Dismiss Notice
Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Learn more about beer. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for as low as 68% off the single issue price.

Subscribe now →

Bad Trader Alert - mikeyv35

Discussion in 'Bad Traders' started by suspect, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Again-- isn't that part of having built up a reputation? Or am I only as good as my last trade?
    When I tell some one "I will ship your beer." They can rest assured that I WILL ship their beer. There's no implicit deadline there, and I'll update them when I'm shipping it out.

There are many reasons why I might delay;
    I'm holding off to finalize details of another trade or two so I can drop off all the boxes at once...
    I'm waiting til I head to FFF again to grab fresh Zombie Dust to toss in as extras...
    Work has been beating the shit out of me, the few minutes I get per day to reply are quickly eaten up by paying my bills over the phone, etc.
    I don't have any good boxes to use and I'm waiting on a box to come in from a trade I'm owed...

I won't ever fuck anyone on a box of beer. Just be cool.
  2. HopDropandRoll

HopDropandRoll Aficionado (165) New York Apr 14, 2010 Verified

Well, if the guy who essentially wrote the rules on how to trade beer starts fucking people in trades then I think all hope is lost.
    gpawned, robinsmv, funhog and 2 others like this.
  3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Here is my concern. Guys gets box, assures me box is ready and will sent. Time goes by, no communication for 10 days and all my messages are going "unread" despite him apparently surfing the site. My immediate thought is I better say something in case other people are getting fucked too.

Now should it be a Bad trader thread? Should it be a hey anyone hear from x thread? Arguing that is fine but I don't think the OP really jumped the gun too bad here (though clearly in hindsight a phone call maybe worked). I don't think we will all ever agree how to handle these things but I am firmly in the better safe than sorry camp.
    black13, cfh64, robinsmv and 2 others like this.
  4. I'm not against you here, we're just chatting.
  5. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I agree with you but that doesn't really apply here as the guy had already said once it was boxed and being shipped. So at that point this tale diverges from yours. Saying hey I will ship soon is entirely different than everything is boxed up, shipping Friday.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  6. Cuzco

Cuzco Savant (400) New York Mar 22, 2008 Verified

Can someone please start a thread about this noob "alewatchtower" or whatever his name is?? Clearly he has no idea how the trading forum works....
    nate8767, cavedave, jrnyc and 5 others like this.
  7. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Since we're playing this game, how soon is too soon? A week? Five days? Two days? Twelve hours? Three hours? Forty minutes? 10 minutes? Fifty seconds? Five seconds? Three tenths of a second? Five hundredths of a second? Ten milliseconds? ;)

I don't think there's necessarily a length of time that you can rubber stamp and say "if I don't hear back in X amount of time, I'm starting a Bad Trader thread!". It depends on impressions you get about the trader, if you feel like he/she is actively avoiding you, etc. While I personally would probably give a little more than a couple weeks time to hear back from someone, I don't really take much issue with OP deciding enough was enough if he truly feels that the other trader is avoiding him. However, trying to contact him via avenues other than BA before posting the thread probably would have been a good idea.
  8. AleWatcher

Haha. I just compiled and organized a lot of info that was already available... I did add a few of my own ideas though, but many people don't seem to find those useful.
    Fair enough.
    I totally understand the desire to warn the community... But at the same time, if there is no deadline to ship and it's left off with a friendly "just let me know when you drop it off!" then things are much different.

At least we can agree that the op should have tried calling before resorting to this...

If you've ever worked in any sort of customer service then you have dealt with a customer complaint-- they ALWAYS exaggerate (sometimes flat-out lie) to make their complaint seem more valid. (I'm not accusing the OP of this, just pointing out that human nature leads to painting ourselves in a more positive light than we paint others).
  9. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

While it is absolutely never cool to dick someone out of a trade, these threads have become ridiculously entertaining of late.
    harrymel, Rutager, huadog and 9 others like this.
  10. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I guess since people can't speculate beer trading values in trade threads they have resorted to speculating how good/shitty traders are. Sucks for the OP since he is clearly getting dicked around, but there are people trying to save someone's reputation.

Just because you built a reputation doesn't mean you don't have to maintain it. History will only take you so far, and I'm pretty sure this is the second thread in recent memory about this mikey guy.
    JavaNoire and ASUBeer like this.
  11. CooperEllis

CooperEllis Savant (330) New York Feb 25, 2010

That AleSnatcher isn't already a spoof account following this thread means we, as an internet community, have failed.
  12. lurchingbeast

I think we already designated Failwatcher as the official troll account.
  13. MarkIntihar

Personally, I prefer wAleWatcher.
  14. dad?
  15. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (360) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

If we did officially say, "Two weeks without a response or an update is grounds for a Potential Bad Trader thread," don't you think that would help? Right now, we're just at, "I'll respond whenever I can/have the time/feel like it."
    GrumpyOldTroll likes this.
  16. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (425) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006 Verified

Wow, am I glad I didn't end up trading with this guy. Had a potential trade set up but I couldn't get the beer he was looking for. Thank God. I was gonna send him a box anyways, but I decided not to. I made the right choice. Thanks for calling this dude out.
  17. MarkIntihar

If I agree, will Andre not smash me? Because then I agree... :eek:

On a more serious note, I'm not sure if that would really help, for a couple of reasons:
    1. Most people who end up having "Bad Trader Alerts" posted about them are not very active in the forums, so who knows if they will even see the blanket warning. I'm noticing more and more that the people who end up arguing over what constitutes a bad trader (on both sides) are never listed in the "BTA" threads...
    2. Again, there is some responsibility on the side of the person who is waiting to hear back to use more than just BA as a means of communicating. There's a reason that you exchange phone numbers and email addresses beyond just filling out a FedEx form. A "BTA" post without trying at least a couple methods of communication seems a bit "jump the gun"-ish to me.
    MordorMongo and HopDropandRoll like this.
  18. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (360) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Come on bro, you and Andre would be a great match. I'd dish out the pay-per-view fee for that one. :)

I have never and will never offer my phone number or email address for a trade. I deal with beer on BA, not through Boost or Yahoo. If my reputation here isn't good enough for someone, I just won't trade with that person.
  19. johndoe8

johndoe8 Savant (285) California Jun 9, 2010

i think the thread is fine. mikeyv35 can come to defend himself, and if it all works out, he won't make it on the bad trader list. the guy has a right to be worried.
  20. MarkIntihar

I envision a chokeslam in my future...

I hear ya, but I think at this point you're in the minority on that one.
    Mojo likes this.
  21. badbeer

badbeer Advocate (505) Iowa Jun 19, 2005 Verified

Hmm. I just completed a trade with him a couple weeks ago. Everything went fine. Good communication, agreed upon beers plus extras.

Hopefully he'll come through for you.
    dvelcich likes this.
  22. cosmo4u

cosmo4u Savant (430) New York Nov 18, 2010 Verified

you pay your phone bill over the phone? thats just trippy

almost forgot...;)
    dvelcich and AleWatcher like this.
  23. AleWatcher

I pay my phone bill by credit card over the phone...
    Then I pay my credit card bill over the phone via instant transfer.

What an age to be alive!
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  24. Lesson learned is that communication is the cornerstone of successfully mailing alcoholic beverages in boxes across the country to strangers.
  25. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (1,085) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member Verified

I thought it was MaleWatcher?
  26. suspect

suspect Savant (435) New York Apr 12, 2010 Verified

I apologize if I jumped the gun. I'm not a pro at getting jerked around in trades because out of all of the trades I've made, they've all been awesome. I guess if anything I learned that I should have called first. That's my fault and next time, I'll call. Until then, I'll keep everyone posted as to when and if I get the package or a tracking number.
  27. marine1975

marine1975 Advocate (595) North Carolina Apr 27, 2009 Verified

I'm with the OP....I have 0 tollerace for lack of communication. I can except a deleayed shipment or something has come up and it may be awhile. But I shouldn't be chasing the guy down he should be keeping me up to date, If I may toot my own horn here...I spent a night in the burn center in Winston-Salem but still made contact with some trades that I had set up and let them know that I may be a day late. I actually ended up shipping on time packing with one hand and my wife assisting made it happen. Plain and simple how people differ on lines of cummunication various greatly. I'm big on it. I give alot but expect alot in return. Truth be know it's not that hard and takes very little time. I almost think the good communicators bring a level of respect into it.

Stepping off my box now....

FYI...These Foothills Seeing Doubles will sneek up on ya!
  28. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (1,085) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member Verified

You guys do realize that Mikey lives on Staten Island about a half mile from the Hudson River, right? He may have better things to do right now than chime in on this thread. I'm not trying to justify his previous lateness or lack of communication but piling on while his home is under siege from the elements isn't in very good taste.
  29. (that was from this morning)
    If he can peruse for trade threads, his home is fine.
    I love how the excuses come flying out for a friend or trading partner when a bad trader thread pops up.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  30. MasterSki

Fair enough, but would you really want him to ship out your trade box today? ;)

His lack of communication isn't excusable and the OP's concerns completely understandable. It's just unlikely that you'll get much of a response in the near future when large swaths of NYC are without electricity.
    gpawned, AleWatcher and claaark13 like this.
  31. MarkIntihar

I know, right?!? It's almost like knowing someone in person helps you gain a better understanding of their character! What a crock of shit!
    daryk77, Auror, dvelcich and 2 others like this.
  32. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

He just wants some communication, then the beer.
  33. No, but a message stating something like "hey, the Atlantic ocean is about to take me for a ride and the wind is going to blow me harder than the tranny down in Times Square did on New Years Eve. Mind if I hold up shipping until this bitch recedes?" would totally suit me.
    Me personally, I have no problem waiting for a box....when the communication backs up the delay.
    gpawned, daryk77, robinsmv and 2 others like this.
  34. shuajw

shuajw Savant (495) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

You did nothing wrong, it's shitty that it gets to the point that you're apologizing for getting jerked around by a crappy trader.

I frankly think we need shorter fuses on bad trader alerts. Way too many people giving free passes and "life happens" shoulder shrugs. Thankfully I've had good luck on the 75-80 trades I've made, but I'll have no problem calling somebody out if they flake out for a week without any communication (while still being active on the site)
    JavaNoire likes this.
  35. MasterSki

I know - I'm the exact same way. If I get delayed I send out an update - "Couldn't get to the store today" or "Ran out of packing materials", etc. And the OP did the right thing in starting the thread as sometimes mikeyv needs a kick in the butt to ship - if I'd been contacted for a reference I would have said something like "Took a while to ship but eventually came through and with some nice extras".

Unfortunately, due to powers beyond everyone's control, there is about 0% chance of the OP getting a response tonight and possibly for the next few days. I also looked for mikeyv's phone number to send him a text but I don't have it on file. At this point there's little value in additional people adding their 2 cents...
    AleWatcher likes this.
  36. Cuzco

Knowing Mikey he is most likely out surfing....
    robinsmv, cavedave and MasterSki like this.
  37. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

You aren't helping MasterSki's point by posting and being from NY. ;)
    MasterSki likes this.
  38. Cuzco

I almost died about an hour ago from a tree falling and crushing my shed that had been blown off its base and into the trees between my house and my neighbor's house. I have a box that I am super late on shipping and I am going to blame it all on the rain. Yes, you may insert Milli Vanilli's song here.
  39. lurchingbeast

Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its

*runs off stage*
  40. pittsburghkid66

pittsburghkid66 Savant (315) Indiana Dec 24, 2009 Verified

I used to hang out at this club in Bamberg, no not south carolina, and the guys that actually sang that song would be there all the time. Not really a good story but I like to work Bamberg in any chance I get.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.