1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

*Bad Trader Alert lanamj*

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by alpineclimber, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alpineclimber

alpineclimber Member

Enough is enough with lanamj;

I set up a trade with this guy April 25th. I sent out my end on April 28th. lanamj said he would ship in a week or so when he was able to get all the beer together, no problem.

So May 22nd rolls around and I am wonder what the hold up is and plus I was heading to Montreal a few weeks later and he said no problem will have the box out and landed before June 12th. This never happended so a few stern BM's and profile messages later and on July 6th I get this sob story from lanamj about how he moved, was on vacation and wife forgot to ship the box out....

lanamj said he would get the box out by the end of the month, okay no problem, shit happens. So on the 23rd I message him and ask him his plan, by Friday says lanamj.... This past Friday rolls around and nothing so I BM him and nothing, I see that he has seen the message. I put a message on his profile page, he signed in and obviously saw that and no response. So here I am.

I know he is trying to setup trades around the BA Sexual Chocolate Release;
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...-releases-iso-a-few-things.28483/#post-352860

I just don't want anyone else to get burned....
  2. podunkparte

podunkparte Member

Wow, 3 months isn't cool. Just curious, how much beer did he have to get together after your trade was set up. Is it possible he wasn't able to actually get that beer he said he would send your way? Were they limited releases?
  3. alpineclimber

alpineclimber Member

The box I sent:

St. Lamvinus
    Cuvee St. Gilloise
    L.P Gueuze 07
    Fou' Foune

Black Albert 2007 (extra)
    Pannepot Grand Reserva 2005 (extra)

lanamj's end:

Darkness
    Sexual Chocolate
    FBS 4 pack
    Seven Devils
    Old Hickory
    Daniel Boon
  4. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Member

that seven devils is one hell of a beer.
    Retail1LO likes this.
  5. alpineclimber

alpineclimber Member

Yeah was looking forward to that one...
  6. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Member

Wow..... (this is just an opinion) but he basically got away with robbery even if he DID send his end. You sent a hell of a box!
  7. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Member

Wait…how's this even vaguely fair? (Your box is fucking awesome.)
    wsnich, ncaudle, Etan and 4 others like this.
  8. Levitation

Levitation Member

sorry to hear that op. the subprime mortgage crisis of 2011/2012 join dates continues....
  9. 'loon juice flows like water for our brothers to the North.
    Etan, BdubleEdubleRUN and MarkIntihar like this.
  10. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Member

Remind me again when mikesgroove joined?
  11. alpineclimber

alpineclimber Member

Yes it was a great box. I have landed alot of amazing beers with Cantillon. If I like what I am getting and it's a $4$ trade then I am happy. Getting ripped off like this truly pisses me off, references from now on or the other guy ships first...
  12. Msquared2

Msquared2 Member

How much did he tell you those beers cost? I don't see $4$ here at all.
  13. alpineclimber

alpineclimber Member

lanamj said that was about 100 on his end. The four Cantillon are 100 on my end. What does that add up too anyways, I know prices can be a lot lower in the U.S but to tell you the truth I am never really sure.
  14. Msquared2

Msquared2 Member

Sexual Chocolate=15
    Daniel Boone=7.99
    Seven Devils ~10
    FBS~ 15
    Darkness I am not sure about but I would suspect in the $20 range? Hopefully someone can give you a more accurate price.
  15. jsilva

jsilva Member

Thats prob closer to $75 on his end. I have traded with lanamj before and he was extremely slow to ship like a month or so but i made him send first so i didnt get burned. Sorry to hear about this op and good luck hopefully Jared sends his end out seeing he is certainly making out in this deal.
  16. yamar68

yamar68 Member

In death, a member of BA has a name. His name is Jared.
  17. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Member

Let's get down to brass tacks here....... do you have a "pick-up" address stateside, and if so, when can we work out a trade !!!!
    JohnB87, BdubleEdubleRUN and Skye1024 like this.
  18. AutumnBeerLove

AutumnBeerLove Member

Report to bad trader list yet?
  19. Shoo65

Shoo65 Member

Fantastic Box, sorry to hear about it. I saw the extras and thought DAMN. Would love to have those as extras to give in my trades.
  20. alpineclimber

alpineclimber Member

No stateside address though I usually head to the states about twice a year on rockclimbing excursions and what not. I do most of my trades to and from my address in Calgary. I did one trade where I brought the box down to Idaho, shipped it from there. Upon dropping the box off, the Fedex employee got suspicious, opened it up and made me pick it back up on my way back home.... I just ended up shipping the box from my house anyways. I might get one of these "pick-up" addresses in Montana and then it will be a good excuse to climb more in Montana.
  21. alpineclimber

alpineclimber Member

Done!
  22. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Member

I wish I could afford the shipping..... You shouldn't be trading for Sexy Choc, and FBS, you should be trading for BA Sexy Choc, and KBS!
    YaKnowBrady, JohnB87, vkv822 and 3 others like this.
  23. alpineclimber

alpineclimber Member

Yeah, I know. Have landed quite a bit of KBS, a favourite of mine. I still like FBS quite a bit, wish I could get it here...
  24. alpineclimber

alpineclimber Member

I must say that I have had some amazing trades up until this one... I have gotten some really generous boxes from some awesome BA's over the few years I have been trading.
  25. RochesterAaron

RochesterAaron Member

I had this guy on my personal do not trade list as soon as I saw he was pretrading his entire BA sexy allotment before a release date or allotments were announced. Shady business there.
  26. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Member

(Please note that I'm *not* the original poster in this thread!)

I've sent 36 bottles of Cantillon (almost all Fou'Foune and Lou Pepe Gueuze) from Canada into the U.S.A. in the last 2 months over 12 different trades, all $4$ or in some cases even getting less on my end. To see a fellow canuck treated like this is very disturbing, it's sure going to make me think twice about sending a box out to anyone I haven't already traded with. :oops:

Edit: Well, at least someone who doesn't have an absolutely steller history on here or RB.
    TheSevenDuffs and domtronzero like this.
  27. asustevo

asustevo Member

I thought the same thing. There is no guarantee he will even get that many BA Sexy's or Olde Rabbits foot. Pre-trades for a beer you will have to wait inline for over night seem to be risky business. I plan on going to both when they are announced and you better believe I'm drinking most of the stuff I get!
  28. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

ISO : Canadian with loon access and an American shipping address FT : my undying respect, gratitude and dedication.

Sucks to hear about someone dicking someone. Especially when loons are involved, that is some jacked up disrespect right there.
    YaKnowBrady and ASUBeer like this.
  29. stupac2

stupac2 Member

Is there a list of these Canadians who trade away the 'loons? Because damn it, I want in.

On topic, that sucks OP, and FWIW he was getting a very good deal even if he had shipped. Hope he makes it right.
  30. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Member

There's probably like 3-4 people from Canada on BA/RB who do this, so half of us are already posting in this thread! :p Reason being- shipping is brutal from here, $35-$40 to ship 3 bottles, depending on state. You have to *really* want U.S. craft to put up with the shipping charges. So yeah, the O.P. here is out more than just $100 in beer...

(Before anyone BM's me, sorry- I'm done for the year, but will be happy to help out fellow BA/RB'ians next spring. The shipping budget is all taped out for this year...)
  31. stupac2

stupac2 Member

Well, if you're ever in the SF Bay Area and looking for an IP trade, hit me up! A man can never have too many 'loons.
  32. Levitation

Levitation Member

mikesgroove wasn't the first long-running trader to go bad, and he won't be the last. and i'm sure you're aware i'm not saying ALL 2011/2012 join dates are bad. but there is clearly a higher incidence of irresponsible traders with the growth of the community in the past couple of years.
  33. stupac2

stupac2 Member

In absolute or percentage values?
    GrindFatherBob and mcc1654 like this.
  34. JRod1969

JRod1969 Member

I hate what happened with the Mikesgroove thing. He was my first trade, now at almost 90, and he didn't screw me. In fact he sent me a BCBVS, BCBCS, and KBS plus extras. Sucks what he did.
  35. Levitation

Levitation Member

percentage has stayed constant, at a minimum.
  36. ipa247

ipa247 Member

I have been off the BA grid for a number of months but am back full force the last week or so. Mike sent me a box in one of the first white whale BIFs. Always seemed like a decent guy and he never screwed me over even though his responsiveness to emails was spotty at best. What happened? Did he end up screwing over a bunch of folks on trades?
  37. stupac2

stupac2 Member

I wasn't sure if you were trying to make a stronger point than "a lot of new people joined in the past couple years". Also I suppose since people tend not to flip from good to bad trader after a few years (the few exceptions, like mikesgroove, tend to be very noteworthy), newer dates will always be more suspect than older.
  38. Levitation

Levitation Member

well, that's a separate discussion, and i didn't really want to get into it in previous posts. but the gist is that with a larger group of people, particularly a newly-refreshed community (site change), you have a lot less community sentiment, and now this place behaves more like a marketplace. notice how almost no members prior to 2009 post actively anymore; the demographics have reset strongly, and there seems to be a culture shift in the beer world. i actually think the percentage of people who don't give a shit has strongly increased. but i have no proof.
  39. stupac2

stupac2 Member

To be fair, proving it would be extremely difficult.
  40. lucas1801

lucas1801 Member

These threads and attitude towards new members kind of ignore me, as a member who lost his login with lack of access to an old email(joined 2008ish). But at the same time understand them, as a person who rarely trades and has no problem shipping first to established traders. Can't imagine screwing someone on a box of beer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.