Bad Trader/Trustee Alert: GuruDel

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by javincik, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is probably way too late; but just in case he reactivates on here, I don't want anyone else to get burned. He hasn't been active on here since early June, so I don't know what the deal is.

To make a long story short, GuruDel offered to be my Trustee for the Bruery RS back in March. Between April and early June he picked up about 20 bottles from Provisions on my behalf. After multiple promises to "ship out next week," he never sent a single bottle. After I appealed to a fellow BA who apparently knows him (I won't name names, but perhaps he will shed some light on this situation if he sees this thread), I received a text message almost immediately (this was at the end of July) promising to ship out "this weekend." Still nothing. And no communication at all. The worst part of the whole deal is that back in April, I sent him a pretty nice box of locals for compensation and some money to cover shipping. He did have one other Trustee who vouched for him as a reference back in March; I don't know what his experiences have been over the past few months.

I don't expect to ever see anything, but anyone with information (even if there are extenuating circumstances, which I doubt, it doesn't excuse the nonexistent communication) can private message me.

2. That's a lot of beer to just give up on.

He has a Google+ profile linked from his BA profile, and a FB account. IMHO, it's time to put a little more pressure on him.

3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Ouch, Christ that is brutal. 20+ bottles?!

EDIT : almost forgot - DICK MOVE

4. 20 bottles? At $10 to $25 per bottle, that's called petty theft.

5. Shoo65

Shoo65 Savant (270) Indiana Oct 23, 2011

I think this sums it up. I would Pursue extensively

ales4baldo likes this.
  6. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Don't forget the $300 signup fee and 8 9 bottles that included.

7. This totally sucks.

8. Report him to the list.

here

HopsJunkiedotcom and claaark13 like this.
  9. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

You should offer up your bottle of Grey Monday as a bounty to whatever CA BA knocks on his door and gets your bottles via brute force and water boarding.

10. MordorMongo

Man I honestly think this is worst thing I have heard of. I mean life happens and shit, but not only was he not out anything but a bit of time but you pre-sent cash and a thanks box. What a fucking asshole!

11. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Agreed, that's the worst stiff on BA I've ever read - agree that it's theft. I'd pursue him with a vengeance too - if that's his real name out there, it's all you need to start a campaign.

12. Since I can't write on your profile anymore...your inbox is full. I has 2 Abacus (not Sucaba) and live about 30mins from Plano and stuffs. Shoot me a BM pwease.

rmalinowski4 likes this.
  13. Someone send me a Grey Monday and this MFer get to see me in person. Thats some shameless shit dude. What a douchebag.

14. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

You have his cell #, why dont you call him vs. posting on BA

cosmicevan likes this.
  15. I said something similar to this about another worthless scumbag (SpottedZombie)who ripped off multiple BA's. I said in a joking matter " the SOB needs a good ole' fashioned ass whoopin'." Then I was confronted by a fellow BA (the moral police) I guess some people don't get our sarcasm/humor.

16. bawn JERN know

17. gore-LAH-me

gpawned, huadog, gdodd12 and 2 others like this.
  18. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

No, some of us just like to see bad trader threads stay visible. Threatening violence/torture tends to get them deleted.

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Let's be honest, this guy stole all this beer/money because he has the anonymity of the internet to protect him. It would take no violence to get it back, it would just take someone knocking on his door for it, then the situation turns real and he can put a face to his victim. So that being said...isn't California nice this time of year?

Duff27 and cfh64 like this.
  20. Here's my $0.02:

Call the Bruery and ask them to fax/email you the invoices to show that he picked them up for you. Your 'trustee' had to sign the invoice to show he took possession of the beers.

Then email these invoices to your 'Trustee' to show you have proof he has your beer. Explain that he has 48 hours to provide a confirmed tracking number before you pursue other avenues to get your beer. Be vague about your other 'avenues'.

In the future, I would recommend sending/emailing your trustee a shipping label via FedEx and not cash/check/etc. to reimburse for shipping costs. Getting screwed on shipping charges when nothing was shipped is salt in the open wound.

Best of luck to you.

YaKnowBrady and jrnyc like this.
  21. Fedex account #'s work well too. They only work when the box is being sent to the account holders address.

22. FosterJM

Okay.....I was holding my 2 month old and couldnt type on my iphone last night.

Here goes. I can assure you GuruDel has not stolen the OP's beers. He is my normal drinking partner and I can attest that its shitty he hasnt shipped his beers yet, but lets be CLEAR. He is by no means stealing the beers. He is in the RS himself and has no need for all the extra beers. GuruDel and I normally have a tasting every 2 weeks and I HAVE NOT SEEN HIM SINCE MAY. I will say life has gotten in the way and yes its taken awhile for him to ship, due to lack of time. He switched jobs from OC near the Bruery & Provisions to deep San Diego and rarely has time to do anything but work/family with 3 kids under 5 at home. I will say it again HE IS NOT STEALING THE OPs beers. I called him last night. Gurudel has been absent from BA because he hasnt had time to come on with his work schedule and travel. I was informed that the OP never called or texted or emailed GuruDel but decided to send ME a BM and then run to the internets to whine but never did the OP contact GuruDel directly to handle this.

Cheers!

FUNKPhD likes this.
  23. sstorck

sstorck Aficionado (120) California Jun 28, 2010

Look, if you want to help this guy get into a pissing match over how busy he is relative to someone else, so be it. I think I can easily give him a run for the money on lack of time. He needs to very graciously get the beer out the door and facilitate finding someone else to be the trustee, STAT.

If he had the time to drink with you at a tasting every two weeks, he sure as shootin' had time to get a package sent out via Fedex. Maybe you could make your next tasting with him a, "Package and send GuruDel's beer", event and help him get it going.

I spend a lot less time pursuing beer because of my 4 children ages 1 to 7. Sounds like he got stuck realizing beer needs to take a bit of a backseat to keeping a family going. He should do the right thing then and apologize and get the beer out.

"Cheers" in this case sounds a little bit like "Bless his little heart".

24. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (395) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

So you are the one that does not like Ice-T.
    I am pretty sure a quick "Hey I had drastic life changes please be patient I will get your beers to you." Would go a long way here.

25. Hanzo

Was this information conveyed to the OP prior to now?

His side of the story is all he keeps hearing is "shipping soon". I don't think if he were told what you just wrote he'd have made this thread.

Communication is key to trading.

26. FosterJM

You missed my point. 1. I HAVENT seen him in 3 months. 2. How about the OP take some action and call him vs. whining on the internet. Dont go through BA when he doesnt log on anymore.

Cheers!

YaKnowBrady likes this.
  27. FosterJM

How would the OP know if he never contacted GuruDel directly. It wasnt until after I got a BM, I had to call GuruDel.

Cheers!

28. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (395) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

You are pretty funny. You havent seen him since about the time he has OP's beers, but you can speak to his intentions. That is a pretty good trick I will have to learn that one.

ravot, jrnyc, ObiWanKushnobi and 6 others like this.
  29. He would know if GuruDel had taken the, what, 5 seconds to log in and send him a quick note. Or text again. I understand busy life making it difficult to sit and browse the BA forum, but I don't understand not being able to send a quick update to someone whose beers you've had for three months.

30. Hanzo

It is your pals responsibility to keep the OP apprised of the situation. Also, even if the OP only communicated via BM here, with your friend having a pending transaction he should have been checking in to this site (it's 2012 there are countless ways to access the internet no matter how busy you are). Also, unless he turned the feature off he should be getting emails to alert him when a new BM comes in, so even if he didn't come here to check he should have known someone was trying to get a hold of him.

31. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (390) Florida Jan 26, 2012

like that you defend your partner. loyalty means alot. but i hope you're telling him to man up and ship out said package.

32. FosterJM

Glad you think its funny to listen to someone whine on the internet when he has even contacted someone directly. Obviously he hasnt logged on in forever, so try the logical thing to do. He has the trustees cell # and email. Why doesnt he use it? Sack up and handle things yourself vs. whining to a bunch of strangers or contacting me 1st.
    All I am trying to say

To your second point. Yes I will speak for his intentions. I am in contract with him via phone and we were trying to get a tasting together because hes been so busy, so If I can pick up a phone so can the OP.

Cheers!

33. The trustee knows what is going on here, he doesn't need a call or text as a reminder. Put yourself in Guru's shoes...would you have let it get to this point without picking up the phone and telling your trading partner what is happening? I know he's your pal and hopefully he can pull through, but javincik's manner of communication is irrelevant at this point...

34. It takes 60 seconds to give a guy a phonecall or write a quick email. 'Ive been really busy since May' is a BS excuse, this is straight up theft IMO.

jrnyc likes this.
  35. I hope you're not implying that because the OP didn't call him directly before now that your friend is absolved of any responsibility here. Life happens, for sure, but if he picked up the beer as a trustee, he assumed responsibility to either ship it out, or inform the OP why he hasn't yet done so (or find someone else to do the trustee job for him). Just vanishing from sight isn't a valid option here.

36. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Regardless if he's your friend or not he's still a bad trader and should go on the list. We all have busy lives, but I bet over the course of a few weeks he could find some time to get it together and send it out. I know he's your friend and you don't want to see him slandered but OP made the right decision by coming out here and telling people about this. If we make people feel bad when bad traders like this are reported they will stop being reported and more people will get screwed. If he's really in that bad of a state and he was my friend it wouldn't take much for me to zip over and grab the beers to send them out myself. This needs to be fixed one way or another and at this point the trustee doesn't look like he cares enough to do it himself.

smutty33, acurtis, JohnB87 and 6 others like this.
  37. MordorMongo

I know if I had multiple hundreds of dollars of someone else's beer I would take it upon myself to keep them advised of issues. Life happens but that is fucked. If the trustee has picked up the beers and not bothered to contact the OP at all then I am sorry that sure appears shady/thievery. Period. If it was my friend I would be busting his balls reminding him of his responsibility. Obviously opinions vary, but I am having a hard time with the "well the OP didn't call or email" defense of such a blatant DICK MOVE.

38. Why volunteer for a labor intensive job that requires significant effort and time contributions when you don't have any free time? Not to mention, after the other person takes their time to compensate for the job you promised to do, don't you feel responsible for going through with it? Take some personal responsibility.

It just seems like the trustee in question here really didn't think before volunteering to do this and doesn't even have the decency to stay in contact with the OP. Hopefully they come to their senses and it gets straightened out. Still bad form IMO.

39. For the amount of time that has passed I would say to OP is in the right here and not being a whiner. Is it really that hard to pack up a box and drop it off at UPS/Fedex when he has had well over a month to do so? He could even set up for a home pickup, and make it that much easier. Is it also really that hard to log on to BA for 2 minutes and send him message explaining the situation? I know having three young kids is a pain, but it is not fair to make someone wait this long, especially considering the amount of money tied up at the moment. What it really comes down to is laziness and incompetence on Gurus end.

40. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Yeah its a lot of fun to have to constantly remind someone that they owe you something when they obviously know that. Your boy needs to sack up and live up to his word. The funny thing is all of the bad trader posts seem to start with "life has gotten in the way of sending the beer". And then it turns into. "You wined and bothered me so much now it's your fault that I am ripping you off" Your boy is acting like a D-bag. If you make a deal with me and can't live up to it. It is your job to call me and explain yourself. It's not my job to hunt your sorry ass down for an explainaiton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.