1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ballantine "India Pale Ale"... who remembers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by diesel59, Mar 12, 2012.

1. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

Boy, i sure do miss this stuff... my first ipa... it always got me where i wanted to be in a hurry....
    Bitterbill likes this.
  2. Are you old enough to have drank it when it was brewed in Newark NJ?
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I have an empty bottle left.
    gatornation likes this.
  4. diesel59

no... when did they close that brewery..... early 70s?
  5. I drank it (from the Newark brewery) many years ago but it was so different from anything else I'd ever had that I didn't really like it - even though I loved the regular Ballantine Ale. Now, IPA's are my favorite style - sure wish I could sample the old Ballantine IPA again and see what I'd now think about it.
  6. I had it in the '75 ish timeframe. It was no longer from Newark, but still there was nothing like it in those days.
  7. Bitterbill

May 1972, I think.
  8. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

This thread title is akin to firing up the bat signal over Gotham City.

Paging Jesskidden!

::: Pulls up Stool :::
  9. diesel59

wwwhhhaaatttt????????????????
  10. You are new here, correct? Jesskidden will have some statements that will educate all of us on Ballantine IPA. He has a page that has brewry history. If I don't have it bookmarked I should!
  11. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

Ballantine produced an authentic India pale ale, made from a recipe used in the nineteenth century in England for beer sent to the military forces in India.
    Since this beer had to travel for many months on a sailing vessel in equatorial waters, it had to be long brewed and long aged for four to five months, otherwise its contents would perish before reaching the thirsty consumers.
    The IPA still remains the subject of various chat rooms on the web and is sadly missed.
    It was probably one of the best and most unique beers brewed in America.
    [​IMG]
  12. I actually used to see it on the shelves (early 80s, so probably not the real glory days, but still...) and passed it over, thinking of it as an 'old man's beer'. On my list of regrets that's probably not a real biggie, but it's there. By the end of the decade I was starting to get plugged into the homebrewing community and hearing about it, but by then it was too late.
    kemoarps likes this.
  13. Bitterbill

Yep, I had it when it was in Falstaff's capable hands, from the Ft Wayne brewery in Indiana. Dummied down from what the original must have been like but still ever so good.
  14. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

15. drtth

drtth Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Jesskidden remembers. He also once suggested that if you want to come close to tasting it again, mix a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot with an equal portion of Sierra Nevada Celebration. At least one BA who tried it thought his suggestion hit the mark.
    dennis3951 and Chaz like this.
  16. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

That sounds really tasty.
    kemoarps likes this.
  17. What is occurring here? Excessive flatulence?
    KevSal and paulys55 like this.
  18. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I think he is tooting while trying to open a bottle. Reminds me why my girlfriend is always asking me to "get a fucking bottle opener".
  19. valdieu2

valdieu2 Savant (320) Maine Feb 23, 2012

Boy, I had more than a few of these. I have no idea if it would have any interest today but back in the day, if you were an ale drinker, it was the balls. More than one headache from Bally IPA. I think I've got some empties out in the garage.
  20. I remember it though by the time I had it in the early 80s it had lost a fair amount of its character given the brewery carousel it was on. And to be fair I probably 'just didn't get it' for that reason and the fact I was a bit of a beer virgin at the time.
  21. I drank alot of it in the late 60's early 70's,even had it on draft, it was some real good beer back then ..........
    YamBag likes this.
  22. I think I had it once....second hand....while I was in the womb.
    kemoarps and KevSal like this.
  23. valdieu2

valdieu2 Savant (320) Maine Feb 23, 2012

I may have bought that for her.
  24. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

How'd you work Comic Sans???
  25. BOBPINCH666

A+!
  26. JoeyBeerBelly

copy and paste
  27. BOBPINCH666

Pliny the Elder

Spanks, Joey!
  28. JoeyBeerBelly

No problem spike!
  29. BJC

BJC Aficionado (230) New Jersey Nov 9, 2002

My father bought me a six-pack in 1973 soon after the drinking age changed in New Jersey. It may have been brewed in Newark. Maybe not. I thought it was horrible. What does a 19-year old know.

In the late 70's, I rediscovered it and thoroughly enjoyed through the early 80's. The Rhode Island version was very good, the Indiana version was good. The less said the better about its subsequent decline.

A proper restoration of the Ballantine ales, porter and stout would be welcomed.
  30. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

31. Nice, never saw it on tap and all my research over the years and talking to former employees, etc., I'd come to conclusion that they didn't keg the IPA after the 1940's-50's. I've got 1930's and 1940's material in which they mention its availability in ¼ and ½ barrel kegs but nothing beyond that era on price sheets, etc. The NJ state price list page for BIPA didn't list it by 1964 (7 and 12 oz. deposit bottles only by the then) and I always just figured, if it wasn't available at home in NJ they didn't offer draught anymore. Have never seen a BIPA tap handle from the later era, either, now that I think about it.
  32. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

Knew Jess wouldn't let me down...

::: Picks up stool and moves on :::
  33. azorie

I know we chatting about this before, but 1972 was last year it was bottled right? or did Falstaff make it after 1972? you got the link for the book correction web site? oxford book. With all the old forum messages gone i lost all that info. sorry.
  34. Last year for the Newark-brewed P. Ballantine & Sons version.

Falstaff/Pabst continued to brew and bottle it (Cranston RI > Ft. Wayne, IN > Milwaukee, WI) up to 1996, when S&P closed the home Pabst brewery. In 12 oz. throw-aways of several different bottle styles only (AFAIK).
  35. azorie

ok the original IPA was made until 1996? or how did it change in that period?
  36. Well, what do you mean by "original"? The "Ballantine India Pale Ale" brand/label itself lasted until then, but the recipe/aging time, etc., changed frequently during the Falstaff/Pabst era.
  37. azorie

yea I read that link , but I know you had the beer many many times. I just wondered how it changed over the period from 1972 to 1996, abv go down, less hoppy etc......
  38. Try here - Ballantine beer specifications
  39. gory4d

gory4d Savant (475) New York Apr 14, 2007

I got my hands on a bottle of the original beer, brewed in Newark, a few years ago. It drank remarkably well for a beer around 40 years old. I could see that it must've been a great beer in its prime.