1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Bad Trader Alert - mikeyv35

Discussion in 'Bad Traders' started by suspect, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suspect

suspect Savant (435) New York Apr 12, 2010 Verified

Both packages have shipment exceptions according to FedEx. I called and it's basically that they were dropped off after hours on Friday and the storm has delayed them from leaving Staten Island. The guy on the phone is told to tell everyone affected that they will possibly escape the Island on Thursday.
  2. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (730) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

It ALL depends on the context of the trade and who it is you're dealing with.

If you find yourself in the OP's situation--
    Send beermails. Check the right side margin of the conversation-- it tells you when the other person last read your message!
    If he hasn't read your conversation, give him a little more time.
    If he has read it but not answered, then try email or calling him.
    If he still doesn't get bak to you in some form, then I suggest sending a message to his past trading partners and asking them how their trade went (personally I think this should ALWAYS be done BEFORE a trade is set up!).
    Maybe try messaging people from his state or area and see if they know him.

These steps will get you an answer.

Of course, as stated, it certainly matters WHO you're trading with-- if it's a new guy with one trade listed, then it may be different than the case with the OP.
    GrumpyOldTroll, JohnGalt1 and suspect like this.
  3. Cuzco

Cuzco Savant (400) New York Mar 22, 2008 Verified

I think the OP did just fine here. Mikey dropped the ball on this one and he knows it. Hopefully this was a lesson/wakeup call for ALL traders. Communication is key! If Mikey had been in contact with the OP about the situation this thread wouldn't exist. If everyone waited 6 to 8 weeks or longer to "out" a bad trader how many other people will have been screwed during that extra time? I say 2 weeks without communication is completely acceptable.
    chase2634, xxcarpxx, cfh64 and 4 others like this.
  4. Krumb

Krumb Savant (325) Texas Jan 30, 2008 Verified

Does it have to be this complicated to trade with someone? Can I not expect the person I'm trading with to do exactly what he says? If something comes up, is it too much to ask I be made aware of said issue? I mean...do all these hoops have to be created and jumped through in order to substantiate a claim of a bad trade?

Golden Rule. That should be your standard for handling a trade. Like someone said in a previous post...treat the other just as you would want to be treated. Safe to say, the subject of this thread admits he screwed up, and thus justifies the OP's posting of this thread.
    tacosandbeer and Rempo like this.
  5. ehammond1

ehammond1 Champion (790) Jul 4, 2008

6. Fact.
    Feel free to report to bad trader list.
  7. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

8. I will add this info in my upcoming bad trader post about him
  9. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

gpawned, Levitation, libbey and 12 others like this.
  10. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Advocate (575) Colorado Sep 24, 2010 Verified

I disagree with most of this. You shouldn't have to babysit a trade. Communicate with the BA who you're trading with? Most definitely. But having to keep tabs, making phone calls, contacting previous trading partners, messaging people from BA's state...nah, no way. Not required, nor should it be the expectation.

If you find yourself in the OP's situation, attempt to communicate with the BA you're trading with. If that fails, start a thread. That's all it took.
    black13 likes this.
  11. black13

black13 Savant (465) Oregon Apr 11, 2010 Verified

I totally agree. If you want to go out of your way to call someone, or contact people they've traded with, or conact people in their state they may know, that's your choice. But that surely isn't required and shouldn't be expected. Maybe if the person hasn't been logging into BA, this may be an option. But, I'm of the belief that this is a trade between two people (adults). If one person fails to live up to the agreement, it's up to the person getting the short end of the stick to persue it as he chooses. In this case the OP chose to post this thread. In response, Mikey has come on here, stated he screwed up and hs shown the boxes have been shipped.

I think many people see these "bad trader" threads as bad things. That's not always the case. It's just a way to alert the community that there is a trader that isn't playing by the rules (granted there are no real rules). I think most people won't hold this against Mike and would have no problem making a trade with him in the future (although I'm sure some would ask him to ship first :)).
    Krumb and cavedave like this.
  12. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (485) Texas Feb 3, 2009 Verified

Mike did the exact same thing to me a long time ago. I eventually ended up calling his home phone number (I have always insisted on a phone number from my trading partners, he just happened to give me his home #), talked to his wife, and only then did he rectify the situation.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Poobah (1,060) New York Mar 12, 2009 Verified

I'm a guy who insists on good communication. I don't give people the benefit of the doubt for such a lapse in communication unless they were one of three things. 1. In jail 2. In hospital 3. Dead

I am typing this post in under thirty seconds.

Everybody <----------- If you aren't in the preceding situations, and don't have thirty seconds to contact a trade partner, YOU SHOULD NOT BE FUCKING TRADING!!!!!!

If you feel you don't have to contact a trade partner for any reason after multiple attempts to contact you which you ignore YOU SHOULD NOT BE FUCKING TRADING!!!!!!

I have traded with Mike and drank with Mike and I like Mike and know he wouldn't screw anyone. That said, the above is how we all should act.
  14. pittsburghkid66

pittsburghkid66 Savant (315) Indiana Dec 24, 2009 Verified

It's two lines, how can it be "too long, didn't read." Yes, I looked up what tl/dr meant.
    domtronzero likes this.
  15. Just because a message is not read on here doesn't necessarily mean the message was not seen. Don't people get an e-mail when a message is received on here? If I recall correctly, that was actually the default setting. If a person has been logging in regularly and the message was still marked as unread, that may even raise the red flag a bit higher to me personally - e.g. I might think that they're trying to avoid me by trying to make me think they just haven't seen the message when they really did in the e-mail.

I'm not commenting at all on what went down here - just saying that, in general, I wouldn't (and in some cases people probably shouldn't) always rely on those timestamps.
  16. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (485) Texas Feb 3, 2009 Verified

Well I *AM* commenting on my experience here, and my experience with mikev35 was the same as many others in this thread. I sent him message after message, and his 'login time' updated, but he never responded to my messages. He claimed that his homepage is BA, his wife uses his computer frequently, and that's why it looked like he logged into BA. A couple times, I'd buy, but he ignored messages from me for weeks.
  17. nate8767

nate8767 Aficionado (230) Alabama Nov 1, 2011 Verified

This thread just got awesome.
    abecall98 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.