1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad Trader Alert: CJS

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by kdmcguire10, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

I believe it was an 08 (first trade was early 2011) i had google imaged it and could find nothing back then other than the yellow cap or maybe a cork n caged bottle. I forgot to mention the label had a big "X" drawn through it with a black sharpie - another thing that made me feel something was amiss right away.
  2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

So you mention the cap but not the gigantic "you've been had boy" X on the label?

Yeah I would say that would make any sane person question the contents.
  3. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

I know Im an ass i forgot the probably the most important part
  4. I think the most recent vintage was actually 07
  5. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Post fail
  6. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

To put a bow on this thread, CJS sent back my original box with the Dark Lord and all three extras (Lawson's anniversary, Arcadia Barrel Aged Impy Stout, and New Glarus Barleywine). All appear to be normal and no sign of opening the bottles and refilling them.

For much cheaper, he could have just sent me a Hunahpu, but that's neither here nor there at this juncture.
  7. Yeah, but now you're listed as someone he wouldn't trade with again....

Traded with, but would not again
    cavedave Snyder415 kdmcguire10
  8. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

Shouldn't posting something like that be in breach of the rules?
  9. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Don't see how. The bros don't get involved in the bad trader shit.
  10. Actually that's a totally acceptable thing to do. Given the situation here, it's certainly not fair to you, but you can't stop it. He did trade with you, it went bad, and he wouldn't trade with you again - it's his opinion (however stupid it may be) and his profile. cavedave is a very reputable trader, and I'm pretty sure being on his "would not trade with again" list hasn't hurt him in the least, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

If I were you I would just screenshot this thread in case it gets deleted one day, and then if anybody ever asks about it send it to them.
  11. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

The better question is how many people he traded with in the past would now actually want to be on his "would not trade again with" list based on this thread?

I know if I had traded with him before, I'd ask him to add me to his list.
  12. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

cavedave being on a "would not trade again" list is basically like saying "i am a shitty trader" anyway.
    BobZ, oregone, leschkie and 8 others like this.
  13. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

To be fair, I've had a legit bottle with a giant X on it. The label was mangled, and as such it wasn't supposed to be distributed and was given out to friends of the brewery, I assume with other "can't be distributed" mistakes. The guy I sampled it with likely wouldn't have sent it out, but if he did there shouldn't have been any suspicion.

I don't know why that would happen here, but if the label was damaged (especially if it hit the UPC) I could see it being X'd but still be legit.

Of course, with a weird cap it doesn't help the case any.
    MordorMongo likes this.
  14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Of course of all people on the entire site it is YOU that comes at me with that! ;)

And yes you are correct, but it is certainly a red flag....especially if not stated prior to sending with an explanation.
  15. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Well having experienced it I just HAD to.
    Agree. If you have a bottle that you believe to be to be legit but would be concerning to someone else, you're obligated to tell them. Not disclosing that is some kind of move that only a jerk would make.
  16. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Haha if he had M and was offering to send it first for a 6 pak of Bud Light I wouldn't do it.

So yeah, he wouldn't trade with me again, because I put him on ignore and he cannot contact me.

I wish he would get me off his page altogether, but I guess he thinks he did just fine and it was my fuckup. I bet he ends up with more on that wouldn't trade again list than on his completed trade list.

Or, this is a longshot, maybe he will read alewatchers blog, maybe he will use seekabrew, maybe he will try to be a good trader. Like I said, a longshot.
  17. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Advocate (505) Connecticut Sep 22, 2010

Soo we all agree he is a douche and can not be trusted, but the real question needs to be asked: how was his home brew? :p
  18. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

The Belgian Saison with Sorachi Ace was enjoyed by my drain. It was a gusher, and that was its best quality. The others were worse.
    richkrull likes this.
  19. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Wow someone found a different creative way to screw another ba out of beer. Just when you thought it couldn't get a y worse. This is worse than straight up just stealing it . Asshole.
  20. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Shit, I just skimmed through this rather long, six month old thread for this?

That was a terrible payoff. :(
    codysjb likes this.
  21. nc41

I'm not here to amuse you. :)
  22. whiskey

Well, you definitely kept me busy for 5 minutes!
  23. nc41

Busy? You typed 7 words and a number, stretching it?
  24. whiskey

The 5 minutes was reading through a 6 month old, 6 page thread expecting some kind of interesting update, not the typing of the response.
  25. nc41

Ya, I know.I only read the first 3 posts and skipped to the last one too. Just tired of guys ripping off guys for their beer and put in my .02. Accusing a guy of switching beers is absurd, it was the 1st I've seen that one.
    whiskey likes this.
  26. Lord I guess I am just not that brite. I read all 225 posts. That was easily a half hour of my life I will never get back.
  27. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

CJS is officially blacklisted in my book.

Kris is legit
  28. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

If you get a bottle of CBS, and decide to sit on it, that's your bad
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.