1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Bad Trader/Trustee Alert: GuruDel

Discussion in 'Bad Traders' started by javincik, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

No, that would make sense to do.

2. vacax

vacax Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2008 California

Off the topic of this specific case... what's wrong with waiting three months to send some beers out? I suppose it depends upon the understanding with the trustee, but I am not the beer of the month club. I ship the beer out when it makes sense, i.e. 1-2 full cases at a time.

jp7161 likes this.
  3. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

Cheers!

oh and....

Cheers!

Better?

4. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 Initiate (0) May 10, 2009 Texas

Based on OP, it sounds like he's had 20 bottles since June. And I suspect that had he already shipped a full case and was holding 8 back, we would not be here right now.

5. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

Cheers!

oh and....

Cheers!

Better?

6. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

Absolutely nothing as long as the communication is clear. I personally prefer to have mine shipped once a 12 bottle is filled up regardless of how long that takes unless I really need a particular beer for a tasting or something.

Photekut and jodan like this.
  7. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2012 Nebraska

Note to self: Never trade with GuruDel and FosterJM.

8. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Nope too late, doesn't count!
    I'm saddened to inform you your streak has been destroyed...

Fluteswell likes this.
  9. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think it is important to note 2 things. gurudel is in southern California, and has to commute to San Diego.
    --The internet is broken in that part of California
    --Neither UPS, nor FedEx do business in that part of the country
    This is why gurudel has been able to keep in touch and ship the box :wink:

afrokaze, podunkparte, cfh64 and 2 others like this.
  10. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I think these are the sharpest pitchforks I have ever seen wielded on BA...even the messenger is taking beating.

11. Patrick

Deactivated

I wouldn't call it a screw job quite yet. There are two sides to every story, and I'm not defending gurudel, but often times when a person hasn't vanished from the face of the earth and they come back to BA (by force) they shed light on the real story.

I still say add him to the bad trader list because this is unacceptable, but I'd like to hear what he has to say.

DavoleBomb likes this.
  12. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2010 California

Picking up bottles, packing them and shipping them off takes time. Maybe if you just throw the bottles loose in a bottle shipper but if you're taking the time to secure them in there it can take awhile just ask my wife.

13. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

Months?

Photekut likes this.
  14. ObiWanKushnobi

ObiWanKushnobi Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2011 Minnesota

Well said and I also can't remember ever liking so many posts in one thread.

mcaulifww and jrnyc like this.
  15. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina

You've figured out how to make you wife pack your boxes for you? I'm impressed.

:wink:

Duff27, Kotie, DavoleBomb and 11 others like this.
  16. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

I secure the bottles with more bubble wrap before putting them in shippers. Yes it takes a while longer, about 20-30 minutes per box. That still isn't too long.

I think what makes this a frustrating situation is not entirely the length of time the trustee has had the bottles (I have some bottles of trustees for that long, but I am either waiting to pickup more bottles to fill a shipper or waiting on a box to arrive) but the poor communication. From the failed promises of ship dates to the lack of response. I contact my trusters (is that the right word?) prior to picking up an allocation, after I have the allocation, when their box arrives, an estimated shipping date, and then confirmation they received the automatic FedEx info, and after the box arrived to make sure all is well.

17. vacax

vacax Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2008 California

Can't be. I've heard they got internet out Californi-way

The one thing I object to here is that this wasn't a trade. I don't think people should be added to the bad trader list for things that are not trades.

18. javincik

javincik Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2008 North Carolina

Full Disclosure:

I was a member of the RS last year. My first Trustee (before GuruDel) picked up and shipped my earliest allocations from the beginning of this year. My first Trustee then asked me to find another Trustee because his wife was having a baby and he said he didn't have the time. After putting up an ISO, GuruDel offered to help me out. Hence, the current situation.

He did say in his last message to me (over 3 weeks ago, the same one in which he said he would be shipping out "this weekend") to find another Trustee, as he didn't live near the Bruery anymore (which was the first I heard of his moving). By this time, I obviously wasn't hurt by the request. Regardless, every response I did get over the time period in question was after prompting him for an update about every 2-3 weeks. He never sent me a quick note or heads up of his own accord.

19. Patrick

Deactivated

I see your point, and kind of agree, but would you trade with him?

JohnB87 and Dine like this.
  20. phillybeer7779

phillybeer7779 Initiate (0) May 31, 2010 Pennsylvania

I dunno, there was alway Bitzy, the torches were busted out for that one along with some sharp as hell pitchforks. 100% deserved in that case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.