1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad Trader Alert: CJS

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by kdmcguire10, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nice to see that its going to work out in the end (kindof), at least you get your bottle of sugar on top of sugar back.
  2. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

I have often found that some people will accuse others of doing what they, themselves, do. I'm not saying that this is the case here, I'm just saying...
  3. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

That couldnt be more vague....
  4. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

Really? He is saying CJS has accused the OP of something (swapping beer and re-sealing) that CJS himself has done.
    BaltimoreBeerGuy likes this.
  5. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

A+ for this thread. I like when bad traders are creative in a way rarely seen. This guy is an ass. As someone who had CBS from at least 7-8 bottles and also on draft at various points over the first 6 months it was released, I can say it has a TON of variations. I had bottles 2 weeks apart that didn't taste like the same beer. I'm sure 16 months in, all that variation on top of aging is wreaking havoc on it.

At least he is shipping your DL back, but he should also re-imburse for the original shipping of the DL and send you some insulin on top since you'll now have to drink the DL yourself.
  6. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Obviously you and Mongo received fake bottles. Pretty clear cut case.
  7. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

The icing on the cake would be if the first bottle CJS got was fake. Finding something like that out would be the most intense jimmy rustling I've had in quite sometime.
    franklinn and Beerontwowheels like this.
  8. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

When (if?) you get it back you should accuse him of drinking the Dark Lord, filling it with Guinness and re-waxing it with melted crayons.
  9. ISO: fake beer FT: wax and electrical tape
    FishAndBeer likes this.
  10. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

5 pages of reading and CJS doesn't post after getting called out for reading the read on page 1!?!?!?! this thread failed to deliver :(

i'd still put the guy on some sort of list even if he ships back your original box. i don't think any of us want to trade with someone who will trick us into sending a box to pay for some imaginary scenario of counterfeit beer. CJS should be ashamed of himself for saying that he had CBS before and that this tasted differently in the same breadth of accusing you of messing with "the wax" on CBS.

all the cool kids know that JCN is the beer to fake, not CBS. sending counterfeit CBS around is like counterfeiting $1 bills. at least go for $5 bills if you are going to the trouble of faking a beer.
    BobZ, dachshunddude86 and Hindsight like this.
  11. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

I'd give the guy an extra 27% in this case.
  12. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Threads like this should serve as a warning to the few assholes out there who are considering trying to screw the rest of us enthusiast: Fool me once, FUCK YOU, you will be exposed for what you are!
  13. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

So, I should open up that growler of RareR to make sure it's not Bud Light?
  14. It's too bad he's sending you the o.g. box back instead of the Huna. Giving him DL for Huna was probably your only chance at avenging the lopsided RareR Dos trade. So sad.
    Beerontwowheels and Franch like this.
  15. gory4d

gory4d Savant (475) New York Apr 14, 2007

He had posted a FT thread that everybody jumped on, and so responded there. That thread has since been deleted.
  16. It's really amazing what CJS is actually accusing the OP of. He believes he set up a slightly lopsided trade for RareR DOS and, in order to win the trade, counterfeited one bottle and then went to the trouble of waxing and taping it. Why wouldn't he have faked the other bottles to? Why wax it if you counterfeited it? Seems like more work, right?

How can you be THAT paranoid?
    jrnyc likes this.
  17. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (525) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

This!

I know we have had this debate ad-nauseum; however, I think CJS (and those like him) should be put on the bad trader's list. He's sending the DL back so he is essentially not a THIEF but is there any question that he is a BAD TRADER?

I might be wrong here but trading is supposed to fun not a lesson in a**hole management. We all get that lesson every day in life, why add it a hobby we undertake for fun?

Put him on the list and do everyone who trades a favor (especially some noob who may get stung)!

Perhaps, Scott or some others who trade far more than I could weigh in here?
  18. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Noob here. I followed this and the sunglasses at night thread and learned so much about trading. Whether he makes it onto the bad trader list or not (they both should), you guys should know these threads are educational and probably do serve as a good warning/deterrent to would be bad traders.
    The only issue I see is when they get nuked, other noobs never get to learn from them.
    Thanks for being a great community (with the exception of a few fucksticks).
  19. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Amen!!
  20. I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you all for about an hour of entertaining reading.

That being said, I think we should all crush CJS's porch with fake, taped, and waxed beer, include real beer and ask him to report back his findings. Just my idea of poetic justice...
    arniepnminne likes this.
  21. You mean like someone drinks a real CBS and sends him the "second runnings" in the original bottle?
  22. No black xantus jokes ITT? I am dissapoint.
  23. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Paging Arbitrator...........
    Arbitrator likes this.
  24. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I have found too many good people to trade with to even think of recommending trouble traders. This site has a great abundance of trading partners par excellence. All you have to do is the simple nice things a fine beer lover would naturally do as a fine beer trader to establish a good relationship with most of the good ones.

Not even commenting here on this situation. Here is my review of how our trade went.

I sent him two links. He didn't read either one, though he told me he did. There is no way he read a word of alewatcher or seekabrew, no fucking way, it was like he read it and did the opposite. Communication was laughable he didn't adequately make the trade, nor even say exactly what was coming, though it was clear what was expected. Not as an extra, he sent me a beer brewed 2000 miles from him, but which I can easily drive to the brewery to get. It was like saying, "seekabrew?Hahahaha".

This was after him sweettalking me after I contacted him to be nice and set him straight about auction ISO listings, which he blatantly was doing. He was in another problem trader situation then, and other traders were ganging up on him on the forum. He told me all kinds of s--- about that too, talked a buncha s--- Conclusion he has a lot of s---, in fact he's full of s---.

Packing job was as if I was on hidden camera being pranked.

I have traded with lots of great folks, including new traders, many first times, latest named ndelpego, communication and packing and timeliness just stupendous. Most everybody you will meet here with normal precaution are fine people, fine beer lovers, really smart and generous.
  25. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (335) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Totally!
  26. During the trade, was it made clear WHICH CBS you'd be sending?
    Just to be honest, Flounders Counterfeit Breakfast Stout can be easily mistaken for the real one.
    It has that unmistakable "home waxed with care" look to it that gives it away every time though. :rolleyes:

What a complete jack wagon. I have never heard a single good thing about this guy.
  27. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (175) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

I need a bunch of empty bourbon county cherry rye bottles now...I have come up with a plan to mix a ton of guinness with some jim beam red stag and trade it all as cherry rye.
    aasher likes this.
  28. BCBS mixed with maraschino juice might be a little more believable.
    aasher and Squidly like this.
  29. Does it tastes like that sounds?
  30. Idk. I've never had Cherry Rye.

31. Kris, I have received and read your submission to the BT list. I will deal with it shortly, care to send me a message? I needed some more info from you and your inbox is full.
    dachshunddude86 and BobZ like this.
  32. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

This entire thread was very intriguing to read. I actually completed a trade with him a few months back with him shipping first and had no issues. Shortly after our completed trade, some one bm'd me for a reference for him. I had no choice but to report back that the trade went off with zero problem (except that he shipped vua USPS). If you were the one who bm' d m, then I apologize. I won't be trading with him again.
    mdvatab and dksl16 like this.
  33. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

You did nothing wrong. Your trade went off well, and you said so. You had no idea the guy would turn into a complete maniac
    Bluecane, BobZ and dachshunddude86 like this.
  34. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Heck, he might've completed a good trade or two just to fool people.
  35. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

CJS suspects he got a rare imperial stout that was recapped with something shitty?

36. good to hear it sorta worked out kris.
  37. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

CBS has known bottle variation; it's not recapped crap. This guy is an absolute jerk.
  38. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

FOUNDERS has known bottle variation. The consistently knock it out of the park with their brews, but bottle variation has always been an issue for them.

Doesn't matter what that guy says at this point, he could claim it was recapped, he could claim it was stored horribly and tastes terrible, or he could say it was stolen from his porch.... he's just trying to give an excuse to not be what he is, a bad BA.
  39. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

Not to say this was done but the very first trade I made was for a raison d extra and the bottle came with just a homebrewers gold cap and not the normal flourscent yellow one. The guy that sent it swore he bought the bottle that way and until I outed him did he finally send me a shitty bottle of hoppin frog to "make up" for it. While it is possible people do recap and refill (not sayin you did) I would still have sent the beer as a fuck you I am bigger than stooping down to that level and can still look at myself in the mirror.
  40. Why the hell would somebody refill a Raison D'Extra? For one, you can't exactly easily find another 18% Belgian ale to refill it with to trick somebody like you could with a bourbon barrel stout. For two, they were still lingering on shelves as recently as a year ago, despite not being made for a few years at that point. Not exactly a super rare whale that would justify refilling a bottle...

I have no idea about your circumstance, but what year was the bottle? DFH didn't always use those fluorescent caps. I think they cutover in roughly 2006...
    Romulux and Gosox8787 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.