1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ballast Point in Austin

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by DamianX13, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Got bottles at whip in just now, wish I knew e1g had six packs, looks like I'll stop in tomorrow if any is left
  2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Prices?

I wanna hear the hurt for a 6-pack of Sculpin. :)
  3. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Since we know Whip-In broke 4 packs of Hoptimum and sold singles at a highly inflated price...I can only imagine
  4. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (465) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I know this is the Austin thread, but if anyone could enlighten me on the timeline to Houston I would greatly appreciate it. Would love to get me some VaS!
  5. utx05

utx05 Disciple (60) Dec 11, 2012

About $16 at E1G. They've always priced very fairly (on par with CM/Specs), so I can't imagine what Whip In would sell them at.
  6. Lutter

I'll be over at Pinthouse Pizza at around 6:45-7:00... I just want a pint of Sculpin, VAS, and potential swag. :)
  7. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

These bottles of Sculpin have a drink by date of May 4, 2013. I've read that it is a 4 month shelf life so these were bottled on Friday. Not too shabby!
  8. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Savant (490) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Is anyone heading up from San Antonio or coming down from Austin? Could someone mule me one or two? I live right offof IH35, so it wouldnt be a big detour. Lazy I know, but I'm on a leash at the moment (I have newborns at home). BM me if there are any takers, thanks in advance.
  9. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (355) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Sculpin is pretty damn good. Finally a professional brewing co that puts a lot of citra in the flavor additions.

Victory at sea is also killer. Now we have 3 solid coffee stouts in the last few months. Lips of faith, sputnik, and victory at sea.
  10. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Might happen this weekend. If so, I'll let you know
  11. starkmarvelo

Much appreciated, Sir.
  12. Lutter

Got some schwag at the BP launch party:

[​IMG]

Also: E1G is NOT fucking around with their Ballast Point selection:

[​IMG]
  13. acbe

acbe Savant (285) Texas Jul 23, 2011

lulz, my photo

[​IMG]
  14. Lutter

LOL. Did I just miss you or something? I was just there like 30 minutes ago.
  15. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

Lutter, looks like you were there 10 minutes after I was. I grabbed that 6er of Sculpin off the front left side.
  16. Chuk_Hell

BTW, there's another launch party tomorrow at Black Sheep Lodge. 7pm. I might check that out.
  17. Lutter

Oh, I stopped at Whip In after E1G... prices were $6.99/$8.99/$10.99 IE: EVERYTHINGELSE/SCULPIN/VICTORY for bombers.

Funny enough... they were completely out of Victory and Sculpin.

I did pick up the last Dissident for a lucky trading partner in Houston (which was what I was there for). I'd say who that is, but you crazy Houstonites would probably beat his door down for it. :)

I also think I found the last Funk Metal in town (at least in Austin proper) at Twin Liquors Marketplace downtown.

I'm a troll today.
  18. acbe

acbe Savant (285) Texas Jul 23, 2011

I was there around 7. Guess they weren't moving as fast as I thought they would.
  19. lokieman

Anybody know if any BA VaS will make it here...or how abundant the BA version is?
  20. RaychulBot

RaychulBot Initiate (20) Dec 6, 2012

Hey, dudes, I have bombers and 6pks here at Whole Foods Gateway. Bombers are $4.69, excepting the Sculpin, $8.49. Six packs are $9.99. Come see me!
  21. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I hate to say this, but it's not really all that great. I'll get pounced on, but as an IPA guy, it's middling and definitely not worth what they charge for it.

Also I saw mentioned 4 month shelf life. As we all know, with IPAs this is hardly the case. It's their attempt to be able to ship less product and have less waste. Sculpin doesn't last long.
  22. You're so wrong about that - we moved 11cases within the 1st 5hrs...

I knew If I get this on the release day - y'all would make your way to E1G and I made sure to order enough (10 sculpin,5 VAS & 2 each of others) now we r down to 2 sculpin and a little over a case of VaS ;)...

Thank y'all
    Sam.
  23. utx05

utx05 Disciple (60) Dec 11, 2012

Yup. Didn't budge when I got Whip In's tweet because I saw no point in taking a price gouging for something that'll soon be all over town. Y'all always price on par with CM and Specs, so headed over once y'all posted.

BTW, y'all have been on a roll lately - hopefully it'll keep going with the Abyss.
  24. videofrog

videofrog Savant (470) Texas Nov 13, 2010

Saw Victory at Sea along with other BP offerings at CM Westgate last night. Plenty of Das Uberkind and Rye on Rye as well.
  25. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

It sucks being stuck in the wasteland between Dallas and Austin. I'll load up on BP as soon as I can! I'd like an Uberkind too!
  26. lokieman

Whatever...haven't heard of any Racer X growler fills or BA Ten Fidy on tap around my neck of the woods
    ThirdEyePA likes this.
  27. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Racer X was pretty easy to track down in Houston. BA Ten Fidy on the other hand...
  28. Lutter

BA Ten Fidy sounds orgasmic.
  29. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

BP beers should be available in San Marcos soon. I think I may have to make regular visits to my colleagues up there.
  30. starkmarvelo

Hell yeah! If you don't want to make the drive, let me know what you want. I'm up there at least once a week.
  31. ThirdEyePA

That was a special exception! Haha. But, really there are no good beer stores around Waco aside from the Specs in Temple, and that's still 25 miles down I-35. So other than that Specs, there is nothing within 100 miles. I think the next closest is Specs in Round Rock.
  32. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Aficionado (220) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Well no Ballast Point at the Beaumont Specs as of today. I guess I'll have to plan a trip to Houston soon...
  33. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

I heard conflicting reports from Specs...one saying in the near future they'll start distributing. The other, its a one-time thing.
  34. turfy

turfy Savant (340) Texas Mar 17, 2010

My son in Austin, aka the 'Mule' , is trying to bring me a growler of Sculpin this weekend. I see where Draught House has it listed as of today. Any other places in town with Sculpin that does growler fills?
  35. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

HomeField Grill in Round Rock is doing buy the beer, keep the glass with Sculpin tonight!
  36. ThirdEyePA

So are the Specs keeping Ballast Point in regular stock? Or has everything sold out and waiting on another shipment? I might be going to Austin this weekend and picking up some Ballast Point might be one of the things to decide whether or not to make the trip.
  37. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (355) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I'd think you should be able to find it. I picked up a sixer of sculpin tonight. You may have to track it down but there's so many beers coming out right now that I don't think it will disappear as fast. You may have to call a few stores to make sure they have it but there are so many bottle shops that somebody's bound to have it.
    ThirdEyePA likes this.
  38. Specs Brodie has a pretty large stock of Ballast Point as of tonight.
    ThirdEyePA likes this.
  39. ThirdEyePA

Nice, thanks for the tips fellas!
  40. Chuk_Hell

The Sculpin 6pks that showed up today has a 5-14-13 enjoy by date. 120 days out.... not sure of exact math but I think that's pretty dang fresh. Bottled a week to 10 days ago?

So far I'm impressed. The question is, can they keep stock rotated and not over-order once demand dies down?