1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Ballast Point returns to CO

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by nolimitnsb, Jun 7, 2013.

1. quine

quine Savant (270) Colorado Feb 15, 2011

ALL THE SCULPIN

quirkzoo likes this.
  2. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (335) Colorado May 31, 2011

I had a sculpin for the first time about a month ago in Virginia. That was good shit, and I want more. I bet it costs 20% more here than it did there, though.

3. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (685) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Odell IPA > Sculpin, love both, but Odell's is better. Looking forward more to Victory at Sea

Moose90, PDawson, SFACRKnight and 5 others like this.
  4. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (550) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Ballast, I'm excited for this one!!! Victory At Sea and Sculpin!

denver10 likes this.
  5. Wonder what the pricing will be? In my experience Elite tends to take a healthy margin on their west coast and Belgian portfolio...

johncmoore59 likes this.
  6. denver10

denver10 Champion (910) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I am still awaiting the arrival of Prairie up here in Fort Collins. Not sure if I should get excited about this news or expect it to be a tease like Prairie has been

7. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Pretty cool. Last time I don't think we actually even got Sculpin. The only times I've ever seen it here were via trades and tastings.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  8. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (735) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Some fresh Big Eye would be nice and one can dream of getting Dorado though I think that stays in CA.

joshclauss likes this.
  9. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

If it is coming through Elite, don't expect it to be fresh or readily available. And expect them to take a healthy chunk of profits, just like EVERYTHING else in their book.

MinorThreat and drlovemd87 like this.
  10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Its worth driving to the city for.

PDawson likes this.
  11. denver10

Everytime I do drive down to Denver, it is in my plans. But I just never have enough time to end up fitting it in.
    Just happened again yesterday actually.

12. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (425) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

Fingers crossed for VaS .. I love that beer. Luckily I have friends in the BP distro area so I've been able to get some. But it would be nice to not have to pay shipping and worry about breakage.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  13. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (670) Colorado Apr 5, 2012

Still waiting for it in Boulder... Haven't been to the liquor stores as much lately, but the closest I've come is a Prairie and Saint Somewhere collab (SS bottling) at a smaller store. As for Ballast, I'm good with Sea Monster and VaS, bottled IPAs make me weary, especially from out of state. A great example is Deviant Dale's, went from being one of the best beers I've had when at Choppers in Denver to just really good in a two month old can 15 minutes from the brewery.

14. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (685) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

From the sound of it, it's available just few stores are ordering it, I suggest we all hit up our local store beer managers and start requesting it.

joshclauss likes this.
  15. MarkyMOD

Yea I did at Whole Foods, but the guy who orders beer had never heard of Prairie and apparently WF has a long list of requirements when receiving product from a new company. From my experience with them they're somewhere between the gigantic retailers who consider your product being in their store to be advertising for you and thus destroy you with their terms (huge orders, but little if any profit, at least when ordering from a small company) and a small health store that expects slightly reduced shipping. Don't know if it's different with beer ordering, but the guy told me to expect a few months wait, if it happens at all.
    On a side note, people that order beer should really be on these forums, how do you not know about a highly regarded brewery that has been here for a month or two (at the time we spoke), isn't that kind of your job to know?

MYJELLOMISFIT likes this.
  16. denver10

Yeah, that issue of being unaware isn't local to just Boulder. Same deal here in Fort Collins. When I was at Wilbur's I asked their main beer guy about Prairie and he seemed to have a lost look when the name came up (even though they too had that collaboration beer of theirs on the shelf). Then he ended up saying it was an issue with the distributor so wasn't sure when/if it would be coming.

I left confused and unsure of what the deal with Prairie was. End of the day, no store I have visited has it or had any idea about it or when it might become available.

17. CK21

CK21 Aficionado (230) Colorado Feb 6, 2011

The ones that care are.
    Prairie is through Elite, so that may be a whole different animal right now and not readily available to all people that order the beer even when they do order it for their stores.

18. SFACRKnight

After having had a prairie hop and a prairie ale this weekend not only do I stand by my previous statement, but would add bold face itallics and an under line as well...

Its worth driving to the city for.

19. MarkyMOD

Any store with a good size stock of it?

20. MYJELLOMISFIT

The Prairie is coming through Elite and through Shelton Bros. It is pre-order basis only and what we received we ordered at least two months ago. So there is double hoops to jump through. My store sold out. Now we get to sit and wait until Elite does another Shelton Bros. pre-order and then wait again until it shows up. It is a logistical nightmare. Welcome to the new era of craft beer.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  21. SFACRKnight

Last I saw it was at Lukas.

22. Myjellomisfit is from Lukas. Just so no one makes a drive over to find out what they could read in this thread.

23. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (325) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Just one of many reasons to drink local

24. SFACRKnight

I fuckin knew that and still opened my damned mouth.

nolimitnsb and ssteigerwald like this.
  25. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aficionado (230) Colorado Feb 29, 2012

Has any Ballast Point hit the shelves yet. Especially Sculpin?

26. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

why does prairie need to go through shelton brothers to get into elite? seems excessive for a brewer in oklahoma to need shelton brothers at all... no?

27. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Savant (370) Oklahoma Feb 4, 2009

Keep in mind that Prairie is basically a one person company. Shelton Brothers allows us to be in several markets without having to manage or register in each one. We are working to change things as far as beer coming to CO.

28. Latest reports are that it'll hit in August. They're trying to build up a descent pool of beer here before they release it. They don't want to run out quickly and then not have any for a few weeks to a few months.

29. ArrogantB

So its all going to be old? Sounds like a great plan.

30. Hope not...I'm just passing on what I know. I know for a fact that Elite had Ballast Point represented at their tasting event in the end of June so I'm guessing they have a small supply so far. And what you quoted was exactly what I heard from my source.

It certainly would suck to be excited about Sculpin arriving only to find out that it's old...

31. ArrogantB

Doesn't Elite distribute Bear Republic and Green Flash? This sounds like a bummer if they are the ones distributing Ballast Point.

MYJELLOMISFIT likes this.
  32. I agree that it doesn't sound great if they continue the same pattern (as with other beers they distribute).

33. MYJELLOMISFIT

They are. Same distributor who knowingly ships/has shipped out of date beer from BrewDog, Shorts, He'Brew, Flying Dog, Ft. Collins, Green Flash, as well as many others. Also one in the same that seems to ALWAYS be out of stock of Moylan's, Hoppin' Frog, Duchesse, St. Bernardus, Bear Republic, Crazy Mountain, De Proef, He'Brew, Lost Abbey, Port....

34. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aficionado (230) Colorado Feb 29, 2012

Thanks for crushing my dreams.. Getting fresh Racer 5 and WCIPA is impossible.. Guess i should just expect the same for Sculpin

35. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (335) Colorado May 31, 2011

Well, on the bright side, I went to Virginia for a week during the spring and had a 6'er of month old 2-hearted for the first time, as well as a 3 month-old bottle of Sculpin (for the first time), and the Sculpin absolutely destroyed the 2-hearted. I can't believe how pedestrian 2-hearted was; there are a lot of midwest homers out there pumping it up like crazy. I'll definitely get Sculpin from time to time, unless it's beyond the freshness date.

I'm really looking forward to Alesmith and Speedway Stout coming here. Somehow, I don't think it ever will

Jasonrm72 likes this.
  36. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (425) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

I'm not a big IPA fan, but Sculpin is always stellar. If Speedway makes it here, cool, But personally, I find it to be fairly pedestrian, not counting any BA versions.

37. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

You guys are pedestrians.

SuperWhite92 likes this.
  38. Regular Speedway Stout is really good but it's not the best Coffee Stout I've had. (Vietnamese Coffee Speedway Stout on the other hand is amazing!) Still Speedway Stout is $10-12 for a 750ml and is a great value for the money. I see myself buying it a fair amount if we really get it. As much as I'd like to see Ballast Point here, I'd rather have Alesmith any day.

Jasonrm72 and hopfacebrew like this.
  39. StarSlinger

StarSlinger Initiate (5) Jul 12, 2013

I disagree, the vast majority of Elite's beers are well with-in the date range that are on the shelves. Also, do you know Elite's profit margin?