1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad brewery tour stories.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RochefortChris, Jan 18, 2013.

1. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I had a great tour of Buzzards Bay. They even let me fiddle with the knobs and throw hops into the copper.
  2. pfwf

pfwf Aspirant (40) South Carolina May 30, 2013

I went on a Westbrook tour a couple of weeks ago and it was really good. The tour was by one of the workers and we ended up in the barrel room. Pisgah in Black Mountain, NC was also a good tour.
    JulianB likes this.

3. I bet when it's one of the brewery workers the tour is great. There's a lot of cool people at Westbrook.
  4. I wasn't to impressed with Capital Brewery's tour. Had to pay got 4 small samples, and they didn't even show everything.
  5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I haven't been but reviews of the tour at Alpha Brewing here in StL don't sound great
  6. atone315

atone315 Advocate (660) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

Every time someone comes in from out of town, they want to go to the Miller tour. I oblige, but I hate it....the 10 minute commercial at the beginning, the bums on tour to "earn" the free beers at the end, the boring over trained too young too even drink tour guides.....and then the horrible free samples at the end. The caves near the end of the tour are kind of cool, but that damn holograph/ video pretty much ruins that also...

I usually follow that tour up with a visit to Lakefront, cures most my/our pains....
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  7. I went on the Sam Adams' tour a couple years ago just after Christmas. The tour guide was hammered. He got through the ingredient parts okay, but then took us into the tank room and in the middle of the water discussion started rambling about people who worked at the brewery... the next guide had to yell at him to move us into the tasting room so he could start his tour.

He then got distracted before going into how to taste a beer so we all started drinking the beer in our hands before he even started. Then he let us vote what our third sample was, and the other dummies on the tour chose the disgusting pumpkin instead of the more rare/interesting choice.

Second worse was Rock Art, assistant brewer takes you up to the overlook to show you the operation, which is fine... and then she starts telling us about their hop harvest coming in from local fields, but she didn't know what kind of hops. I would expect an assistant brewer to be able to answer that question.
  8. + 1 to the best tour ever. I sometimes vacation in Old Orchard beach. Decided to pedal to Allagash ( 50 mile roundtrip) to do the tour. I was the only one. She still gave me her time and answered all my questions. I told her I had tried almost all of them. She then proceeded to open a couple of " test " bottle with just numbers on the labels. Nice. One of the brewers stop by to talk about them. I pedaled back with 6- 750's. Worth the weight.
    kojevergas likes this.
  9. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i think it's pretty lame if tours don't any free samples
  10. Long Trail's is pretty pedestrian self guided tour on the cat walks of the brewery.

No free samples or anything. Really awesome location for a brewery and really nice pub...just boring tour though.

11. This is hilarious.
    kojevergas likes this.
  12. Meh. Most of us are douches. Did you do the brews cruise tour?

13. Sort of, me and my friend were there in the tasting room and ended up tagging along with one of those tours (we were told to do this by the tasting room staff, no idea if that's standard procedure or not when one of those brews cruise tours is there), whoever the tour guide was that day didn't know much beyond the minimal basics. The barrel room was still really cool to see and it was nice that the barrels are very clearly labelled. Also the staff in the tasting room were very friendly and knew a lot about the beer.

Which reminds me of something else, if they haven't done it yet the new Oskar Blues facility in Brevard needs to teach the non-brewery workers who are serving beer in the tasting area how to pronounce all the beer names and/or describe the styles.
  14. Sounds a lot like most of their beer. Pretty pedestrian.
  15. RobM77

RobM77 Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Three Floyds. Wow, do these dudes have an attitude like, "Man, it's so cool being me, you kind of just wish you were me." When someone asked, "Where do you brew Dark Lord?" The answer given was, "Dark Lord is being brewed all around you." Everyone just kind of did a 360 scan and gave a look like, "Whatever". No free tastes either, then again, the tour was free.

Goose Island was kind of a disappointment too. It costs I think $10, the tour is at the Clybourn Street location, which is not the main location. The "tour" consisted of everyone cramming into a rather small space in among stainless steel vats, and listening to about 10-15 minutes of talk. Then whisked away to the tasting room where I think you got about six 3-4 ounce beers to taste, and you kept a Goose Pint glass. The $10 probably covered the glass and the beer you drank, but I was expecting better.

On the flip side, Magic Hat was pretty cool - but that was before they sold out.
  16. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (860) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I found Stone to be right cuntish meself. When on my way to San Diego, I just stop at Lost Abbey instead and never feel disregarded/condescended to like I always do at Stone.
    VictorWisc likes this.
  17. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

your sentence no verb?!!?

But as already mentioned elsethread: in some cases, state law prohibits free samples. It would be helpful if the breweries posted that info, though.
  18. Devman171

Devman171 Savant (295) Maryland May 16, 2013

Shipyard was a terrible tour, free beer, but freezing cold room followed by boiling hot ass room for 10 min, back to freezing cold room..
  19. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i don't time for verbs
  20. Benish

Benish Savant (460) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Unfortunately for me I have a severe hearing loss so I cannot follow what the guide is saying. Sometimes my friends will relay to me what the guide says - especially if something funny was mentioned. Plus a lot of guides have big beards (especially one at Lakefront Brewery) and I cannot read their lips....I just stick to drinking the beer and smelling hop pellets.
  21. ajtorres311

ajtorres311 Initiate (0) Florida Mar 13, 2013

I usually go to breweries around when tours start, skip them and then have the whole tasting room to myself lol. The one brewery tour I really enjoyed was Abita. The guide was a brewer so he knew quite a bit and was able to answer all the guests' questions, plus, free unlimited 12 oz. pours. Can't beat that.
  22. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

I have to agree with the Yuengling tour. It is a tour that I would do again in a heartbeat.
  23. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I've heard other people have had similar issues with the same guy.
  24. I agree, Worst tour ever! I will never go near the brewery again or their beer.
    Devman171 likes this.

25. On my last visit to San Diego I drove up to Escondido intending to stop at Lost Abbey/Port then head to Stone afterwards. I had such a good time at Lost Abbey that I just stayed there the whole night until it was time to drive back, never did make it to Stone. Besides all the samples being $1, there weren't any tours happening but one of the brewery employees was kind enough to chat with me for a while and show me around the barrel room, discussing various things that were in the barrels. Then he let me know the manager from Toronado had brought a couple of bottles of Cable Car up (for on-premise consumption) and asked if I wanted to buy one! I rounded up a couple of guys at the bar and we shared the bottle, capped off a great visit.
    kojevergas likes this.
  26. C20Percent

C20Percent Savant (315) Virginia Aug 24, 2011

I've toured Heavy Seas, Weyerbacher, Lost Rhino, Port City, Sam Adams and Guinness. I've been to Dogfish Head, and although I didn't go on the tour, I could have easily snuck on had my wife been willing. Weyerbacher and Heavy Seas were the best. HS kept talking shit on Coors. Lost Rhino and Weyerbacher gave me lots of inside information. At this point I expect repetition during the tours.
  27. When Magic Hat was on Flynn Ave back in the day I walked into the back and a drunk guy yelled at me for awhile. I'm not sure if that counted as a tour, though.

Absolute best was when I toured Fuller's in '95. It was me and a small group of chemistry students from France. This little old lady tour guide probably answered 80 questions in 40 minutes, and took us everywhere in the brewery. Then she let me tap a new cask in the tasting room when we kicked the old one.
  28. If you're near Pottstown, you've still got a good hour plus drive NE to Yuengling ;) but you could stop in to Sly Fox first and have one for the road...

(Not the first to make that error, of course...).
    domnalbrecc likes this.
  29. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (400) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Oh that's embarrassing! yeah... Yeungy is in PottsVILLE :eek:
  30. MaJ-Estic

MaJ-Estic Aspirant (30) Maryland Jul 10, 2013

Ayinger.

My wife and I had made arrangements with the Staff at Ayinger to give us a tour, and had a date and a time set.
    This was a few years ago, before mobile communication devices were as readily available.
    I used to Tend Bar, and would have to special order Future shares of their Oktoberfest months ahead of time, yet always tried to have one of their beers on my menu.
    We hung out in Munchen, Deutschland, then took a train 40 minutes to the town of Aying, then walked 20 minutes to the brewery.
    When we got to the front offices, they told me they had no tours that day, and did not know who I was.
    They also said if I wanted to taste the beer, ( I asked, after all the time and trouble it took us to get there, for samples ) I could buy it at the bottling factory across the way.

A total bummer of a trip, and though I still support the beer, its hard to support the establishment.
    *sigh* What is one to do?
  31. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Did a tour of a macro with my dad and his business associates. It was like a team building thing and he wanted me to tag along since I was free that day, make it a father-son thing. Poor guy, he was never any good at forcing these things :D He's never been a beer drinker (despite my frequent conversion attempts), so he probably had it even worse than me. Had to act super interested during the process of being explained how they brew a lager that actually sounded okay, and then proceed to filter and boil the shit out of it.

Had to sit down and drink the filth they produce in prissy little tasting glasses while still looking super grateful and appreciative of the whole thing. Then got to go to the bar across the street that actually served the unfiltered version of their basic lager, which was at least a pretty nifty little surprise. Not gonna set the world on fire and still hardly any good, but it was the nectar of the gods compared to what we'd been drinking.