1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad trader alert: Dewarner82

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by cfh64, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (825) New York Dec 13, 2009

could be. however, you think someone who just robbed you of beer over the internet will go to the police to report harassment, especially when there is a paper trail of what happened? you'd certainly have an opportunity to plead your case and you simply explain how you were ripped off...plus if the guy reports harassment, he'll need to prove it. as long as you continue to leave messages with just the facts, i really don't see how this can backfire for you.

it is a lot easier to just resolve the issue with the original trader (ie. send him back his beer or your end of the bargain or if the beer is gone, make some sort of arrangement) than to physically go to the police.

alternatively there are a lot of easier ways to get your 'revenge' and still be pretty free and clear legally. check out this reply from an attorney that i found from a minute of googling. it is just as easy to find this article as it is to figure out how to mask your IP and all that jazz. i am continuously amazed by how many people are willing to rip off others over a few beers while giving out oodles of their personal information in the process. if you rip someone off and they mess with you, you kind of got what you deserved (and asked for).

and in the end, getting a warning note from the law that i need to stop harassing someone who ripped me off kind of tells me that i got my revenge if i bothered them enough to warrant them going to the police.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  2. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

As someone who admitted to attending said nerfest multiple times I don't think my post really qualifies as nerd hate.

3. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Which is why...a kind message...was in my post.

We've found people before on FB that have resulted in the safe delivery of their beers.

MordorMongo likes this.
  4. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Sorry to hear the bad news.......pond scum will always exist unfortunately.

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell !

gkatsoris and cfh64 like this.
  5. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (665) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Oh really...this almost makes me want to set up a facebook account but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it. Any pictures of him drinking my beer? Thanks for taking the time to find it though.

6. cfh64

Thats great to hear. He should change that to stolen sours/wilds. I bet the ones he pays for don't taste as good.

smutty33 likes this.
  7. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

False, stolen beers taste like the tears of children who learn there is no santa claus. To those evil fucks that steal beer there is no better taste in the world.

8. Dammit, Brad. Hate to hear this shit. Seriously, people, he's a BA above and beyond. I hope that asshole gets severe acid reflux and vomits every time he drinks a sour FOREVER.

Boz12, libbey, cfh64 and 1 other person like this.
  9. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (290) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

Like x 5

HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  10. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Touche my good sir. Those damn trap cards get me everytime.

RedBeeron likes this.
  11. Pittsky

Pittsky Aficionado (195) Florida May 28, 2009

As a LEO I can tell you that people will goto the police and attempt to file charges on ANYHING and EVERYTHING. All it takes is writing a statement on their part and stating they want to press charges. And if there is Probable Cause, charges can be filed.

You're right. They will need to prove it, and they can by showing their phone records. The one element that isn't there in this case is the fact that the douche hasn't even picked up the phone to tell him to stop calling him. If/when he does that, whoever calls repeatedly after that can be charged with misdemeanor harrassing phone calls.

The fact that he took his beer that was sent over state lines "illegally"/against policy in the first place is irrelevant. The OP send him the package willingly. He didn't steal it. Sucks but it's true.

Just to be clear I'm just stating my state laws in this case...if the guy told me the true story of why we wanted to pursue charges I would laugh in his face.

What is this warning note you speak of? LOL That made me laugh a little

12. A seriously dick move, sorry to hear about this. That was a damned fine box.

13. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

This really sucks balls. If I lived near this dude I'd go drop a deuce on his porch.

chase2634, evilc, Boz12 and 3 others like this.
  14. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

Heart of the cards, man. Heart of the cards.

15. cfh64

I forgot to mention how after he was late sending the box the first time he said he was going to Hill Farmstead later that week and would send one of their beers as an extra and consider it a delicious apology. I love it when they sweet talk you right before bending you over, classy. Oh well, we'll see what happens both on his end (which I'm quite sure will be nothing) and on my end.

As I said, I know the majority of peeps on here are true advocates, generous and badass in general which is obvious by just reading through these responses. Speaking of which, it's been great seeing some old trading partners come out of the woodwork and the friendly advice and support of BA's I have yet the pleasure to know. I've also been laughing my ass off at some/all of the comments, especially the last one by BigTomz. Oh, and Mongo's "lump of excrement" frequently comes to mind.

In matter of fact, I probably got more enjoyment out of this thread for all the reasons above more than I would have a few beers. I'm seriously floored by all the awesome responses, it restores my faith in BA. Fuck this douche.

Boz12, gkatsoris, miketd and 2 others like this.
  16. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I was trying to figure out a way to order a couple hundred bucks worth of Girl Scout cookies or Omaha steaks and bill them to his parents' house...and even have the Girl Scout troop show up on their doorstep (dodging BigTomZ's deuce pile first of course) looking to collect twice a week.

Alas, I'm spent. Sorry. Seriously, put that ass clown's number in a looped redialer.

cfh64 likes this.
  17. I'd probably advertise a massive yard sale at his place via Craigslist. Tell people that it will be an indoor yard sale, starting at 6am on a Saturday and to please ring the doorbell for entrance.

18. cfh64

Just wanted everyone to know there have been a few people in this thread who have offered to send me a box of beer and a few people have privately mailed me as well. Thankyou, thankyou, and thankyou but NO ONE should have to make up for this "lump of excrement's" lack of values. As I've said it's on him not anyone else.

I don't want to sound ungrateful because I truly am. It makes me want to send a box to all the people who offered to send me one just because they're awesome like that. It really is the thought that counts, I can't thank all of you enough but it just doesn't seem right for someone else to give away their beer and money due to this (insert word here).

19. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

I hate to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and I'm in no way excusing his shitty behavior...but everything you've said about your exchanges gives me hope that he pops up some time in the next couple weeks and makes good on what he owes you. Call me naive and an eternal optimist but people do get busy and put shit like this off all the time.

Still a dick move, yadda yadda yadda, no doubt...but I really do hope I'm right.

20. LambicKing

I don't care who you are, you don't post some other dude's beer in your fucking Gots until you shipped your end to him and he received.

gkatsoris, gpawned and cfh64 like this.
  21. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Very true... In Florida it falls under 365.16, harassing phone calls, which is a misdemeanor.

22. shebby

shebby Savant (280) Utah Feb 29, 2012

Sorry to hear this! As someone who's also recently had a problematic trade, there's nothing worse than feeling like you're going to get screwed out of your end of the deal. Especially when your box is that awesome. I tend to think, like gpawned, that this guy will make good as well, especially since you have all his info and know where to find him. Sometimes badgering (within reason) really is key. But it sucks that he is stringing you out and only creates a huge headache for you. Best of luck and hopefully you get your beer soon!

gpawned and cfh64 like this.
  23. gpawned

Totally agree...but that is one of the reasons I think this guy may actually "intend" to send the beer one of these days. I just have a hard time believing someone would be that fucking crass.

LambicKing likes this.
  24. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

Why don't all bad traders get this treatment?

It sucks that it happened, but it is good to see the community ( as almost a whole ) come together and not defend the trader.

cfh64 likes this.
  25. LambicKing

EDIT: That just tells me he has no intention of doing so, since it was 2 weeks ago.

Some people never cease to amaze (read: disappoint) me.

26. cfh64

Agreed, sorry for your problematic trade as well. Earlier today I was actually thinking of starting an LIF of some sort for people who have gotten f'ed on trades. I just have to wait for some more releases over the next few months to put together a nice box and figure out the details of the LIF.

27. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

When you do so hit me on a convo and I will donate to it, will even grant you the DICK MOVE LIF naming rights ;)

Seriously though once you get the idea set allow me to send you something nice to add to the box.

Cheers!

28. Hindsight

Hindsight Savant (255) Ohio Oct 8, 2011

Sorry man, this is horrible - If I lived in Mass, I would deliver a flaming bag of poo to his doorstep for ya. Here's some retribution (Bad Traders List) for ya... https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub...0cxMHJuRFE&authkey=CNr27MII&hl=en&output=html

Hope this ruins his hobby...

29. Go with animal fecies, as your dna would be in your dooky.

cfh64 likes this.
  30. cfh64

Lol, you people amaze me. I hope Sidebordz doesn't mind me mentioning this but its too cool not to. We have traded once in the past and since I requested no free boxes he offered to send a 6 bottle shipper with some awesome beers AND a LeBlue (holy shit!) for 6 beers of my choosing in return. I declined but I thought it was a clever loophole. Thanks again Blake.

gkatsoris, gpawned and Sidebordz like this.
  31. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I have never sent this but it seems pretty funny.
    Sorry OP got screwed on this trade.

32. Sidebordz

Sidebordz Aficionado (205) New York Apr 23, 2011

I tried to find some type of loophole! That LeBleu is yours whenever you want it! Hope this balloon knot makes good on his half of the trade for you.

gkatsoris, gpawned and cfh64 like this.
  33. cfh64

Attn past trading partners. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE OUT MY ADDRESS!!!! Thanks.

34. Dat

Dat Savant (340) Texas Aug 5, 2007

:D Anyone that sends me Brad's address, I'll send you a bottle of HF as appreciation (non-draft).

huskermike12, libbey and gpawned like this.
  35. Super lame to hear as always. Assuming the 82 means 1982 that's pretty old to be living at home and trading beer. Bum.

36. gpawned

This thread is heart-warming and hilarious despite the unconscionable behavior that led to its inception. Kudos to you all.

miketd and cfh64 like this.
  37. cfh64

Lol, I really have nothing at this point. HF is apparently like crack to BA's, they will do anything for it. YOU WIN, probably. Cheater :p

38. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (825) New York Dec 13, 2009

so i did some quick googling on harassing phone calls and apparently there are a few stipulations to making harassing phone calls and a lot of ways to make some solid pinpointed calls repeatedly without breaking the law. as long as you identify yourself and keep it civil, seems like you can repeatedly call to try to get an answer as to where your beer is. based on what i read in my 2 minutes of research, getting a bunch of phone calls doesn't equal harassment...especially if they guy doesn't tell you to stop calling and continues to dodge you.

alternatively, it probably isn't too difficult to get ahold of the phone number at his place of employment...seems like most people already figured out where he works. i'd make a call there and try to get someone semi-senior on the phone and say that you've been trying to get ahold of him to find out the status on something that he owes you (you can choose to get into specifics or not). you don't need to make many calls, one or two would probably get it done. most people would probably shudder at having their boss or a senior co-worker mention that a message like that came in for them and most places of business would probably tell the employee to "just take care of it."

you can choose to do what you like, but i'd say it is DEFINITELY worth at least a few civil phone calls to the folks or co-workers. looking for an answer is not harassment and you'd have a pretty solid defense if you were reached out to by the cops. i mean, if you loaned someone money and they didn't pay you back and you made a handful of phone calls inquiring about it that went without reply, i would be hard pressed to say that counts as harassment, especially if you have an email trail of the person saying that they were going to send it out next week over and over and then just stopped communicating. but enough on that topic, if you are scared of getting harassment charges brought on you, then just drop it and be burned.

Photekut, vonnegut21 and gpawned like this.
  39. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Dude, this gets so much worse. I sent this douchebag 3. Count them, 3 boxes of beer. I've done 1 IP trade, 1 mail trade. This is only my third trade and already I'm getting screwed.

His beer should have arrived here early this week. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and then I decided to search for his name and found this thread.

And get what this winner did during our back and forth he said he had a death in the family and he would send out his box on Friday, which was the last Friday in September.

In the first box the growler of Cascade Winter Gose broke, which I do believe because of what I saw in the tracking information. I felt bad so I sent him a Cascade Strawberry and another extra.

I'm too mad to keep typing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.