1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ballast Point Bottling dates

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, Jan 23, 2013.

1. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

I have a Sculpin that has a "best before" of "2/03/13". Is it bottled 3 months before like Stone or 6 months like Deschutes?

2. Sculpin is 4 months. Not sure if all of their beers are the same or not.

3. raynmoon

AHHH! I can seriously never find a fresh bottle of Sculpin. They really need to bring down the price so they can fly off the shelves and stay fresher. The whole Best By thing is a load of malarky.

4. raynmoon

It tastes fine, but you can tell it has lost enough hop presence to allow a tinge of alcohol bitterness and malt backbone. ​
    This is one of those beers that you buy and it is amazing one time, and just OK the next because of the piss-poor bottling/ price method.​
    I should just move to Escondido ;). ​

jrnyc and jglowe77 like this.
  5. I quit buying sculpin after three bad batches. First was not dated but others were. Tap it has always been amazing. Bottle is too much $ and not good.

Enjoy

6. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

I heard raves about Sculpin and bought a bottle and thought it was okay. Then I deciphered the date code and realized I had a fairly old bottle, well past the best by date even. Went back to the store and they were all like that. I always check when I go there and it's always the same old stuff. I look forward to trying a much fresher one.