1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Balcones Whiskey....Calling all Texans

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by antlerwrestler19, Apr 6, 2012.

1. I posted this in the homebrew forum with a lot of views but no responses. Being that is distilled in Texas I figured I'd give it a go in this forum so, here it goes....

My father and I ordered some whiskey barrels awhile back through a local homebrew club and we finally received them yesterday. My dad couldn't remember what type of barrels he had purchased so I had no idea how to base a recipe off the spirit that previously inhabited the barrels. Upon receiving I find that I have two different 6-gallon oak barrels -
    one of which contained this: http://www.balconesdistilling.com/babyblue
    and the other contained this: http://www.balconesdistilling.com/rumble

My question for you folks is, has anyone had either of these spirits? Brewed beer/had beer that was aged beer in the barrels? Or have any experience whatsoever with barrels of the like?

I'm trying to think of what styles would match well with the flavor profiles described within each link and I'd like to hear some creative ideas so dump them here!

Thanks,

Kyle

2. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

yes I have these as well.
    I ran a 10% imperial stout through the babyblue a couple times, then did a 13.5% barleywine in the same ones for the 3rd run. came out amazing! espcially after about 8 months of age (in the keg not the barrel)
    I have a few friends that have done barleywines in the rumbles. to me it sweetens the BW quite a bit so keep that in mind. First I would by some cheap whiskey/rum and put about a gallon in each respectively. 1gal whiskey in BB barrel and 1gal rum in the rumble. rotate every other day to make sure you coat all sides of the barrel. (Dont forget the tops and bottoms) then after a week or 2 take a funnel and pour the liquid back in to the bottle. you will lose some to evap. then immediate use them as your secondary fermenter for your beers. I would also purge the barrels with co2 first before pouring the beer in. helps reduce the amount of oxidation you will get. hope this helps

3. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (380) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Dumptruck got dump for you...

Haven't had either one. I think the rumble might go really well with an imperial pumpkin stout.

The baby blue seems like pretty standard whiskey so I'd think you could put any typical style in it. I really liked rahr and sons BB winter water but had mostly vanilla from the oak and not much bourbon to it. Maybe I'm off here but a peppered porter/stout?

4. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (660) Texas Jul 14, 2009

texasclimber and I each two weeks ago brewed a beer to put in blue corn whiskey barrel. We will be blending a Belgian strong dark ale and an American strong ale. The blue corn whiskey is pretty sweet, I think a barley wine would stand up to it. Out of curiosity how much do their barrels run for?

ElkSherpa likes this.
  5. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Ive had some of the Balcones Whiskey and love BA stuff so when you get er done, ill be up for tasting some!