1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ballast point & Karl Strauss @ Dans

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by buddyau, May 26, 2012.

1. buddyau

buddyau Initiate (0) Australia Feb 16, 2009

Hi Guys

They had Karl Strauss red trolley and tower 10 IPA for $17.99 a 6 pack

Ballast Point Big eye IPA also for $17.99

All 3 look good on BA.

Any thoughts?

Are they a grey import?
  2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I was waiting for this. Now to write my letter to Ballast Point, to tell them I don't want to drink their beer in such horrible condition from Woolworths.
  3. GrahamYallop

GrahamYallop Aspirant (35) May 26, 2012

Well I'll be writing to them to say thank you for making their beers available cheaply in such an accessible big store retailer.

I find this whole thing of Dannos having badly shelved beers becoming less and less true. Well, to put it in another perspective you are just as likely to find a bad beer in platinum liquor just as you are in dannos. Probably because they're making small strides in getting the public to try craft, so turnover is increasing, resulting in fresher stock that don't last for months in shelves. I just saw a craft beer guide at the checkout of my local dannos. I saw a tasting corner where some shoppers were sampling german and belgian beers for free.

And the best part of it all is the beers are way cheaper than your independents and smaller distributors like platinum or chamber cellars or porters liquors. Actually, I find that former are the ones retailing with ripoff prices. Dannos pricing is somewhere in the middle of them and cheap avenues like online.
  4. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

I'll leave out the politics and just comment on the beer. Big Eye was one of the first ipas I ever tried and I still remember it fondly. Amazing citrus character. That price is almost too good to believe.
  5. Met the Sales Guy from Ballast Point at thier tap room a few weeks ago and the Karl Straus MD and all are legit direct imports and reasonably fresh it seems. Had the KS beer on friday and it was in good condition.

The Ballast Point Big Eye is their biggest selling beer, but I dug the Sculptin. Have a bottle of their Imperial Stout to know over this weekend, sweet goodness.

Amazing for the Karl Strauss beer, even at $17 and 7% it is cheaper than other locals ...just saying ...
  6. Will check it out but prefer to give my money to independents for a variety of reasons (this extends to groceries, cds etc). I do agree however that we pay too much for beer here though given I can afford to indulge, the pricing doesn't concern me that much.
  7. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

/me heads out to Dan Murphy's ASAP

Wow that's amazing

a lot more excited for Big Eye IPA than those Karl Strauss beers with average ratings though
  8. Kimbo83

Kimbo83 Disciple (60) Australia Dec 9, 2009

Does anybody know if they have been bought over as exclusive products for woolworths, or will all shops be stocking them?
  9. I think they bought in a container direct, Dan at Innspire would be a likely target if anyone else was to bring in ...
  10. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

a 98%ile IPA for 18bucks a six pack sound good to me
  11. Lukie

Woolworths have a contract with them. They are only going to bringing over 2 of the beers.
  12. sirob

sirob Aficionado (170) Australia May 30, 2007

Bought 6 pack of big eye, Stupid me. As soon as the lid was popped on first one it was obviously well beyond best condition. Tasting confirmed the same, battled through one and chucked the rest in the bin.

Basically the dark strong beers from the US stack up on these shores but the rest are drain pours when they arrive. Only exceptions to that in my experience, Monk US Beer week kegs and torpedo when it first arrived but not lately.
  13. Lukie

Depends on refrigeration I guess. Everything from the US (through independent importers) is being refrigerated into the country, which is the most important thing. Hitting the equator in non-refrigerated containers, beer is subject to around 50C degrees at the height of it.

Of course how it is dealt with after it leaves the suppliers/warehouses etc. is another ballgame.

I am finding a few craft breweries over here are getting keen on refrigeration across the nullabor, and it looks rather cost effective.
  14. danieelol

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_702625/brewdog-sink-the-bismarck-ipa

lol. value.

What...really?

I have had many excellent IPAs from the US, both white and grey market. Some taste terrible though. I hope Big Eye is the former.
  15. I'm a little skeptical about this. Container transport is fast. I've had a (grey) beer in Australia less than 6 weeks after release in the US (Bear/ Fathead/Stone's TBA). I see low value fruit and veg from the North. I know that oceans have a moderating effect on temperature and that large masses of stuff (like the contents of container ships) take a while to warm up. And I see
    current sea temperatures (nowhere is above 32C). I'm not convinced that the ocean voyage is warming the beer to more than the 25C it'd see in a typical bottlo, truck or warehouse for more than a day or two.

[Editedto add] Leaving the supplier/ warehouse is indeed another ballgame.
  16. Lukie

That is what I have always been told, which is why Sierra Nevada flat out refused to send their beer in shipping containers more then 14 degrees.

Anyway, looks like Big Eye is cheap because Best Before is June 2012.
  17. I had a bottle last week that was pretty good. It was offered up by a friend though. I just bought one and noticed the BB date as well. June 27 2012 is pretty rough. Does that mean the shipment is more than a year old or do they just suggest the best before?
  18. The best before on Ballast Point is only 6 months.

Anyone seen Big Eye in Melbourne yet?
  19. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Out of interest: what's a good, bottle-dated, year-round Australian IPA that i can hunt down?
  20. MrKennedy: Doesn't exist. Barely any Australian brewers date their bottles. Internationally there are heaps of bottled dated, excellent IPA's.

Sirob: I seriously disagree that things like the Green Flash or Bear Republic stuff have been 'drain pours'. Have mostly tasted very fresh...
  21. danieelol

They had to grab a six-pack of it from out the back of Dan's, but it's in my possession. Let's see if this is drainpour worthy...
  22. danieelol

Uh this is pretty awesome. I have a hard time relating to your story sirob as this is also dated 27 June 2012

I would even say that I probably haven't had any Australian IPAs which are as good as this.
  23. Got mine at Dan Murphy's in the CBD
  24. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (345) Australia Nov 29, 2008

Grabbed some of this from Dan's earlier today, enjoying one now. Even if it has dropped off a bit, and I'd imagine it has, it's still pretty solid.
  25. sanpedro

sanpedro Zealot (90) Australia Sep 26, 2006

Go to Dan's website and you can look up the stock level at each store.

I went to the Dan's on the corner of Princes Hwy and Springvale Rd and they had 38 in stock, but they were not on display they were stored out the back. Amazingly the lady at the counter was concerned that the best before was June and asked me if I still wanted it.

I general avoid Dan's for my beer purchases but this is amazing value.
  26. danieelol

Yer at Dan Murphy's Alexandria I asked the guy and he said he'd never heard of it, I had to tell him it was listed as in stock on their website; then he went out the back to find me some.

I wonder if fresher stock will be coming in subsequently? I thought the turnaround for shipping from the US was generally only about 2 months.
  27. Uncle Dans Castle Hill also had Coronado Orange Avenue - wasn't really planning on a purchase, anyways didn't as the date was illegible.

All the other three were on the shelves, but my cellar is well stocked at present so might wait a while..
  28. tokyobbq

tokyobbq Aspirant (35) Illinois Oct 28, 2011

I wanted to give everyone some factual information on all 3 of the breweries currently at Dan Murphys (Ballast, Karl Strauss, & Coronado).

1) all 3 are officially being imported with the consent of the breweries and are being brought over in REEFER containers and refrigeration is being kept until the store level and some is in the cooler case there
    2) Ballast Point put 120 day best before dates on the bottles currently in stock so the beer is fresh. In the US standard best before dates for IPA are between 120 and 90 days (Stone). However, future bottles in Australia will have a 1 year date because of the market perception that beer should last 1 year.
    3) All products were sent to Australia within 2 weeks of bottling, nothing is old it is all straight from the breweries onto containers.

All beer coming from true US craft breweries into Australia is coming via REEFER and hopefully the days of grey market will come to an end when the consumers realize the quality of legit imports is better and even a better value.
  29. danieelol

I'm not convinced that is the market perception of craft beer in Australia.
  30. GrahamYallop

Just had a conversation with the staff at my local dans.

Its definitely a permanent year round offering. Just couldn't find a spot in their planogram which is why they havent been able to put on shelfs at some dans.

This is big. Thru the months my staple just went from LCPA/knappstein to sierra nevada pale ale/torpedo and now to big eye.

Even Sierra Nevada offering is starting to look like a rip off compared to this.

Kudos to ballast point for this brave move. They can only find success. And a warning to locals (Murray's, Ferals). Better start stocking up your spartacus/icon2/boris on dans before the storm kings and bigfoots of this world get a foothold before you do.
  31. Thanks for that. Got any other further inside information into what we can expect from Dan's as to new US imports? Because I can certainly say that us Aussie BAs really appreciate someone in the 'know' or is able to be in the 'know' and then can relay the info on here...:)
  32. GrahamYallop

Well its not really inside information. I merely talked to some staff!

You know what, the best thing we could do is provide dans and breweries feedback.

I just emailed ballast point to keep up the good work and keep the excellent price point. I emailed dannos to let them know big eye was refrigerated from US to Aus and would be nice if they kept them on fridge instead of shelves.

[email protected]

http://www.ballastpoint.com/contact-and-locations/
    Earl Kight
    Director of Sales [email protected]

Matt Wilson
    Sales Manager [email protected]

Laura Slayter
    Sales, Retail [email protected]

Curt Louret
    Sales, Market manager [email protected]
  33. danieelol

I have a feeling GrahamYallop may work for a large warehousing company
  34. GrahamYallop

Nah mate just a beer fan whose going through the recession our politicians don't recognise but still want readily available, cheap, excellent brew.

What can I say my budget won't let me buy 12 dollar beers at Murray's at Manly or $8 at taphouse anymore. Doesn't mean I can't still enjoy a good brew right? $3 Big Eye is great for me at the moment.
  35. GrahamYallop

Wow I'm really impressed with Ballast Point. They gave a quick response (like 10 minutes after I emailed). Some quick points on the response (I hope the guy doesn't mind me posting these)

- Dannos went to US to tour Ballast Point brewery. That's dedication I think. Certainly against the impression that Dannos management doesn't care about craft espoused around these forums.
    - Ballast Point big eye beers travelled 24 days under 40 degree fahrenheit
    - Its bottled and shipped the next day
    - There's another shipment coming
    - Black Marlin Porter is coming!

See, a simple email and thank you to these guys go a long way.
  36. GrahamYallop

I gave a link to this post and he said they'll try to reply.
  37. Missed out on Big Eye at my local Dan's, will try elsewhere. Always interesting to compare when you've tried something grey.

The Tower 10 in the condition I'm drinking it now and at that price is a big, big winner.
  38. danieelol

If it takes 24 days to get here and it was bottled and shipped the next day does that mean it sat in Dan Murphy's warehouse for an extra 2 months once it got over here? I'm not sure what happened to these missing 2 months.
    hawthorne00 likes this.
  39. May be the same sort of 'distribution' network that causes cases and cases of Mountain Goat to arrive at Vintage Cellars all at once, but a good four months after bottling. :eek:
  40. graham yallop - former aussie captain and president of the rodney hogg fan club?

i've had a similar unexpectedly positive reply from dan's in the past -- nice lady ilhan faye i think her name was, she was very happy to look up DM's database to find me franziskaner kegs back in the days when the website didn't list stock numbers