1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad Trader/Trustee Alert: GuruDel

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by javincik, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Oh waaaah - I have kids and can't ship because I'm so busy waaaaaaah.

Please.

I have a 2 and 3 year old, work 60 hours, am working 2 multi million dollar transportation projects - and shipped 4 packages with around 75lbs of beer out yesterday no problem. I also managed to find the the MASSIVE ( read: 1 minute or so ) amount of time require to communicate with my trading partners.
    There is no excuse whatsoever. "He didn't log onto BA" <--- that's because he's hiding.
  2. sgoro

sgoro Savant (395) Illinois Jul 15, 2010

Sounds like the name of a future Cigar City beer.
  3. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

OH GOD YES X100000000.

No one else has a busy life. o_O
  4. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I think everyone is in the wrong here.
  5. Unless the guy is in a coma there's no excuse not to shoot a quick bm/email with an update every so often and the "so busy/life happened" excuse is such BS.
    jrnyc likes this.
  6. FosterJM, based on your reputation alone, I would be relieved if I were the OP.

We all understand that life gets busy, shit happens, etc. Communication is key on both ends.

A few months ago I did text, call and email my trustee when I hadn't received a response to a BM I sent a few weeks earlier. Turns out my trustee had a lot going on at work/home and just didn't have time to organize, pack and ship the boxes.

Was I worried after not hearing back from him for a few weeks? Yeah. Should I have been? Ehh, probably not. Afterall, my trustee had been kind enough to take on the responsibility of shipping these beers to me. He never asked for anything in return, just that I provide the boxes and the shipping labels. If my trustee were predatory in anyway, I wouldn't have gotten the earlier boxes containing the more desirable Bruery beers like Chocolate Rain, etc.

The relationship with an RS trustee is an interesting one. It's more often than not a relationship between two 'strangers' where the risk is basically one sided. I'm grateful for the trustee I have. I try, as did the OP, to show my gratitude by sending a thank you box full of goodies.

I think both parties can learn a valuable lesson here.

1) Exhaust all avenues before you out someone on BA (I've been in your shoes, it can be nerve racking!)
    2) Being a good trustee means keeping the communication lines open, not just shipping the beer. You agreed to trustee, take it seriously, because the other person in this relationship certainly is.
  7. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

OP don't know if anyone else has offered but if you need a new trustee let me know. I have plenty of references that I can give you. Also, since it sounds like gurudel moved to SD and does not have time to ship out the boxes I might be able to meet with him and get your boxes sent to you.

I do request that you have a fedex account number rather than dealing with cash.
  8. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

Please stop passive aggressively "Cheers!"-ing.
  9. I have emailed and texted the person in question many, many times. He never once sent me an email or text without me prompting him first. He told me 3 or 4 times from late May/early June through late July he would be shipping "next week" or "this weekend" and failed to come through. I feel like I gave him enough time to give me an update or ship.

I don't want to get into a pointless argument on here. If I end up receiving my beer, I will gladly post an update or another thread. I know sometimes life gets in the way, but I just don't think this is acceptable.
    Shoo65, Fluteswell, jrnyc and 2 others like this.
  10. Thank you for calling this out, this can be infuriating on the BA forums (a few notable BAers do this constantly and it drives me insane)!
  11. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

How about sack up and send the bloody beer? The OP already sacked up when he sent his side. Your dude needs to square up.

The fact remains, the dude is a bad trader at this point...intentional or not. Yes, the OP can pick up the phone but why is it upon the OP to babysit a grown man who obviously knows what his trading obligation is?

Hanzo's point about auto-notifications is spot on. Should the OP also throw up the Bat Signal to ensure he's putting every possible mode of communication to use?

I certainly wouldn't fall on my sword for this bad trader...or the "well, the OP can call him too!" point.
    jrnyc and ObiWanKushnobi like this.
  12. evilc

Can you imagine not having 22 seconds time since May? Wow - busy guy.
  13. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Have you not noticed, I say it in every thread I type? Have since day 1
    commis and queens1130 like this.
  14. evilc

What happened with this one? =)
  15. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

I honestly have trouble believing ANYONE is defending this guy. I don't care how busy you are, packaging beer up and dropping it at FedEx is not exactly time-consuming, nor is quickly sending the OP a message.

Also, if someone I knew pulled a move like this I sure as hell wouldn't be trying to set up a tasting with them until the beer was sent out, nor making excuses for them on BA. This is a dick move plain and simple.
    smutty33, jrnyc and ASUBeer like this.
  16. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

I noticed that you have always done that and 99% of the time it fits the situation quite well. I'm sure that this one was just typed out of habit as usual but to someone not used to seeing your postings it might have seemed odd.

As far as your friend is concerned, a trustee is a person who holds a position of trust or responsibility for the benefit of another. From what I have read in this thread so far, the OP has zero reason to trust him at all. If you really want to help out your pal, try giving him a big push to get OP's beer in the mail.
    Good luck to all involved!
    smutty33, acurtis and jrnyc like this.
  17. I can vouch for nanobrew. Unless, of course, his ultimate plan is to pile up as many trustees as possible, and then flee the country with nothing but a passport and 100 bottles of Black Tuesday. :)
    JohnB87 and HopsJunkiedotcom like this.
  18. For the record, that's roughly 13 weeks, or one quarter of an entire year. It also represents roughly 2184 hours...of which it takes but 1 or 2 to get something out the door. Busy life can fuck off, frankly. That beer needs to be out the door...like...3 months minus 1-2 weeks ago.
    jrnyc, ObiWanKushnobi and ASUBeer like this.
  19. FalconA

FalconA Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 10, 2011

I'd retract that statement if I were you... unless you have express written consent from MordorMongo. He's been sloppy with using the symbol, but I'm pretty sure he got the trademark months ago.
    JohnB87, Etan, gklover1 and 11 others like this.
  20. evilc

Since he is so pressed for time - perhaps he could place 1 beer per day in a shipper for the next 20 days, and ship two 12 shippers off on the 21st day? I'll send him the shippers =)
    DavoleBomb, bfg75, Duff27 and 2 others like this.
  21. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Duly noted and retracted. How about, "This is the mark of an a**hole, plain and simple"? :p
  22. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

They know him and like him as a person, plain and simple. As stated before it's pretty heart-warming to think people are still willing to stand up for their bros.

I was ditched on a 60-dollar item myself once on another forum. The guy just left and people were accusing me of exposing it too fast, whereas I contacted him multiple times via PM and notified the moderators but they didn't really give a shit. He was a respectable trader that had done a lot of deals but that didn't change the fact he had my money.

And yes, if you have the time to pick up the bottles you have the time to ship them. I legitimately hope everything turns out okay and GuruDEL gets his private stuff sorted. These things happen, and generally they don't spin way out of control. Just some communication issues, c'est la vie!
    futura123 likes this.
  23. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

can you not switch trustees? i don't know since i never followed up with the RS (sticker shock).

wouldn't it have made sense for GuruDel to contact the OP, say that "life happened," and ask that he try to line up another trustee, then close out everything that was still up in the air ASAP?
  24. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

No, that would make sense to do.
  25. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Off the topic of this specific case... what's wrong with waiting three months to send some beers out? I suppose it depends upon the understanding with the trustee, but I am not the beer of the month club. I ship the beer out when it makes sense, i.e. 1-2 full cases at a time.
    jp7161 likes this.
  26. FosterJM

Cheers!

oh and....

Cheers!

Better?
  27. Based on OP, it sounds like he's had 20 bottles since June. And I suspect that had he already shipped a full case and was holding 8 back, we would not be here right now.
  28. FosterJM

Cheers!

oh and....

Cheers!

Better?
  29. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

Absolutely nothing as long as the communication is clear. I personally prefer to have mine shipped once a 12 bottle is filled up regardless of how long that takes unless I really need a particular beer for a tasting or something.
    Photekut and jodan like this.
  30. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Savant (315) Nebraska Mar 15, 2012

Note to self: Never trade with GuruDel and FosterJM.
  31. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I agree if it is communicated (which apparently it wasn't!). Not RS but have been involved with someone that is quite a bit and understand it works best with full shippers.
  32. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Nope too late, doesn't count!
    I'm saddened to inform you your streak has been destroyed...
    Fluteswell likes this.
  33. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I think it is important to note 2 things. gurudel is in southern California, and has to commute to San Diego.
    --The internet is broken in that part of California
    --Neither UPS, nor FedEx do business in that part of the country
    This is why gurudel has been able to keep in touch and ship the box ;)
    afrokaze, podunkparte, cfh64 and 2 others like this.
  34. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I think these are the sharpest pitchforks I have ever seen wielded on BA...even the messenger is taking beating.
  35. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I agree but it IS the highest $ screw job in recent memory so it only makes sense I suppose.
    jrnyc likes this.
  36. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I wouldn't call it a screw job quite yet. There are two sides to every story, and I'm not defending gurudel, but often times when a person hasn't vanished from the face of the earth and they come back to BA (by force) they shed light on the real story.

I still say add him to the bad trader list because this is unacceptable, but I'd like to hear what he has to say.
    DavoleBomb likes this.
  37. Picking up bottles, packing them and shipping them off takes time. Maybe if you just throw the bottles loose in a bottle shipper but if you're taking the time to secure them in there it can take awhile just ask my wife.
  38. evilc

Months?
    Photekut likes this.
  39. Well said and I also can't remember ever liking so many posts in one thread.
    mcaulifww and jrnyc like this.
  40. You've figured out how to make you wife pack your boxes for you? I'm impressed.

;)
    Duff27, Kotie, DavoleBomb and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.