1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ballast Point Bottling dates

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, Jan 23, 2013.

1. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

I have a Sculpin that has a "best before" of "2/03/13". Is it bottled 3 months before like Stone or 6 months like Deschutes?
  2. Sculpin is 4 months. Not sure if all of their beers are the same or not.
  3. raynmoon

AHHH! I can seriously never find a fresh bottle of Sculpin. They really need to bring down the price so they can fly off the shelves and stay fresher. The whole Best By thing is a load of malarky.
  4. raynmoon

It tastes fine, but you can tell it has lost enough hop presence to allow a tinge of alcohol bitterness and malt backbone. ​
    This is one of those beers that you buy and it is amazing one time, and just OK the next because of the piss-poor bottling/ price method.​
    I should just move to Escondido ;). ​
    jrnyc and jglowe77 like this.
  5. I quit buying sculpin after three bad batches. First was not dated but others were. Tap it has always been amazing. Bottle is too much $ and not good.

Enjoy
  6. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

I heard raves about Sculpin and bought a bottle and thought it was okay. Then I deciphered the date code and realized I had a fairly old bottle, well past the best by date even. Went back to the store and they were all like that. I always check when I go there and it's always the same old stuff. I look forward to trying a much fresher one.