

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mgm54, Jan 25, 2013.

1. I would have had to have it on draft. Please send us a picture of your girlfriend. Never had Hopslam, but if it is as good as the community says, unless she looks like Jessica Biel you should have had it on draft first and then maybe got your 6 packs. Never pass something awesome on draft for some trim......... Lesson learned?????

RobertColianni likes this.
  2. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

When your right, your right

I don't know what number I was on the list, I just called about it and they mentioned a list and got my name

3. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

He's obviously limited to this one store, judging by the post...just sayin. Of course he is in NYC so even on foot or transit there has to be another option, I would assume. The "get a car smack" is amusing but both NYC & Boston aren't the best places to have a car.

4. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

It's so ltd you really need to damn near be in the store when it arrives. If they promised you that's on them, don't promise on what you can't or won't deliver. I'd maybe find a new store if they promised you just to get you off the phone. Some stores here have a call list, some are 1st come, but if they have a list and you weren't high enough on that list they should have told you so. Should have had the one at the bar, the Gf could have waited.

5. I think it's specist.

beerborn and dachshunddude86 like this.
  6. Blueribbon666

News flash, no one cares about anyone, respect & common courtesy are exceptions @ best and NOT the rule. I'm surprised when people actually do what they say they are going to do...honestly, all these lists and special releases are just like any other hobby, the hype is ridiculous & I find it all rather silly. If I see it, I buy it. And in the end one way or another I find what I'm seeking. It's not just beer, it's any hobby where everybody gets all "lathered up" about something like a teenage girl @ a Beatles concert...RELAX or I'll turn the hose on ya.;)

AngusOg, yemenmocha and NiceTaps like this.
  7. Good point if the op was #5 on the list he did not make the cut. There is no point in calling to tell him that.

8. Hops Before Ho's, Bro.
    Always.

9. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

Well said. Here's another Op making a mountain out of nothing. And he admits that he's scored at the same shop in the past. Well, this time it was someone else's turn. So all's Ok only when he gets his, I guess.:rolleyes:

10. Why even put someone on list if you don't plan on selling that person any. I'm not sure why this is hard. The store knows how many beers have been allotted to them, yes? OK, so 2 cases divided by 4 equals 8 six-packs. Equals, you guessed it, a list of 8 names. Guy #9 comes in, inquires about HopSlam... "Sorry bro, list is full."

11. Blueribbon666

I spied the Hopslam yesterday @ Heinen's grocery store but as I'm NOT a huge hopfreak I was more interested in Bell's Smitten Golden Rye which I'd never seen before, though @ some point I gotta try Hopslam, really respect Bell's & I've surprised myself w/hoppier things like Nugget Nektar & Lake Erie Monster so why not the Hopslam.

12. What I've heard from our distributor down here who carries Bell's, is that the stores that sell the most Bell's products get the most Hopslam, while others get less. Even tho we're supposed to get 30 cases, we might only get 15 or 20. Just dont know yet. We dont even do lists, its first come first serve only. But I have to agree with other people that if this guy only just called the store to be put on the list, instead of going in, then it shouldnt be a surprise that he wasnt notified about the 8 6packs that came in. We get over a dozen phone calls a day about Hopslam, to the point that it gets kind of annoying.

13. rolandboy

rolandboy Savant (250) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

if you're still interested in getting some hopslam shoot me a BM. i'll gladly set up a trade and send some your way!

14. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Only two cases of Hopslam?...Employees took those puppies home for themselves and their friends.

Girlfriends are easier to get than Hopslam.

15. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

I had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago with some KBS. I happened to stumble in a small bottle shop and the owner is nice and very knowledgable so I gave him most of my business. A few weeks before getting KBS he said it'd be no problem holding a 4 pack or two and he'd call me when it's in. Never heard from him so I stopped in after I knew it came out and asked if he got any in. He said he did and sold out it; I'm still a bit upset over this.

16. also, as I'm re-reading this post, the store got only 2 cases...yes, employees and friends got them first, but it took them a week to sell the rest? Next time get it on tap when you see it, the GF can wait 30 damn minutes while you drink an amazing beer. I'm gonna have to say its 75% your fault you missed it and 25% fault of the bottle shop that they suck

robwestcott likes this.
  17. uhm, yeah, we've all had it happen. but, hopslam will be back next year. or alternatively, move to bloomington indiana, cases of hopslam routinely sit on the shelf through april. i walked by a stack this week maybe 6 cases high and 2 cases deep.

18. broseidon

broseidon Zealot (85) Ohio Oct 17, 2012

And we're down to about 2 cases of our in-store allotment, and 2 1/2 of our online allotment so I'd suggest getting down here now ;)

But back on topic, we always get a large number of people asking to put things on hold or "get on the list" and unfortunately the most we can do is send out an email to our mailing list when we get our limited things in/ post on the Facebook and such. As much as I'd love to please everyone, its nigh-impossible sometimes no matter how hard I try and that's the reality of working in retail sales. Though I've heard way too many stories of store clerks flat out lying to customers and telling them there's none of a certain beer in stock when in reality they're just saving it all for themselves and their friends.

19. Bad Bottle Shop Behavior: Calling a Bottle Shop about Hop Slam weeks before they will get it.

broseidon, TMoney2591 and KevinGordon like this.
  20. Misrahi

Misrahi Zealot (75) Florida Feb 11, 2011

I've worked at the only bottle shop in Tallahassee that gets any quantity of Hopslam for the past 3 releases. I don't mind the 80 calls a day, it comes with the territory and its my job to field the calls. We are fortunate to get about 30 cases (believe we are one of, if not bells biggest account in Fl) roughly, and it still sells out within 6 hours. If you have a shop that gets 2 cases, and you complain you weren't one of the maybe 8 people who get a 6 pack, you need to seriously rethink entitlement. You're not the ONLY regular, and by all means the staff should get first shot, speaking from experience, they spend the most and its the perk of the job.

CopperMtnPlowboy likes this.
  21. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

I never call to be put on a list if I expect to get anything. Unless you see them write down your name and number on a list that says Hopslam at the top with a bunch of other names and phone numbers below it, don't plan on getting a call. I've had plenty of times where the know nothing clerk writes my name and number on a scrap piece of paper, and I've come in a couple days later, found the beer I requested on a limit, and asked if my name was on the list, and received blank stares. And even then with an actual list, it's 50/50 whether they do actually call.

OP- I agree with others on here that if you feel like you got taken, you'd best take your business elsewhere. But, I'd make sure you talk to a manager, and let him know that's the reason why you and your 4 six-pack a week purchases are relocating. Also, you're a maroon for passing up on draft Hopslam for a night with the SO. If she doesn't want to indulge your habit for a once a year beer, she's probably not long-term material anyways.

BMitch likes this.
  22. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

When a store says they will put your name on a list and call you when it arrives and it doesn't happen is bad business practice. Learn how to use the word entitlement that you read about so often on these boards.

ericj551 likes this.
  23. Misrahi

Misrahi Zealot (75) Florida Feb 11, 2011

So, assuming the list isn't just consisted of his name alone. (No grand assumption, considering the beers popularity) And knowing they were selling only eight individual 6 packs, why would you or the OP assume there was even remotely enough to get to him automatically? Could have been 30 people ahead of him on the list? Do y'all really think a call to say "Hey, you are not getting any, we ran out" is practical or warranted to the remainder of the probably extensive list? THAT is entitlement. The reality is they received a limited amount, you tried, and didn't get some.

Get angry with the distributor for allotting them only 2 cases?

24. broseidon

broseidon Zealot (85) Ohio Oct 17, 2012

Bad beer shop behavior - pulling a 6 pack of hopslam out of another customer's cart while I'm filling a growler for him and getting upset when you tell him it was part of someone else's order!

MrOH and Mgm54 like this.
  25. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

Unfortunately for me Bell's doesn't dist to NJ :( but I've seen the same thing when Nugget Nectar and FBS comes out. The first shipment gets snatched up but when the second release comes it's easier to get.

26. MinnesotaMoon

MinnesotaMoon Zealot (80) Minnesota Jan 15, 2013

I am torn about lists: awesome if you are on it but sucks when you are not. usually a place will only take enough names to fill what they get to ensure the integrity of the list, but sometime they do not get the quantity they expect...such is life. hope it is just a one time thing and you can get in on the second shipment, maybe find a backup place...if not let me know and we can trade for some surly abrasive.

27. beernut

Never pass up Hopslam while at a bar (only if said bar has Heady, Lawson's Sunshine and any IPA/IIPA from Hill Farmstead).

craigo19 likes this.
  28. beernut

He did not know they were getting in just 2 cases when they first put him on the list. He mentioned that after when he went back. We will never know where his name fell on the "list" but if a store takes your info and says "we will call you when it comes in," guess what? that store should call. It's pretty easy and you win customers over. Expecting something when you are told they will do something is not "entitlement." He's bummed, but i'm sure he'll get over it. and yes, a phone call saying, "we got it in but we only got "xxx" amount and your name was too far down on the list, sorry you missed out" is a fine way to do business. Stores that go above and beyond for their customers keep those customers and always get new customers because of it.

kmello69 and Hanzo like this.
  29. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I called up a shop the week before 12.12.12 asking if they were going to have the Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12. They told me they weren't getting it in and that PA was not getting it in at all. Flat out lie on both accounts.

30. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Like ^this.

I have my name on several lists at a shop and while they always say they will call they never do. :(
    I usually follow up several days after I know they should have it and they normally have my allotment put aside for me. Not sure why I have to call to confirm, but I do.
    They always treat me fantastic otherwise.
    Actually, I have gotten calls before but for beers I didn't know were coming or had my name down for. Friendly call to say "hey, we got XXXX, you interested?". Thats enough to keep me coming back for sure. :)

My last visit in (around 10am on a Saturday) I was invited to have a couple beers...er, tastings... in the back room. ;) :eek: :p

31. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Actually it's speciest. Lol

32. After reading this a week ago, I honestly can't drink a lagunitas sucks without tasting this now. Thanks haha

33. Just be happy your girlfriend doesn't have a waiting list and move on with your life.

match1112 and KevinGordon like this.
  34. erikl48

erikl48 Savant (295) Pennsylvania Jun 29, 2011

Rent a car, drive to Allentown. Shangy's has cases hiding in the back!

35. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Going back to the OP I think there are just as many bad bottle shops as good ones. Point in case: I have a guy near me (in a college area) who's prices are ridiculous...but he has great shit many times. so I buy from him know the markup but enjoying the availability. recently he told me he had a case (just 1) of cherry rye coming in. He said if I wanted 6 I could have them. I prepaid the guy and guess what, never got the case and wouldn't give me a refund, just limited "store credit." Needless to say after 2 years of going there I have yet to go back.

I also had hopslam on reserve (number 6 on list), one day at the distributor where I had said case reserved, someone called asking to be placed at the top of the list for an extra $15/case while I was in there. Needless to say I didn't get any hopslam either.

Moral of the story, yes this shit sucks. But ya know what, makes said beer twice as sweet when you get it IMO

Mgm54 likes this.
  36. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Oh, I forgot to say "PW". Do people still say that? LOL!

37. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

I am not seeing entitlement here. He got on the list and they said they would call. They didn't call and ended up just selling the bottles over the course of a week. They never told him they got the bottles, set any aside, or even notified him the list was being scrapped. I'm not seeing entitlement here.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/entitlement

Entitlement: belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges

38. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

So I have a primary bottle shop I dip into all the time, as do most BA's. I have one employee with whom I do aall my business with. He's knowledgable, and a fellow BA. Sometimes, when I have a couple extras in a trade I kick them to my bottle shop buddy. Guess what? When hard to get bottles come in and I can't make it in right away for whatever reason, somehow a couple get put aside for me. Sometimes it pays to be nice. Just sayin...

jebsinger likes this.
  39. they always screw it up.

40. I do the beer ordering for my store.

If you cold call me, I tell you I don't have it.

If you're one of my regular customers, you already know you don't have to ask for it.

Lists are stupid and pointless.

TheJollyHop and hokiechef like this.