1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad Trader/Trustee Alert: GuruDel

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by javincik, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I secure the bottles with more bubble wrap before putting them in shippers. Yes it takes a while longer, about 20-30 minutes per box. That still isn't too long.

I think what makes this a frustrating situation is not entirely the length of time the trustee has had the bottles (I have some bottles of trustees for that long, but I am either waiting to pickup more bottles to fill a shipper or waiting on a box to arrive) but the poor communication. From the failed promises of ship dates to the lack of response. I contact my trusters (is that the right word?) prior to picking up an allocation, after I have the allocation, when their box arrives, an estimated shipping date, and then confirmation they received the automatic FedEx info, and after the box arrived to make sure all is well.

2. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Can't be. I've heard they got internet out Californi-way

The one thing I object to here is that this wasn't a trade. I don't think people should be added to the bad trader list for things that are not trades.

3. Full Disclosure:

I was a member of the RS last year. My first Trustee (before GuruDel) picked up and shipped my earliest allocations from the beginning of this year. My first Trustee then asked me to find another Trustee because his wife was having a baby and he said he didn't have the time. After putting up an ISO, GuruDel offered to help me out. Hence, the current situation.

He did say in his last message to me (over 3 weeks ago, the same one in which he said he would be shipping out "this weekend") to find another Trustee, as he didn't live near the Bruery anymore (which was the first I heard of his moving). By this time, I obviously wasn't hurt by the request. Regardless, every response I did get over the time period in question was after prompting him for an update about every 2-3 weeks. He never sent me a quick note or heads up of his own accord.

4. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I see your point, and kind of agree, but would you trade with him?

JohnB87 and Dine like this.
  5. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Further evidence of our need for a DICK MOVE list. ;)

6. I dunno, there was alway Bitzy, the torches were busted out for that one along with some sharp as hell pitchforks. 100% deserved in that case.

7. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

pitchfork/torch increases exponentially when bad trader comes out of the woodwork and tries to mount a defense, especially if the defense is really bad.

also, while bitzy jokes are a bit amusing, having met him and seen a couple of his youtube videos, it's obvious that he has some sort of developmental disorder. i'm guessing he's reasonably autistic and his parents are rich, assuming his assertions of being in grad school were true (reasoning being that you could get reasonably far in academia with enough money and support even if you were so autistic that you had severe social problems).

the guy was really "not present" when i talked to him, and got up mid-sentence and walked away even though our conversation was friendly. :) i'm sure some of you reading this think that "hmm... got up and walked away mid-sentence while talking to whoever the person is behind 'pahn'. that doesn't sound very far-fetched at all..." but i assure you that i wasn't like insulting him or anything, and i'm not that creepy. i am kind of creepy though.

smutty33, cosmicevan, Etan and 3 others like this.
  8. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

Alright, that made me laugh.

9. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

ISO: Non-Autistic Trader with realistic expectations FT: Long-Term trading relationship.

10. "trading"?

11. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

You must teach Math.

brooklynbrews and crushedvol like this.
  12. kort27

kort27 Savant (250) Illinois Apr 23, 2009

I meet almost all of these requirements!

2beerdogs likes this.
  13. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

There's no use in even trying to articulate how to going about handling this. Do whatever you deem necessary. Send him some cat shit, or some anthrax for all I care. The guy is clearly a total fuckin' dick nugget.

bfg75 and RochesterAaron like this.
  14. Krumb

Krumb Savant (290) Texas Jan 30, 2008

Sounds like he stole beer. And dont turn it around on OP...Gurudel! *cue dramatic hamster music*

2beerdogs likes this.
  15. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (525) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Short of dead, coma or a recent Chinese athlete that did not win gold for the motherland, there is no excuse for not communicating. I would rather be told, "I'm fucking you and I ain't using lube." Than to have to spend hours, days or weeks playing fucking Columbo trying to get to the bottom of what happened on the other end of a trade. I can think of about a dozen ways of letting someone know, "Hey dude, I bit off more than I can chew. Can you please find someone else to ship these to you." Or, "Man, life just decided I'm a fecalpheliac and took a dump all over me thinking I'd enjoy it. It might be a while before I can send you your beer."

Silence is not golden, silence makes you an asshole.

16. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

I tried searching Google for it....

I don't know. I don't want to know. I'm out.

17. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

You must share what you have learned with the masses. So we may all benefit from your wisdom.

18. drewba

drewba Savant (365) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

Gurudel was "confronted" on facebook. Words and stuff were exchanged, but credit goes to Kungfu Mike for a tasteless joke that turned the tables. "Hey KungFu Mike, I just wanted to make it clear, I sir applaud you, you clearly understand the internet and get a gold star for the day. In fact, you win so much you inspired me to reach out to Jason and make good on things"

See you next week, angry mob!

tewaris and NiceFly like this.
  19. Really? All that makes it sound like is he originally had no intentions to "make good on things." Classy.

20. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

Tasteless joke or it did not happen.

21. MordorMongo

I love how the dude says the OP has his number, fucking people feel they have ZEROPOINTZERO responsibility.

Pro tip : If you are holding hundreds of dollars of someone else's beer you should remain in contact with them.

This really isn't rocket science.

22. Patrick

Sounded sarcastic to me. I bet OP will get his beer.

23. Could be, and I hope so.

24. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

I think the big issue is that he has the bottles. He had time to pick them up, but not ship them. If they were still at the Bruery, it'd be as simple as changing trustees.

25. He did not seem particularly apologetic based on the FB exchange. If anything, somewhat antagonistic.

ales4baldo and apocalypsezombie like this.
  26. MordorMongo

Yeah pretty much what I took from it as well. Not sure he thinks he has done ANY wrong at all.

27. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Link to FB post?

28. Patrick

At this point don't you think the more this guy gets harassed the less cooperative he will be? He hasn't disappeared from the face of the earth like most bad traders, and his friend is active on BA. I'm sure FosterJM encouraged him to ship ASAP.

Also, I feel like his natural reaction to harassment would be to get defensive. Why would anyone try to scare this guy off before he can ship the beer?

wagenvolks likes this.
  29. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

I am dying to know what the joke was. Drew?

cosmicevan likes this.
  30. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

He comes off as a douche on fb. I feel bad that the OP has to deal with him.

31. MordorMongo

Harassment?? My post is harassment exactly how? I stated my opinion of his reaction. I hope the OP gets his beer, I really do, and I am sorry but if you think my post is scaring him off from fulfilling his duties then I don't know what to say to you.

EDIT : wasn't it YOU that wanted to hear what he had to say?? So I guess you don't then now.

32. Patrick

I'm not talking about you, or just you, and I don't use facebook so I don't know what people said to him on his wall. I'm just saying, if you or anyone else has the OP in mind, they will keep it civil and treat the guy like he owes someone something that the OP might not get back. Be a dick right off the bat and he might say fuck it I'm keeping the beer.

33. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Nobody went to his wall and harassed him. This was all done in a closed group on facebook. I personally think that he should be called out though, we keep burying this stuff and it keeps getting worse. It used to be a box that didn't get shipped, now we're talking about hundreds of dollars of beer that he seems like he doesn't give a damn about.

34. Patrick

He already did get called out. I am just saying that lots of BAs are huge assholes and could potentially make this guy fall off the face of the earth if they aren't careful about how they "call this guy out".

The goal here is to get the OP his beer.

Treat it like a hostage situation. Don't just bust in cappin' asses and having your hostages get all shot up. Give the guy his $1 million and a helicopter with enough gas to get to Mexico.

35. MordorMongo

We get it, thanks for making assumptions and accusations you clearly don't know a thing about. Glad you have the OPs best interests in mind when obviously the rest of us do not. My last post on this subject.

Shagtastic likes this.
  36. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

Hostages, where have I heard that before?

37. This made me laugh more than anything. I do hope the OP manages to get their beer though. I would be beyond furious if this happened to me.

38. Patrick

It's not an assumption at all that a ton of BAs are assholes, and if you think I was directly calling you one, I wasn't. Sorry if you thought that. I picture this guys facebook situation being full of the guys who typically (used to) threadshit in the ISO:FT forum, except there is no moderation there.

39. I think I'm ready to open my bad trader bounty hunter business.

You pay expenses, I keep 20% of the beer I seize.

40. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Once again since you chose not to read it the first time, this was not on his facebook wall, it was in a private group. Someone posted something and he took the time to respond, which is more time then he took to send the OP a message.

brooklynbrews likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.