1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bale Breaker (Yakima, WA)

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Lordkrystic, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Anyone on Washingtons Eastside try these guys? Saw they just finished their first batch at the new brewery. Was blown away by their fresh hop imperial IPA at Yakima's Fresh Hop Fest and am wondering if everything else is as good.

2. Can't wait for them to start canning.

whiskey and Lordkrystic like this.
  3. I think they said on facebook that they are planning on opening in March. I can't wait, since they are about a 5 minute drive from my sister's house. Perfect excuse to visit my nephew :)

Lordkrystic likes this.
  4. Lordkrystic

Talked to their main sales guy today, just draft until late spring....no real west side distro to start. They are going to start pouring in mid march. Excited!

5. Lordkrystic

Hehe, I've been to Cascade all three times I've been down to see my 3 month old niece...seeing the niece is an awesome "reason" to go to Portland.

6. Lordkrystic

I do have to say, I've turned the whole family on to sours and everyone loves to go now....that the baby can be there in the carrier is gravy.

KiMiRaiK likes this.
  7. If anyone is interested in checking these guys out, their taproom grand opening is next Saturday, April 13th. Can't wait to get back over there so I can check out the space.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  8. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I just checked out their website and wow, what a facility! Not many new breweries get to start out like that.

9. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

And I'd venture to guess that places like Reuben's Brews paid/borrowed about as much for their relatively tiny breweries in the middle of Seattle.

Looks like a great facility in a beautiful location. Road trip Sunnyside!

10. Reuben's took advantage of Kickstarter, which seems to have worked out very well for them!

11. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Thanks. I just learned about something new, and it's not even 9 a.m. Time to clock out and go have a beer.

12. leedorham

I've been meaning to also hit up Snipes Mountain one of these days. Looks like about a half hour drive between them.

Lazerlobe likes this.
  13. Snipes is a nice place to have lunch and some beers. There is another brewery between there and the TriCities, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it.

14. leedorham

15. VMMerkt

VMMerkt Aspirant (40) Washington Jun 4, 2012

Grand Opening 4-13-13!

Lordkrystic and barleywinefiend like this.
  16. How much/what all do you suppose that 10 G paid for?

17. Anyone rolling out there for Saturday?

SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  18. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

I was able to try Bale Breakers Field 41 PA and their Topcutter IPA on tap at a distributors tasting last night.

That Field 41 pale ale was incredible. It blows the doors off any true PA I've had(it comes in at 4.5% so I'm not comparing to stuff like ZD). Their Topcutter was excellent too.

They seemed to be the hit of the event and seemed really friendly and humble. This would no doubt be my go to session beer if I can get me hands on it.

KiMiRaiK and beefandbean22 like this.
  19. leedorham

Drop Derek a line and let him know you liked it. He needs to have a few more low ABV offerings on tap.

20. whiskey

He was there. He's all over it. :)

leedorham likes this.
  21. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I just submitted it to the Places listing here. I'm going to talk to a couple of local bar owners, and see if we can't sweet talk them into getting us a taste up here in the 'Ham!

22. whiskey

Back off beertunes, can't you just let Spokizee have something nice first????

http://www.craftcans.com/fresh-off-the-hop-farmq-and-a-with-bale-breaker-brewing

23. beertunes

Hey! I'm not in Seatthole! It's just that I know a couple bar owners, and a bottle shop owner, who aren't afraid to take a road trip to grab some beer. That's how the Green Frog was the first place in WA to pour Boneyard. James and I went to a Steve Earle show in Bend, and I was like, "dude we're here, we should take some brew home". Let's Race!

And, how come one of you drysiders hadn't entered it into the data base:p?

whiskey likes this.
  24. whiskey

Yeah, you're on the coast so it's pretty much just Seattle North. ;)

And being in Bellingham, you probably have '10 Ivan the Terrible and '11 Abominable still sitting on shelves!

I'm just kidding anyhow, I would definitely be stoked to get this distributed here, their PA would be the perfect keg for the lake house this summer.

25. beertunes

OK, let's make a deal, you keep Bale Breaker, but you send B'Ham Selkirk Abbey. Totally fair.:cool: Brokane don't like no Belgians anyway, right?

26. whiskey

Sure. But they're in Idaho. But for the sake of full disclosure, I'm pretty sure they age all their beers in elk hide line barrels.

beertunes likes this.
  27. leedorham

They also won't let you mix White with St. Thomas.

beertunes likes this.
  28. Anyone spot BB in western WA yet?

29. Lordkrystic

Won't see it for awhile. Having a hard enough time keeping their two eastside and northern Idaho distributors in beer. Went through their first months projections in a week. Maybe around June first they say.

30. whiskey

Do you know when cans will hit Spokane?

31. Lordkrystic

No idea at all.

32. whiskey

I hear their pale ale is going on at Pints is Spokane in the next couple days.

33. beertunes

Just finished a pint of the Field 41 Pale Ale. Very bright hops, low malt profile. There's a growler of the IPA nearby, I'm going in!

34. Where'd you find them?

35. beertunes

I challenged James, the owner of the Green Frog, to make a road trip. He did. Brought back a growler of each. I just finished my review of the IPA (fairly typical, but solid and enjoyable), but that Field 41 was a hit. We shared it with a few other regulars and everyone was impressed. I can't wait until we start getting cans, it'll match up with Ft. George OPA as my outdoor activity brews. F41 is kinda bad-ass.

36. Lordkrystic

Had three growlers dropped on me yesterday. The 41 was the bomb. Others to be consumed late today.

libbey, barleywinefiend and beertunes like this.
  37. whiskey

There IPA is good, but that pale ale is fantastic for such low ABV.

Lordkrystic and beertunes like this.
  38. whiskey

Cans came in about a week ago to a local grocery store. The F41 was sold out in a day, the Topcutter in 2 or 3. They were $9.29 a six pack. A hair on the high end for a session beer but it's definitely good stuff.

I have to buy a few cases of a session beer for a lake house trip coming in July, Field 41 may be it.

beertunes likes this.
  39. To quote Johnny Rotten; "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

40. leedorham

Had both Field 41 & Topcutter now (both on tap at Pint's) and give them a solid thumbs up. Excited to see what they do in the future.

beertunes likes this.