1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bad trader

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Irishace9, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irishace9

Irishace9 Savant (295) Illinois Sep 7, 2012

How long do you give someone before deciding that you've been duped?

2. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Has there been communication back and forth or are they just ignoring you?

3. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

I usually give my bad traders a few hours before I post a thread. If I don't get the box they sent the same day I send mine, BAD TRADER. If they back out of a trade, BAD TRADER. If they have a 2012 BA account, BAD TRADER.

However, most people usually about a week without communication though. If there has been enough communication, no need to worry. If you haven't heard from him in a week, I would send a BM, and threaten to call him out. No reply, CALL HIM OUT.

4. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

Once you come to the realization that you've been 'duped' is when you've been duped. By assuming something must have just come up (the old 'Life Happens' mantra) with the other guy, you can cling to hope, and not have the hard feelings toward yourself for being so gullible and allowing yourself to be duped.

So, for your sake, I recommend you just assume that box is on the way, and you should probably send another box to the guy, because he's obviously going through a tough period right now, and it would probably cheer him up.

5. Irishace9

Good communication back and forth for a couple days now that my box has been sent he hasn't responded.

6. time since you shipped?

7. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Life does happen every one in a while. Personally i would wait an absolute min of a week or two. Its entirely possible that something came up and if its only been a couple days he may not have been able to get to fedex sue to job restrains/busy circumstance. I know a lot of people give it 2 - 3 months and that seems excessive but i would let someone make good and if they hadnt within 2 weeks then its pretty clear.

8. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Can you see via this persons profile whether or not they have been lurking or posting things? If they have been active and he/she is not responding to BM you have an issue I think. If no activity then you still may have an issue, but you could lean toward life happens stuff. Give it a little more time.

BobZ and Irishace9 like this.
  9. uhm, you've not yet reached the bad trader threshold.

funhog and Gosox8787 like this.
  10. black13

black13 Savant (395) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

Lots of gray area here. Some say call people out ASAP, others say it's only beer and give it time. Before you decide to call someone out this early, make sure they've been logging in. People sometimes go a day or two without logging in. Also, has he read your most recent BM?

Send a BM letting the trader know your getting a little concerned as there hasn't been any communication. If they respond, all is well. If they read it and don't respond in say 24hrs, send them another BM saying you need some communicaton/confirmation that a box has been sent or you'll start a thread letting everyone know they're a bad trader. Life does come up, but it's not always so tragic that they can't take 15 seconds to send a BM saying what's going on.

Also, keep everyone up to date on this thread as it's nice to let others know the outcome.

MADhombrewer and biglobo8971 like this.
  11. Still waiting for the back end of that Krunkles trade...

Never had to make a post given all the other people he pissed off.

cavedave and robwestcott like this.
  12. You can check when a person made there last post by clicking there profile pic, then clicking on the number of messages I think.

13. My experience trading through this site has been nothing but superbly positive. I hope things work out for the OP. Keep us posted.

BobZ and tectactoe like this.
  14. Irishace9

15. Irishace9

I agree. I have quite a few trades in the recent months and couldn't be happier with the generosity people have shown me with add ons etc...I will givevit some more time and hope for the best. I'll keep you guys posted and if it doesn't turn out I will certainly let you all know who it is.

16. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Keep in mind that people have a lot going on their lives and it likely doesn't revolve around trading beer on the internet. I recently took a lot longer than I expected to fulfill my part of a trade and there was never any danger of me not fulfilling my end of the bargain.

17. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Did you communicate the delay (and reason for the delay) to your trading partner? The lack of communication, not the delay in and of itself, is what makes a bad trader. Most people are understanding that more important things in life sometimes get in the way of beer trading, and with proper communication, all will be copacetic.

BobZ, DrAwkward82, ant880 and 4 others like this.
  18. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

What the

robwestcott and claaark13 like this.
  19. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

Just because this is the internet does not mean a commitment here is any less valid than anywhere else.

If you are that busy do not trade.

SirWilliam, ant880, Irishace9 and 3 others like this.
  20. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

So your time and expedient effort are more valuable than your trade partner's? There's something to be said for common courtesy.

21. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Assuming your box didn't just land today or yesterday......

I agree with Photekut. I have had a number of people in the past (and 2 in the present) send me boxes before I sent them their boxes, for a number of reasons (my timing, their timing, convenience, tasting coming up, etc.). No matter what happens, I make sure that I keep an open communication with them. "Hey, got your box, everything arrived without issue, still planning to ship _____", or "Thanks, everything arrived safely. I'm waiting on ______ bottle(s) and I'll have yours out right after that", or "Hey man, how's it going? Blah blah blah story about my life you don't care about blah blah blah I still am working on your box blah blah blah."

All it takes is sub-5 minutes to log onto BA and let someone know what's going on. It isn't like deciphering the mystery of what happens within the singularity point of a black hole.

FTowne, luwak, xxcarpxx and 3 others like this.
  22. Preluderl

That obviously wasn't what I meant, think you're being a little overly sensitive there.

I was responsive to him and communicated the entire time. My point was that not everyone is sitting by the door waiting for a package to arrive. People should keep that in mind and show some patience, that's all.

23. Irishace9

That's my point. I have communicated the whole time with content tracking number etc...All of his communication stopped once I sent him the shipping info on Wednesday. I don't need it to be on my doorstep in the morning I need him to reassure he is still holding up his end of the bargain.

24. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (355) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

i say burn down his trailer and call uncle Veto to break his kneecaps :)
    how is the communication? i would say a few weeks...... then send Uncle Veto to his house
    no communication is bad ........ beat it out of him :)

xxcarpxx likes this.
  25. Preluderl

And that's totally reasonable. My intent was never to say you were at all in the wrong. I was simply saying that some people on here seem as though their lives revolve around this and that's not the case for many. Sometimes, life gets in the way of the best of intentions.

26. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

Come on man, I think you're better than this post. Two thumbs down... It Stinks!

27. dude. you're looking to "bad trader" alert this guy after 2 days ? seriously ? ISO: no trading with irishace9

28. Irishace9

Every reply was within minutes of mine until my message of the tracking number and then nothing which made me suspicious. My post was asking how long I should wait before outing someone in an attempt to not make a rash decision. By the way it's been 3 days. ISO: someone to teach robwestcott how to read and count.

29. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

I dunno man, I did get a lot of likes for it.

Gotta catch the sarcasm. :)

MinorThreat likes this.
  30. blvdlvr

blvdlvr Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2012

oldp0rt likes this.
  31. ohhhhhh. ok. now I understand. let me revise my answer;

wait 4 days, then get that bad trader thread going ! that sounds jus' about right. I'm not sure why you started this thread in the first place. ISO: finding out who this bad trader is as soon as possible !

jojomdma definitely never would've traded krunkles with you.

32. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I just want to know when Mongo officially gets the BA octagon set up.

33. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Did your shipper confirm box arrived, and did they list it as left on doorstep, or received by man/woman? Did he send confirmation of receiving your box? If not, did you send a message to him asking him if he received it and all arrived intact? Has he read your messages? Does he/she have a list of references?

OP, I can't stress enough how important it is to confirm the references/reliability of those we trade with. For instance, with your few references and late 2012 join date, and a few other things I notice about you, I might ask you to send first.

And just so you know not everyone gives as much slack as many here advise doing. Two days indeed is a bit short of time to really worry. Five days, though, send notice he has X amount of time to contact you before you start a thread titled "Possible Bad Trader". Then if he doesn't respond, start the thread without naming him, inform him again, give him XS amount of time. If still no response, name him, and give him a final chance to make good, then send all info to OldPort and the bad trader list.

34. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

Timing is everything. Second post in the thread without knowing everything? Not great. But I also quoted The Critic, so I think that should speak to my level of disdain

abecall98 likes this.
  35. Irishace9

As someone who has been trading for less than a year I just wanted some honest opinions. No reason to to be a condescending beer snob.

brock125 likes this.
  36. You call that 'a lot' of likes? Levitation gets that many before completing his sentence. <add wink> /Sarcasm

abecall98 likes this.
  37. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

So you just shipped on Wednesday? Which means he probably hasnt even received the box yet, right? I'd be patient. Between Wednesday and today there is certainly a lot that could have happened to make him go dark. Have you seen him otherwise active on the site since then?

I know it sucks to sit and wait for a response, but some people seem to just go silent sometimes when there isnt something specific to mention. I'd wait at least until the box arrives, then if I havent heard something within a day or 2 of that, then I'd start to get worried.

Irishace9 likes this.
  38. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

You received most of the bottles he sent, and he hasn't received anything from you yet, and you're thinking about outing him as a bad trader?

I like the cut of your jib.

39. and yet, instead of asking a question in the thread title, you simply called it, "bad trader."

this is the "i'm not racist, but..." approach to making bad trader threads.

near as i can tell, you shipped 3? 4? days ago and he hasn't responded since. a few things you left out: how many bm's have you sent? how many times has he logged on? has he read them? is he an established trader? was there a specific agreement to ship at the same time? i could see someone with a few years of history having the implicit assumption that you will ship first, and once your box lands, he will ship his.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.