1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

*Bad Trader Alert lanamj*

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by alpineclimber, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

Iso: a candian willing to trade with a socal resident who started in 2012.
    Ft: $4$ trades that compensate for the shipping difference, and a willingness(desire, frankly, for the sake of building my rep) to ship first.

2. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

This is a bad trader thread lets not clutter and crap it up with iso canadian loaded with cantillon posts and stick to the fact that OP as generous as he was is getting burned.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I hate being lumped in with the new bad element that is bringing this site down. I fulfill my trades in a very timely fashion, I don't trade to maximize returns and I pack boxes like I have a brain. It really isn't hard to be a good beer trader. Sucks that a few bad apples give us n00bs a bad name.

And on topic, it sucks you got burned OP, you sent him a great box.

Jwren5, ehammond1, Beerness and 11 others like this.
  4. OP, even thought MN is damn near Canada, if you want something from the Midwest, hit me up. I do shipping for a living and have no issue shipping to Canada. Usually pretty cheap on my end.

5. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (665) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Obviously this doesn't apply to all Canadians, just one. On one of my first trades I got burned on a box from Canada and I'm willing to bet the punk just created another BA account and started trading again. His real name is on the bad trader list. I'd recommend looking at it before shipping to Canada. I know he could use a different name for shipping but he's probably not that smart.

6. gn0sis

gn0sis Savant (290) Massachusetts Dec 17, 2007

Had a similar situation with lanamj a few months back, extremely slow on his end and had to stay on top of him, threaten a bad trader thread (which is usually not my style, I don't often get into arrangements with folks like this) , etc.. but eventually he did come through. He bartends at a place in NC, Duckworth's Grill and Taphouse, (Mods please delete if TMI) which was often his rationale for being so tardy.. working late, didn't get home in time, had to work all weekend and so on.. Somewhat confused to see he was attempting to re-trade the bottle I hooked him up with shortly after the fact, but c'est la vie.

All this being said, I have a feeling he will come through once the public shaming takes hold. For someone in "the industry" to pull a move like this could be a seriously regretful career move.

7. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (390) New York Nov 21, 2008

Damn, he didnt even spit on it...

8. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

I've traded with lanamj, and I echo the comments above. He was slow, but he did ship his end.

9. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Damn,I know I'm a little late to the picnic here but I feel bad for the OP.

You sent one hell of a box.I hope you get taken care of my fellow BA.

Cheers

10. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

Damn shame to hear about this. lanamj was one of the first people I traded with on here and I didn't have any problems with our trade at all. I guess in light of this info I will make a change to my trading history list.

11. A few people have expressed interest in showing alpineclimber some love by sending him some beer, but have been reluctant due to high shipping costs. If you're cool with shipping to Maryland instead, I'll volunteer to put a box together for him and will take care of the 4pk of FBS and shipping costs. Send me a message for my shipping info if you want to help out.

12. OP, sorry to hear about you getting dicked over. That was a hell of a box you sent. It's even more dispicable considering the amount you paid to ship that to the states.

Can we ammend this statement to "the subprime mortgage crisis of 2011/2012 join dates, other than joins on 2/27/12, continues? Hanzo and I kick ass.

adamdd likes this.
  13. GabrielM

GabrielM Savant (295) New Mexico Jun 22, 2010

Sorry to hear about the shady business, OP.

As for mikesgroove, can someone explain? I traded with him once and had no problems...

14. he was in a bif and dropped out when it was his turn to ship. More info on the Bad traders list.

15. Tons of people traded with him and had (relatively) little problem. It all just kind of went downhill at the end...

16. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

There was a huge thread where a bunch of people chimed in with less than stellar experiences with Mike, but of course, like everything else, it got deleted.

Photekut and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  17. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

Thanks for the clarification.

18. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

BM me if you want more of the story.

19. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

Didn't mean to derail everything, was just making a point… To those curious about mikesgroove, reference the bad trader list.

And now back to lanamj, the bad trader at hand…

JohnnyTightLips likes this.
  20. I know him personally, will try to get in touch with tomorrow for you.

thagr81us, Rempo, franklinn and 7 others like this.
  21. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

I might be able to offer the same. I am tentatively planning a road trip to see family in calgary this fall and could possibly drop stuff off for alpine then.

Cheers
    Colin

22. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I traded with lanamj a year or so ago and everything went smooth. Sorry to hear he may be headed down the wrong path.:(

23. Yea, the whole Mikesgroove thing makes me wanna throw up. He got me for an $80 box, and about 10 hours of my life in emailing him and his friends trying to figure out what the hell was going on with the guy.

Just for fun i've been emailing Mikesgroove to see if he'll answer (just to make a point).... That guy has owed me quality beer (Darkness, CCB-Nielbohrium & others) since January. I know it'll never come, but I can always dream....

24. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

It appears fate may have struck him a blow....unless he was planning on DRINKING all those BA Dark Lords he gobbled up, because if not he is sitting on a TON of inventory he cannot re-sell ATM.

yamar68 and cavedave like this.
  25. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

any news on lanamj?

26. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Looks like he was logged on last night around 9pm pacific time. I guessing he certainly saw the posts that alpine left on his profile page regarding being submitted to the bad trader list.

27. It is not my position to say much more than he is aware of the thread and the situation. I will leave it to either him or Alpine to say how things are being handled.

chefkevlar likes this.
  28. It takes a special kind of ass hole to steal a box of loons like that. The trade was. As enough but to stiff your end of that trade for a box of loons is dispicable.

tbadiuk and cfh64 like this.
  29. There is always at least 2++++++ sides to every story. So when is MikesGroove I mean lanamj gonna tell his side???

30. Err, besides Alpineclimber sending his box out and receiving nothing in return? Is there some other side that could possibly exist that is missing that you can think of?

31. Come on man! Pick up the sarcasm! I even put +++++ excuses and confused him for mikesgroove! I was just wondering if it would be the typical BS excuse or if he would get a little creative!

32. Sorry, 6am haven't gone to bed in about 30 hours, sarcasm detector broken...:p

33. This is such a bummer. Any update yet? Hopefully this guy decided to smarten up and makes good.

I know exactly what alpine climber is going through with this. I've had 2 very difficult cross-border trades. One of them took 6 months for the box to finally show up. I remember the rage that would erupt when every month or so my wife would ask "So did that guy end up sending you anything yet?" :mad: lol ...Oh ya, the guy's name was Mikesgroove! (To his credit, he did send a nice box in the end. Not what he agreed to send, but a nice box nonetheless)

Anyways, alpineclimber is a great BA and as you can see from this thread, a generous trader. If you're lucky enough to get the chance to trade with him, the extra $20-30 for cross-border shipping will be well worth it!

34. No word yet from lanamj yet.....

35. Yeah it's not looking good.

36. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (390) New York Nov 21, 2008

what a POS

alpineclimber likes this.
  37. I received a box of beer to go along with some others I'm sending to alpineclimber to make up for this disaster. I plan on shipping a week from today; Monday 8/20. If you'd like to contribute anything, feel free to contact me for my address.

Nightfall, Shoo65, yamar68 and 3 others like this.
  38. Talk about generosity, that's great!

39. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

We've seen this move before, mikesgroove! Fool me once...

KIDDING! :p

40. brees6221 is stupid generous. Good on everyone involved.

ehammond1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.