1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad trader list BLKCLD.... How to handle in a BIF?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Damian74Shensky, Aug 1, 2014.

1. @blkcld

Guy owes 2 boxes one for http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/mlb-13-run-bif.154885/

to Andrew Smith and owes a box for a mini bif he ran to RayUF07. I know he sends boxes late so didn't push it much. Then he hasnt responding to my PM's and was off BA for over a month. I see he was back on not to long ago and sent him new PM's. He owes Andrew for almost 3 months now and Ray close to 2. Jeff don't be a D@$k Pay up!

Everyone avoid Jeff (blkcld)

2. Half the fun of BIFs is getting to know a ton of folks and getting to share beers with a lot of folks. We've been tossing beer around to all sorts of folks in that BIF, and I can almost guarantee everyone is going to get some beer b/f its all said and done. But to have guys out there making commitments and not following through really puts a damper on a good BIF.

I doubt I'll participate in any more BIFs he's in unless we see some real contrition, explanation and fulfillment of promises.

3. A blemish on an otherwise perfect BIF.

4. hansenm72

hansenm72 Savant (475) Wisconsin Jan 23, 2014

With the lineup we have in that BIF, I doubt @blkcld will find his way into being accepted into many more BIFs so getting into one with him in the future is probably not an issue... what I really don't understand is why the guy would throw up the minis if he 1. hadn't paid up on the original and 2. didn't intend to pay up on the minis. It seems to me like he was just being an asshole and the minis were his 2 middle fingers as he ditched the group. Shit happens but this clown had ample time at every turn to let any one of us or the people he owed know what was up.

And as an addition... there was a 3rd person he owed beer to that just got taken care of by someone else... so it's THREE separate people he dicked, not just 2.

5. Shandycan

Shandycan Savant (490) Pennsylvania Jan 15, 2014

Mentioned already, but that's one fine ass BIF we've got going, so it's a shame that this had to happen. Hopefully we'll hear something from the guy...

AndrewSmith and Damian74Shensky like this.
  6. hansenm72

This is also an example of why BIF tracking might be a good idea. Unless someone in the future reads this thread, the transgressions of an BIFer are really not a factor in their tracked reputation. I'm not sure if BIFs are a big enough part of the subculture on this site or not, but I think being able to send someone out an official invitation to a BIF would be a great piece of additional feedback. I'm sure guys like @Damian74Shensky who start a BIF every 4th day wouldn't mind sending out 51 feedback comments after a BIF ends ;)

tommyguz and Damian74Shensky like this.
  7. Rofl. It's more like every 5th day. Lol. But that would be awesome if we could get a feedback system to include bifs.

tommyguz likes this.
  8. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (390) New York Nov 21, 2008

Couldnt the bif owner just send out trade requests to everyone in the bif? A hassle for sure, but then you have accountability.

cavedave and Damian74Shensky like this.
  9. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (565) Florida Aug 11, 2012

This would work. Assuming all goes well with the BIF, then just let the trade expire. If the BIF participant doesn't follow through, negative feedback from BIF moderator. Put a link to that BIF in the negative feedback comments?

Damian74Shensky likes this.
  10. Think I might start doing this, if all participants agree? If not could just boot that person...

11. hansenm72

Assuming your BIF only lasts 30 days

12. IPAFan521

IPAFan521 Savant (460) Illinois Jan 20, 2013

This could work, but it would have to be the organizer setting these up and then cancelling them once boxes are received. The in theory, the targets and senders could set up their own as well. Senders would have to be required to accept and the ship date would have to fall about 3 weeks after the acceptances. If not accepted, the sender would be booted and a new sender would go into his place (maybe a BIF waiting list).

13. Dicers

Dicers Champion (905) Texas Sep 2, 2012

They bumped the expiration to 90 days

14. So if I get everyone on board with running a bif and excepting trades we have 90 days to complete the bif, thus trade expires? So I'm outta luck because football season is at least 120 days.

15. mps

mps Savant (285) Ohio Jul 27, 2013

Wait to do it until you're into the season a bit? If people don't except the request by a date you set they aren't eligible to win?

16. The only thing about about that. You could have guys do real bad at the beginning of the season, no chance to win. They quit, the winner is out a couple boxes etc...

17. mps

mps Savant (285) Ohio Jul 27, 2013

Still better than not doing trade requests at all right? Out someone as a thief four weeks into it rather than 2 months after they were supposed to send their box out

18. hansenm72

yeah... I really don't think it works with the trade feedback as they are today. I think it needs to be developed as a feedbacking system of it's own. The real question in that is for the bros and mods to determine if the BIF subculture is a big enough part of the community to warrant the work it would take to pull that off.

Dicers and Damian74Shensky like this.
  19. F2brewers

F2brewers Moderator (490) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2005 Staff Member

This is a good question IMO.

Moved this to the Site Help section and am tagging @Todd for his input.

Dicers likes this.
  20. hansenm72

aww... now I'm like a real contributor!

21. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Moved this back, as it's not a site issue and the overall thread isn't asking for a feature request.

I won't say never, but we have no plans on developing a separate feedback system for BIF anytime soon as we have a ton of other projects on our plates. And yes, we'd have to assess if the size of the BIF community and demand is worthy of the project first.

In the meantime, perhaps the community can come up with an interim solution.

22. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

23. I usually only participate in @Damian74Shensky BIFs (or ones he is in usually, since we have similar interests it seems aka sports) so I won't have to worry about being involved in one with someone flaky, but as I am starting to get settled back in after a hectic summer if @blkcld doesn't take care of his duties I would be more than happy to help out to make sure it's fulfilled.

AndrewSmith and Damian74Shensky like this.