1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad business vs. getting beer you want

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by brianthelion23, Feb 13, 2013.

1. I say you can have that name. Hope you get rich and can buy any beer you ever want
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  2. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

How about I meet you in the middle at 42.50 but we will also pointlessly age it in a barrel for you. Or you can just give me your Lente...
    afrokaze likes this.
  3. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

My favorite shop has the unfortunate distinction of being out of the way for me now...though I used to work right near it...so I don't get in as much as I'd like these days...what with fuel prices and all...but I make it a point to show up at least once a month...usually more...but I at least make it to the monthly tasting...and I like to bring along things to share from trades or travel...and pick up the stuff they've been kind enough to set aside for me.

One time they screwed up and sold a bottle that was supposed to have been held for me...but I still go...because they're awesome...and shit happens.....sure gonna miss 'em when I move far away...but I'll be sure to swing by and share some goodies any time I find myself back in town.

I'm may be promiscuous...but I always come home.
  4. TheBoog013

TheBoog013 Savant (350) California Feb 24, 2011

Without piling on to your earlier post, if this is sincere it's nice to see someone openly admit when other perspectives have helped them see the error of their ways. Personal growth and shit. Good for you!

Cheers!
  5. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

Hmmm.

Let's see. Sell it to you or folks that do 300 a week. Why shouldn't he take care of regulars for hard to get stuff when others just come in for special releases or tough to get items? That .50$ you save on a six at the big box doesn't seem worth it. Always support the local guy.
  6. Called Wal-mart, asked if they had any shitty products.

Mad they didn't know who I was and just put it all out on the shelves.
    ESeab and 5thOhio like this.
  7. That's the thing, I don't simply go in there for hard to get brews. I go in there for a variety of new things to try, However since I don't go there 7 days a week and spend $300 a week there I guess I'm not considered a " Usual ". I've bought hundreds of singles from this guy, at least 3 dozen six-pack's, a ton of bombers, and even some cheapies for the sake of experimentation. But once again, If you don't blow half your check on his business he doesn't hold anything for you. I'd like to support him, but considering the fact than an Anderson's is 15 miles to the South, And they typically have EVERYTHING I'm looking for, At better prices, I tend to go there more often. They don't play favorites at those chain stores. They get it, put it on the shelf, and if you buy it you buy it if you don't you don't.
  8. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

Sounds like your guy should recognize your patronage a little better. Unless he totally ticked you off I say give 'em another shot--let him know he is your go to place or stick to the other place. I think most local stores recognize loyalty but with such demand for things like KBS etc, they will make people unhappy no matter what. Kinda stinks.
  9. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (310) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

I spend at least a hundred a week on beer/spirits, the thought of black balling a store due to not recognizing me never crossed my mind. WTF man??
  10. Does the manager of the new store recognize you over the phone?
  11. Yup. One of the things that drives me nuts on BA is the sense of entitlement some people feel they deserve.
    Matrix said the owner didn't recognize him over the phone yet the owner obviously recognized him when he saw Matrix for the first time in a year.

Sounds like sour grapes on Matrix's part.

Edit: OK. Well seems Matrix has kind of had his perspective changed on this...glad to hear it.
    ESeab and Vav like this.
  12. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I read your whole story. I disagree with anyone who thinks that owner is doing the right thing. I would understand if he saved ONE six pack for a guy, but a whole case? That's just obnoxious. I can honestly say I spend more than I should on beer . I also work part time under 20 hrs a week since August and don't even make $300 a week that that guy is SPENDING on beer. So just because your make a lot of money you have the right to, not only buy a whole case of sucks, but have the owner tell others that they can't have any and even worse lie to them and say there isn't any to begin with. This is actually making me more mad as I type. I would have walked right back in there after you saw the guy and talked to the owner.
    Since my wallet can't do the talking for me I usually just find 'the beer guy' of the store and talk his ear off so he knows my passion. That's how I got two FU Sandy glasses this week for free and didn't attend a single tap event. I even forgot an owner of one store telling me he'd save one for me. Good guys (I bring him a beer here and there that they don't sell at the store, and he trumps me and brings me beer they don't sell in this State)
  13. hornsup

hornsup Savant (335) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

At least he has one friend ^.

Bet he wishes he never posted this one. Retreat OP
    VDODSON likes this.