1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad Trader Alert

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by fortsambo, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

Not one to post these, but enough is enough.... here is our convo so as not to to twist the situation in any way. Putting this out there so others do not make the mistake of trading with this guy.

fortsambo: Sounds like a plan man! I actually have several boxes going out tomorrow so I can get yours out then as well if that works? Just shoot me you info.
    Sam XXX
    XXX S. Lemay Ave #XXX
    Fort Collins, CO 80525
    Cheers!

Dan8181: It'll be like a day or two before I send. Is that ok? Daniel XXX XXX w XXXst place. XXXX Indiana. 46307.

fortsambo: No problem at all! Thanks for the trade, hope we can do it again... I love me some FFF! fortsambo, Mar 5, 2012 Report Reply .

fortsambo: Dropping your box off here in an hour or so via Fed Ex, cheers!
    002717515000613 fortsambo, Mar 6, 2012 Report Reply .

fortsambo:Looks like my package made it yesterday? Were you able to ship out? fortsambo, Mar 10, 2012 Report Reply .

Dan8181:hey i was told that a new batch of ZD and Dread are coming out in like a week...would you be interested in waiting a little or continue as agreed Dan8181, Mar 11, 2012

fortsambo:Hey man, I can wait for sure but whatever is easiest for you! Just keep me posted fortsambo, Mar 11, 2012 Report Reply .

fortsambo:Hey, any news? I actually got 10x ZD sent to me so if you want you can send all Dread but totally up to you. Let me know! fortsambo, Mar 20, 2012

Dan8181:eek:k i can send out some dreadnaught for you...spoke to a guy and he said newer batch is coming next week... Dan8181, Mar 20, 2012 fortsambo: Great, I'll check in next week. fortsambo, Mar 20, 2012

fortsambo: So by chance did you end up getting that box out yet? fortsambo, Mar 29, 2012

Dan8181:i totally forgot man...itll be going out monday...please resend your address so i can make sure i have it Dan8181, Apr 6, 2012

fortsambo:Sure, it's
    Sam XXX
    xxx S Lemay Ave #xxx
    Fort Collins, CO 80525
    fortsambo: Dude, what the hell? I sent your box almost 2 months ago! I guess if you don't send here in the next week I'll just report you as a bad trader, which I don't want to do but this is pretty ridiculous... fortsambo, Apr 26, 2012

Dan8181: I'm sorry man my computer crashed and lost all info. I'll be sending it out Monday. I'm sorry man. Dan8181, Apr 26, 2012

fortsambo: Thank you. fortsambo, Apr 26, 2012

Dan8181: waiting on my brother to send me the tracking number...out of town for work...as soon as i get it youll get it...sorry for the delay Dan8181, May 2, 2012

fortsambo: Dude, what's up? If you still have not sent it, I guess send it to my new address:
    Sam Bailey
    XXX Clementine Ct
    Fort Collins, CO 80525
    It's now been 2 months... fortsambo, May 13, 2012 Report Reply .

fortsambo:Alright, tracking # by Friday or I am outing you on BA and adding you to the bad trader list. Seriously, how can you pull this shit dude? Forgot about it, then computer crashed, then out of town... no more chances, I've been very patient and really cool about it. fortsambo, May 15, 2012

2. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Sorry to see his, Sam. Before the edit window closes, you might want to XXX out more of his name and address. More likely that your thread will survive...

afksports likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

With all those excuses....I am surprised he didn't pull out the ol' "my dog ate your beer box" excuse.

bhir and fortsambo like this.
  4. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Seems like a bad trader to me. Sorry to hear about your loss, would love to crack a few w/ you soon. I'm not sure BA will like real names on there, so maybe edit that if you can.

5. What a douche.

6. Verecund

Verecund Savant (315) Texas Aug 31, 2008

I'm not disputing that he's a bad trader based on the evidence, but he hasn't been on since May 2nd, so he never received your ultimatum. You may want to give him a call; let me know if you need his phone number. (I don't know the guy, but his number is publicly available.)

Also: I heard he once traded a Twisted Spoke 15th for a Partridge.

7. fortsambo

Edits made

8. fortsambo

Really? If he has a trade to make, not being on here is not an excuse... especially for a month!

Providence and Eriktheipaman like this.
  9. drewba

drewba Savant (365) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

I heard that too (at least a bakers dozen times)

Verecund likes this.
  10. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (645) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

OP, look at his postings through his profile and you can see where he has publicly posted his address and phone number.

Seems like the computers of a lot of BAs crash mid-trade.

Photekut likes this.
  11. Hanzo

While he may not have deactivated this feature, I get an email when someone contacts me on this site.

Indeed....and if this were 1984 the computer crashing excuse would be a viable one.

ediaz and aasher like this.
  12. Verecund

Verecund Savant (315) Texas Aug 31, 2008

I completely agree, and it's questionable at best that his last message made it sound like the box was going out. I wouldn't hesitate to add him to the bad trader list.

But it only takes a minute to give him a call (or contact him on facebook) and try one last time to get your box.

EDIT: He was active on facebook within the past day, so it's unlikely he has a good reason for not shipping you your beer.

13. danwho

danwho Savant (430) California Feb 18, 2010

14. LOLZ, computer crashed. Yeah, okay bro. Because in 2012, it's really hard to hop onto another computer and log into BA. GTFO. Bad trader, indeed. Sorry to hear about this Sam.

15. bhir

bhir Savant (260) Pennsylvania Nov 1, 2011

After reading stories like these and my own experience, I'm not trading with someone who wont give me a phone number. Sorry you had to deal with this.

16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

And another one bites the dust....

yamar68 likes this.
  17. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

Yeah his number is posted on his profile and he is probably on Facebook also. Nobody should have to go through all that. Not logging in for an extended period of time is also no excuse. This dude is a bad trader and complete douche.

fortsambo, what beers did you lose?

18. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

That sucks man. I never have had a problem until the end of this past year. I won a BA fantasy football league run by KeefD, and never received my box from him and 1 other BA. Boxes were supposed to out the those who won boxes at the end of January. He hasn't logged on since Feb, and I'm currently trying to find the other BA who owes me.

19. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Two months is just absurd. Even if those excuses are valid, he's at least an irresponsible trader. Outing him was the right thing to do.

20. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

Dude, how is that fair? Like I meant to send that box, and I was gonna call you, but the sprint dude shut off my phone, I tried to pay the fedex guy in bottles of Darkness and he just laughed at me saying if it ain't Miller it's all Filler (if they ever use that line in the future I have it here that I totally made a terrible rhyme first), and now I can't send it to you cause my dog ate the box.

21. "I'm sorry man my computer crashed and lost all info."

Not only is this excuse ridiculous, but he likely posted it in the very same conversation string with the address sitting three posts above him.

22. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I think I had a couple trades going on when the BA server crashed. They sent me theirs, but I hadn't gotten mine out yet and I didn't write down their addresses. I guess I took my access to the website for granted as I was kinda freaking out.
    Luckily, everybody was understanding and great bottles were shared.

If the guy really had some extenuating circumstances happen and wanted to solve the issue, it wouldn't be that hard to figure out.

23. So someone blatantly steals from you but you can't post their name on the Internet? Seems like a weird policy. I always thought the bad trader list would be more effective with real names. Afraid of defamation of character suits (I'm being serious)?

Duff27 likes this.
  24. I can't believe you were that patient. I would have laid down the ultimatum if it was just a few weeks.

That really sucks man.

25. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

This is bullshit. It is embarrassing to see Indiana "BAs" hurting OUR rep. It's too bad the guys zip code isn't 46037. I'd be all in.

Tnudish, mdvatab, Shagtastic and 4 others like this.
  26. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

I'm all for it, just don't think this site is and have heard threads get deleted b/c of it, just wanted the thread to live on.

27. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Maybe he's Amish - in which case, I'm not surprised that the package hasn't arrived yet. The horse and buggy mailing service in this country is less than hasty.

28. bauermj

bauermj Savant (475) Illinois May 4, 2009

Same story here except mine was in the Whale Football League, I drafted a NB Bottleworks X that I've never received. Still trying to hunt it down but if I haven't received it yet... Definitely my last beer related fantasy league.
    Can't believe your commish flaked on you

29. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Damn, that sucks.

Yeah, our commish had a pretty good track record before this happened. Never heard about any other problems with him. Unless something happened to him, which would change everything, he's probably using a new user name now. He's the only one with the info on the other BA who owes me as well.

30. That blows Sam..hopefully some Melange 3 will cheer you up!

fortsambo likes this.
  31. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

That sucks man. I had an LIF guy not send to me, having a little trouble with someone else, but that seems to be straightened out (we'll see), and it really sucks. These posts used to be few and far between, now one a week it seems.

32. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

Sorry to hear that, Sam. Let me know when you need a DN fix and I'll hook it up.

fortsambo likes this.
  33. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

i would be very curious to see the % of bad traders who just got in over their heads financially vs those who went in with the intent to rip people off (and i guess a 3rd category of "people who tell themselves X, Y, and Z are the reasons they're justified in screwing someone out of beer").

i know it's impossible to know (no database, no polling, no way to tell what the deadbeat trader's reasons really are), but it would be interesting.

pschul4 likes this.
  34. Hanzo

It can be easy to set up multiple trades and before you know it you're going to need hundreds of dollars worth of beer to fulfill them all. The main problem is once they have the beer from you they've lost the motivation to get you yours. If people aren't brought up like I was where if I owe you, you WILL get what's owed come hell or high water, then you likely won't see your box.

So then comes the punishment....getting put on a bad trader list. Big deal. This list should be prominently displayed, and accessible from any site beer trading takes place on. What's to stop someone from making a new account?

35. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

I got screwed in a BIF for 12 botttles of good stuff and never got a dam thing. The person who had me as a target hasnt logged on in awhile but it would have been nice to have a couple bottles sent by the organizer or something considering he is still active here. I guess you have to be real carefull even in a bif with established people.

36. Hanzo

Never being in a BIF, is the organizer responsible if participants don't come through? That doesn't seem fair.

37. bhir

bhir Savant (260) Pennsylvania Nov 1, 2011

I think the credit risk on BIFs makes them not worthwhile unless you fully understand that it isn't a matter of if, but of when and how much. I love trading, but I'll keep trades small with anyone I'm trading with for the 1st time. I'd guess that most people are well intentioned, but hit a wall when it comes to time or money. There may be some diabolical folks who are playing the long game for the huge whale trade, but what are you going to do about that?

Luckily in the end, it is just money, time, and beer - all things that come and go.

38. I've run one with a guy flaking on us, I made sure a box made it to the guy getting screwed over. I allowed someone to participate I hold myself responsible to see things go properly.

39. Hanzo

I am not saying you shouldn't or that is isn't the right thing to do, I am asking if it is basically a rule, the way he said it was it was something to be expected. As far as letting them participate, were you screening them? I suppose if you hand picked the participants it would make sense, but if someone just pops in the thread and says "I'm in" I don't see how that is your fault.

40. That's pretty much how it goes. It's the BIF organizer's responsibility to get the participant who got shafted a box. There have been some BIFs I've been in where the organizer asked if the other participants pitch in a bottle, but ultimately it's on them to ensure everyone in the BIF is taken care of.

biglobo8971 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.