1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bad Bells Expedition Stout

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by 2beers4U, Oct 21, 2012.

1. 2beers4U

2beers4U Member

Just opened a new batch and and was disappointed. First pour it overflowed the glass (at an angle) and lost a third of the beer. Second it is thin, much thinner than last year. With a annual 10 % increase year after year I at leat expected the same quality. At $18 a six I expect more.
  2. Danny1217

Danny1217 Member

Expedition stout is out? I can't find it or any of the other Bell's winter stout releases around here.
    CMUbrew likes this.
  3. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Member

I'm looking forward to finding some so I can determine for myself...
    guillemiro likes this.
  4. pearljam118

pearljam118 Member

Yeah I'll tell the wife I had to buy some to confirm this.
    Skye1024 likes this.
  5. badbeer

badbeer Member

batch number or it didn't happen
    claaark13, JohnB87, CMUbrew and 4 others like this.
  6. Corbet

Corbet Member

The trend of this year's Michigan seasonal stouts being supposedly "thin" continues. It must be the water...
    CMUbrew, Powderhornphil and MaxSpang like this.
  7. badbeer

badbeer Member

Well, when it comes to Dark Horse, I'm gonna plead the fifth.
  8. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Member

I have to say I just spied Bell's fall offerings Hell Hath No Fury, Expedition, Java, etc. etc. and the prices seemed pretty brutal w/$17.99 being the topper. For me the only positive is that they're sixers...
  9. partypak

partypak Member

It seemed verry bitter and didn't seem the same as before. it was a little thin this year
  10. brewbetter

brewbetter Member

I'm going to do a 2011-2012 FBS comparison and I want to do a 2011-2012 Expedition comparison, but I have no 2011 :(
  11. Corbet

Corbet Member

Fresh Expedition Stout is always bitter:

"Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages."
  12. MichPaul

MichPaul Member

These just got released in the last week or two around West Michigan. Grabbed a sixer of Expi and it wasn't thin by ANY means. I thought it was overly bitter, but just needs some time to sit. Was still a SPECTACULAR stout, but just bitter for me who is usually a lover of stouts that are a bit bitter. To me, Pt5th is right up there with this if not better.
    My batch number was: 11384
    Bottled on: 8/28/12
  13. MichPaul

MichPaul Member

Thanks for posting this! This totally describes my experience with it the other night. I have 2 of these that were bottled in January of this year and can't wait to break one open to see what the months have done for it.
  14. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Member

Expedition is always a bit green when fresh. I am not saying it cannot be enjoyable but I withhold judgement until six months at the very least. As for the issue with the pour, there are many variables that could have contributed to that, without much more detail that piece of information is not particularly useful.

I would not go as far as to call this a bad batch, disappointment does not equal lack of quality. If this batch was off I am sure it is an anomaly, this will soon be back to how they have always been.
    siouxbrew, MarcatGSB and adamdd like this.
  15. robconoclast

robconoclast Member

Had some 2010 last night at a brewpub and thought it was alright.
  16. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Member

This is indeed disturbing news. I bought a 6er of this years batch, but since all 6 went straight to my cellar where I won't touch them for at least 2-3 years I can't confirm any of this. I did try a little bit at a beer tasting the day it arrived and thought it was okay (at least, as okay as Expedition is when it's fresh).
  17. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Member

I think Expedition is on par with Black Chocolate. I cant even touch them before March. With BCS, I know its because of the boozy heat. With Expedition, its just too sweet. It just needs time.

OP - The Expedition I had this evening overflowed the glass, but i was over-zealous with the pour.
  18. jbck109

jbck109 Member

19. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Member

i have an 09, getting some '10, have an '11 and just picked up a 6-er of this years. ill be doing a tasting probably next month and ill be sure to document my findings. a rep for bells specifically stated that its supposed to get better with age and that he has had a 12 year old bottle and it was the best beer he has ever had
  20. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Member

Absolutely gets better with age. I have no doubt this can make it to 20 years and still be going strong.
    Bay01 and ABisonEgo like this.
  21. 30-06pack

30-06pack Member

uhh - I paid $21 for my 6 pack of expedition. I probably could have played it cooler and waited for a better price, but didn't see this beer at all last year.
  22. stayclean

stayclean Member

While on the hunt for some This One Goes To 11 today I was a bit surprised to see Expedition Stout, only because I don't recall seeing any around my neck of the woods this time last year (first saw it this Jan). Have a 6er from that batch (1/10/12 I think..), can't wait to see how it develops (sadly I have never had one with more than a few months of age on it).
  23. divineaudio

divineaudio Member

17.99 is a pretty common price for these beers, at least around S.E. Michigan. Fortunately, they are all fantastic brews.
  24. TomFoolery_x

TomFoolery_x Member

I have access to a 6er of expedition from 2011. Bottled 11/01/11
  25. Skye1024

Skye1024 Member

~$18 has been about the avg price around here for Expo the past few years. Same as Hopslam basically. Java and Hell Hath more like ~$14.
  26. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Member

I paid $14.99 for Expedition and Third Coast Old Ale. Where are you guys buying this stuff?! I really feel like a lot of places are trying to soak people for craft brews harder than ever. They know someone will buy it for fear they won't have another chance if its limited or seasonal.
  27. mikecharley

mikecharley Member

Can't wait for this to show up around swpa. Got my name first on the waiting list for a case
  28. steebo777

steebo777 Member

Just drank one last night form the current release, tasted beautiful as always.
    SiRCRX likes this.
  29. Bay01

Bay01 Member

If your stout doesn't taste worse than last years version you're doing it wrong.
    Hanzo, misterid, adamdd and 5 others like this.
  30. thebigredone

thebigredone Member

How is Bells more expensive in MI than other states? 14.99-15.99 in WI for a six of Expedition.
  31. genuinedisciple

genuinedisciple Member

Drank one last night from the newest batch, it tasted the same as every fresh Expedition Stout I've ever had...no "pour issues'" either.
  32. gpawned

gpawned Member

Good to know! I tried this beer a number of years ago and was not a fan, I'll have to give it another try.
  33. misterid

misterid Member

$3/bottle for Expedition is a price i'm more than willing to pay
  34. ThirstT

ThirstT Member

I got mine for about $16/6-pack. This is the first time drinking it. I agree that it's pretty sweet. But, I'm surpised that noone is speaking of the licorice taste. It is more than I particularly enjoy, so I wonder if I have an interesting batch or if you guys just know to expect that flavor. Does anyone else taste it?
  35. cabgoddess

cabgoddess Member

Just out of curiosity...do you prefer to buy your Expedition room temperature or chilled?
  36. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Member

I tried last years and this batch at the same time a couple days ago and there was a pretty startling difference. To the point where I'd probably never drink it fresh. With a year it was very good though.

Edit: I don't buy the thinner this year then last at all
  37. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Member

I am curious how many people who have mentioned off flavors have been regular Expedition drinkers and for how long. Some of these complaints seem to be about how fresh Expo always seems to taste. Those who I know have drank it for years seem to say it is the same as always. This information, as well as what they are using for a basis for comparison would be tremendously helpful in this conversation.
    TheGr8BeerState and cfrances33 like this.
  38. wvsabbath

wvsabbath Member

I dont remember exped being so bitter, i just got a case last week, and have got a case each of the last 3 years. But, this might be the freshest ive had so far, dated 10-2-12. The coffee is ever present, as is the chocolate flavors, but not quite like years past. Maybe after a few weeks it'll become less bitter. I got a 3 year vertical im going to do real soon.
  39. normyk

normyk Member

My experience with 2012 has been excellent. It's rockin' mah tastee buds, yo.

Off flavors? AS IF! I've tasted none.
    We'll wait to judge - until the season's done.
    My favorite stout for chuckin' in the cellar
    I ain't buying yer off flavor talkin' feller.
    It's bad as hell yeah all y'all bitches know it
    EXPEDITION - no WAY mah Bell's'll blow it.

Uh, sorry. Mah brain all messed up an' lyrical tonight. Long story short: Expo is killer. This year is solid.
  40. adamhdv

adamhdv Member

I thought the 2012 expedition was good, needs some age but not bad at all. drank black note on Friday so I'm a little spoiled with my expectations right now :p