1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad Trader Alert - mikeyv35

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by suspect, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suspect

suspect Savant (400) New York Apr 12, 2010

Hey all -
    I was a bit reluctant to put this up here (because I'm not sure enough time has elapsed) but I figured it was time since communication has completely fallen off. Late in October I made a post in a thread talking about the best Pumpking beers (I expressed my love for Horseheads Pumpkin). mikeyv35 sent me a PM asking if I still had access and how he was doing a pumpkin beer tasting and would love to get a few bottles. I haven't been burned up until now and he's been a member since '08 and mentions that he has over 160 trades to date.

We worked out a pretty small trade in relative terms. I was shipping 3 bottles of Horseheads Pumpkin in return for 1 bottle of Girardin Geuze Black Label 1882.

He asked if I could ship as quickly as possible (red flag) in order to for the beer to make it in time for the tasting. I told him I was willing to but he didn't give me his address so I shipped Monday October 8. After a FedEx snafu, it arrived on October 13. Since then it's been nothing but excuses as to why he hasn't shipped (wife's birthday, way behind on 3 trades, etc.). On 10/18 he said that all three trades were packed and labeled and sitting by the front door (he also said that he would never dream of sticking anyone for beer). I haven't heard from him since. I've sent him 5 direct messages and confirmed that he's logged in after each one. His last login was yesterday at 10:14pm. I sent direct messages that were not responded to on the 19th, 22nd, 24th, 26th, and the 27th. Again, I confirmed he logged in after all of those messages.

So that's my story, not a huge trade which is even more baffling to me.
  2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Uh oh, you are not alone. I won't speak for him but a trading partner of mine is having this same issue so I am sure this may prompt him to post about it and provide details. Short story is this partner asked me if I knew him or anyone that did because he too sent as requested and is getting blown off on communication.

Hope there is a valid reason but certainly smells like a DICK MOVE if only on the lack of communication. Fucking sucks people can't at least give the courtesy of staying in touch.

Good luck OP.
    gpawned, adamdd, robinsmv and 2 others like this.
  3. MordorMongo

Also OP may want to edit his name (real name) out of post so this doesn't get deleted
  4. suspect

I removed his real name...wasn't sure if that was kosher either but I know that people can have multiple accounts. I have his phone number. Haven't called it yet.
    MordorMongo likes this.
  5. you'd think a guy who went to the trouble of developing a formula to calculate beer rarity would have the fundamentals of trading down. namely, actually shipping the stuff.

and yeah, call him.
  6. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (705) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

I just sent him a message on FB...let's see what he says.
    claaark13 and AleWatcher like this.
  7. MordorMongo

Ask him about guy in NC also while you are at it.
    gkatsoris likes this.
  8. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Sickening...really. F'in thieves.
  9. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (705) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

Wrong Mike V...hah.
    aasher likes this.
  10. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

I'll play defense attorney--
    Sometimes people really do get busy. Shit happens. I'm sure he had every intention of shipping your bottle out in a timely manner, and I'm sure you'll get it in the end.
    The ignoring of messages is certainly not the best way for him to handle things, and there's no excuse for bad communication.

If there was a serious issue that prevented shipping, he should have just but the bullet and told you, "listen man, ______ is going on right now and I really can't get your box out at the moment. I'll totally get you the bottle as soon as I can but it may take a couple weeks."
    It is highly possible he checks his BA on his phone between meetings (or classes, or whatever) and doesn't have time to reply at that precise moment-- though he intends to after he gets home. Or maybe BA is set as his homepage and everytime his wife opens their web browser it breifly loads BA and shows "activity."

As it is, I think that this thread is a bit premature. You set up the trade in October? It is still October.
    Your box arrived less than 2 weeks ago.

The fact he asked you to ship ASAP is not a red flag-- he really does have a shitload of references and he gave a valid reason as to why he wanted it by a certain date.

If you haven't even tried to call his phone yet, then I think you've jumped the gun.
    Call his phone-- leave a voicemail if he doesn't answer just saying "hey it's ____ from BA. Just wondering what's going on wig our trade."

I'm sure there will be 3 or 4 people calling Mikey a shitbag and calling me a douche for defending him... But I'll make the trade right if he disappears. I have access to 1883 black label and if Mikey doesn't come around, I will send one to the OP. (for clarity sake-- I've never traded with, met, or even talked with Mikey).

Cheers
  11. Pittsky

Pittsky Aficionado (195) Florida May 28, 2009

off with his head.
    funhog, jrnyc and Retail1LO like this.
  12. MordorMongo

FWIW the person I know hasn't posted anything prior to this precisely because he is on same approximate timeline as OP, has been like 2 weeks I think. So not long enough to be a factual deep dicking but long enough to be rightfully concerned (especially given lack of communication and perceived ignoring of convos since)
  13. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

This is what I was thinking.
    aasher likes this.
  14. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

So it's been a week since you heard from him last and you felt a bad trader thread was necessary? I would hold up on that a little. I agree that communication is a very important part of a trading relationship, but so is a little trust. I know a guy waiting on getting a Bottleworks X from a fantasy football BIF from last year still, and he amazingly hasn't thrown the dude under the bus for some reason? Have a little patience, people get busy, Im sure it'll all get ironed out.
    Rutager likes this.
  15. black13

black13 Savant (390) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

I will go out on a limb and say I greatly appreciate this warning. I'm sick of people saying/using the excuse that stuff comes up. If your life is so busy that you cannot send a message that takes 10 seconds, you have no reason to be on BA trading. In the past month I've had 3 trades that were all delayed by a couple days, and in every case they communicated that they were going to be shipping a little late. It's been said time and again, communication is the key.

Why do I appreciate this thread? I've been discussing a potential trade with Mikeyv35 for the past few days. If he's had enough time to communicate with me over several days, he's had enough time to respond to the OP's multiple BM's.

Some will say 2 weeks is too soon to call someone out, but this is exactly why two weeks isn't too soon. If you make a trade and don't send a box or respond to BM's, you should expect to get called out. It's up to the person getting screwed in the trade to determine when to post.
  16. jamvt

jamvt Savant (470) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

Considering mikeyv35 initiated the trade and asked the OP to expedite shipping, I would expect the same shipment turnaround on his end. I understand things come up, but it there is a chance things will come up, then maybe you shouldn't be soliciting a trade! I'm jamvt and I endorse this bad trader post!
    BobZ and tacosandbeer like this.
  17. I am having almost the exact same situation as the OP with this same trader. We agreed to a trade on Oct. 10th, and agreed to a shipping date. I shipped mine, he confirmed receipt and was very nice. Said there was a delay but my box was ready to go out. Said it would go out on XX date, and it did not, and he was apologetic.

Since then I followed up with 2 or 3 very polite BMs checking on the status, and telling him it was OK, but that I would like some type of response just out of courtesy. He logged in daily, yet never opened any of my BMs.

I did notice that he read my BMs yesterday, so he at least knows were I stand. Unfortunately the hurricane is barrelling down on him right now, which will obviously cause further delay, but more importantly I hope he and his family make it through this OK as that is more important than beer right now.

All of that said, I've had posting this exact same bad trader thread in the back of my mind for about a week. I certainly understand delays, and am very reasonable when it comes to that. However, my biggest problem was him not following through on 2 shipping dates, and not having the courtesy to read my BMs and respond to me.

I hope this gets resolved for both of us. I can't imagine this guy has been on BeerAdvocate for 4 years in order to scam me out of a Lindley Park and some nice NC locals.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  18. I have a hard time defending someone who can be identified as having logged in repeatedly, having read someone's messages, and having actively been messaging others to negotiate trades.

I also believe that most people on this forum are of such an understanding and forgiving nature, that really, all they ask is for regular, and thorough communication. Seeing how that costs nothing and takes next to zero time to provide...there's generally little to no excuse for it not to occur. Some seem to excuse this or otherwise tolerate it...but I'm not one of them. Life happens to everyone from the moment they're born. The only difference between people is how they handle it. There are acceptable approaches and unacceptable ones. This falls under the latter.

Hopefully he makes good, and everyone involved with this individual gets made whole. Good luck to all involved.
  19. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Ex-f-ing-xactly.

Thanks for posting this, OP. Whenever someone posts that "Gee, someone screwed me six months ago & this person is a bad trader" I always wonder how many other people that trader ripped off in the meantime.

I know I've seen mikey's name all over the boards for years, & he's probably a stand-up guy. But if a person can't be bothered to answer messages for two weeks after receiving beer in a trade, they 100% deserve to be called out. Period.
    jrnyc, cosmo4u, xxcarpxx and 3 others like this.
  20. MordorMongo

I don't get defending it either. We clearly have two different people getting same treatment and a culprit pursuing other trades while fully knowing he still has unfulfilled obligations. Should he be crucified? Probably not, but I also don't know where you draw the line. We have responsibilities to ALL traders to make them aware when someone flakes solely to make sure more people don't get bent over. I hope he is ok and I hope he makes it through storm but I also hope he takes care of his fucking OBLIGATIONS. Honestly thought it was just "life happens" until I see he is pursuing other trades.
    gpawned and LambicKing like this.
  21. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I agree that two weeks is an appropriate time to wait before calling someone out (hopefully it at least gets the ball rolling faster), but in this case, I know mikeyv35 is a reliable trader. He's just extremely slow to respond and ship. I wish he were a little faster myself, but I'm confident you'll get your beer.
  22. That's just it. The entire thread was created by the OP because he's not confident he'll get his beer. This lack of confidence could have easily been alleviated with ANY kind of communication. In an environment where people can see when you've logged on, etc., it's just piss poor form to peruse the site on a routine basis, and field new offers, when you haven't gotten your current affairs in order, and can't even convey your situation to your existing traders.
  23. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

"Stuff comes up" is 99% of the time a crock of shit. Unless you are dead, in a coma in the hospital - you can send a 5 second note to someone over a 2 week time span. Yeah - "stuff came up" - like more trades apparently:

"mikeyv35 was last seen: Viewing thread ISO a few; FT a few, 26 minutes ago"
    LambicKing, BobZ and domtronzero like this.
  24. Unclerudy

Unclerudy Zealot (95) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

Great traders make some mistakes some times, and this time his is not communicating. If you have dealt with him in the past, and feel comfortable with how he operates, no big deal. But the rule most people follow is have a successful trade before you start to trust someone. And anything that looks sketchy should be called out quicker rather than later. The only thing that people want are reassurances. ANd that doesn't take very long to do.
    LambicKing, Rempo and xxcarpxx like this.
  25. It should be noted that I didn't give mikeyv35 any type of ultimatum on a bad trader call out. I'm just sharing my story since I'm going through the same senario.

And while the complete lack of communication on his part sucks and he did miss agreed to shopping windows; Mike and his family are facing a horrible storm right now and a lot of uncertainty so lets keep the bigger picture in perspective.

I'd love a quick resolution but I hope that is paired with safety and good fortune for he and his family these next few days.
  26. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Agreed - but the storm can't be too bad yet if there is plenty of time to read ISO:FT threads while still not having "time" to send a note "sorry bro - storms a comin' - I'll get back at ya later".
    jrnyc, cosmo4u, FUNKPhD and 2 others like this.
  27. suspect

My whole issue was the lack of communication. I'm a patient man...hell, I wasn't seeking out a trade as it was, this one just showed up in my inbox. He was looking for a favor, I helped him out and then he drops off the communication trail but continues to browse BA?

Anyway, I just got off the phone with him and he said that all 3 boxes he's been late on went out late Friday. That should put it here tomorrow at the latest. He didn't have tracking numbers because he's been busy with work. I'll post an update as it comes in.
    ASUBeer likes this.
  28. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (760) California Nov 29, 2006

o_O
  29. shuajw

shuajw Savant (485) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

You saw that red flag too?
  30. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

possibly, but many people were already evacuated and are losing power, depending on where he lives. i have friends that were evacuated as early as Friday and their towns are under like 6 feet of water right now. not making excuses for the guy, but i wouldnt expect much communication with this craziness happening.
  31. suspect

He answered the phone...sounded believable. Giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.
  32. Just the tip, just to see how it feels?

I had an emergency appendectomy a couple months ago and still managed to communicate the delay to a few guys I was trading with. Just sayin...
  33. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

If I remember correctly, this isn't the first time someone has publically taken issue with the way Mikeyv35 has dealt with a trade. Maybe someone with more motivation can dig up that old thread.

Thanks OP,
    Jeff
  34. unclejazz

unclejazz Advocate (510) New York Oct 24, 2011

I has an IP trade with him earlier in the year and all went well. We met and shared a few beers, he bought me a round and said we should keep in touch. Give it a week and give the guy a break. @#it happens.
  35. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

How big of an asshole would you be if your box actually arrived by tomorrow?!
    minnesotaryan likes this.
  36. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

I would say 0%. Lack of communication is never acceptale.
  37. suspect

I don't think I'd feel like an asshole at all. If he's browsing BA on a regular basis, he can take 10 seconds to tell me it was actually shipped and he's been swamped at work, etc. It doesn't take long. I gave him 5 messages and my last message warned him that I was going to call him out for his lack of communication. Why should I feel like an asshole?
    gpawned, SirWilliam, huadog and 7 others like this.
  38. suspect

BTW, my original post has the timing weird - the initial message came in on October first...it should read "Late in September." Sorry if that caused confusion.

39. You should submit him to the bad traders list. Link is in my profile.
  40. Verecund

Verecund Savant (305) Texas Aug 31, 2008

Uh. None whatsoever?

If OP is telling the truth, mikeyv35 lied to him when he said that all three trades were packed up, labeled, and sitting by the front door on October 18th (8 days before they were even shipped out). And then he continued to log in over an 11-day period, failing to update several traders on the status of their boxes despite several messages from each of them, all the while attempting to set up more trades. He may not be a bad traderâ„¢, but he certainly isn't a good one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.