1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ballast Point starting to can.

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Rekrule, Dec 5, 2012.

1. The only thing bad about more breweries canning is that I'm going to have to increase the amount of space and set up a can section next to my empty bottle collection.
  2. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

Dorado in a can?

YES!!

Heady WHO?
    Dan_Bowman, TicoCali and luwak like this.
  3. Have had Sculpin several times...but I cannot help my burning desire for it in a can now.
  4. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (270) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

How long until Victory at Sea gets canned?? :D :D

I would bet money, in 5 years, EVERY craft brewery will can their beers....Only a matter of time.
    JimKal, CreightonSM, luwak and 2 others like this.
  5. Victory at Sea + cans = Best hiking/camping trips ever
  6. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (310) California Feb 4, 2012

Can not wait...
    [​IMG]
    tlh1005, YogiBeer, xxbillay and 17 others like this.
  7. Just saw this on Facebook! CANNOT WAIT!!!!!

Sculpin in a can? BEST CANNED BEER EVER!!!
  8. Now, if only they can figure out how to stamp a date on that thing...
    muchloveforhops3 and fredmugs like this.

9. The 6 pack I just snagged had one stamped on the bottom left of the label. Used to be on the neck.
  10. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (270) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Ballast Point has been dating their beer for a few months now. . . . .
    mikeburd1128 likes this.
  11. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Please put Sculpin in 4-packs or something so that I don't feel gross paying $17/ sixer of bottles.

I know it's just a mental thing, but it's easier for me to swallow paying $10-12/ four-pack than almost $20 for six 12oz bottles of beer.
    mikeburd1128 likes this.
  12. MikeCactusGordon

MikeCactusGordon Savant (490) Ohio Feb 20, 2011

Great news!!

My buddy and I are sick of getting old Bombers in Ohio - we've been bitchin they need to can and the dream came true!!! It's a 30/70 chance Sculpins are old and they run at least $9-11. I've had good luck with the 6 packs being fresh.
  13. SEXY!!!
    skinsfan likes this.
  14. I'll be happy to take your money. Lagunitas has said they will NEVER can their beers.
  15. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (200) California Aug 30, 2007

Agree. While it makes economical sense to can instead of bottle,some breweries will never can because of the stigma that comes with cans. I hope Ballast starts canning some of their rum.
    luwak likes this.
  16. i talked at length with the beer manager at the store i frequent. we both agreed we think it is going that way eventually. i have no problem with it. cans keep beer fresher longer.
    Ford likes this.
  17. yes. so awesome.
  18. Love that more breweries are canning. I hate the sound of bottles clanking.
  19. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Times Six-Hundred & Sixty-Six
  20. I just love seeing this multiple times on here as I scroll down. Beautiful. (Although I think sculpin is a bit overrated. Especially for the price.)
  21. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Better for the environment and recycling, better for cellaring, easier to transport and easier to open. Easy choice but I agree about the stigma and "cool factor". However most BAs will not be phased. It's the same in wine regarding real corks versus synthetic versus screw cap. Screw cap is the best as well as best for the environment but many snobs don't like it. C'est la vie!! Maybe they will then lower their prices but I doubt it. :-(
    luwak likes this.
  22. There's just a negative stigma placed on cans, I must admit I was guilty of it, until I had some 21A and Sixpoint beers. No way, in a blind taste test, could someone tell the difference between a beer poured from a bottle or one from a can.
    CaptainPiret, powpig2002 and smutty33 like this.
  23. Just a beautiful picture to behold!
  24. ChiPool

ChiPool Aficionado (185) Illinois Nov 6, 2011

Had it at the brewery last week...killer.
  25. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I am really hopping for Sculpin in tall boys. That would make me as happy as a little girl.
    xxbillay and fmccormi like this.
  26. That's a fine looking can. Too bad the product inside is not what it used to be.
    SaigonDaze and evilc like this.
  27. Im PA I'm drinking a Scuplin dated 3/30/13 best buy date.

I think that puts this at about a week and a half old? This is the freshest Sculpin I have seen in this area ever.
  28. heady has dorado in his back pocket, come on man.
  29. Shelf life is 6 months. That makes that beer, about 2 1/2 months old.
    Nicolay3535 likes this.
  30. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

I received Sculpin in a trade as an extra a couple of months ago and it was incredible. Plus that is one of my favorite labels to date. Now if it could only make its way to Texas.
  31. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

No. Sculpin uses a 110/120 day cycle. His beer is about a week old.
  32. All I need is Dorado and Sculpin in cans. Ok Victory At Sea too. Everything else can stay bottled
  33. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

They've been in DFW for a few months now (and Corpus Christi). Keg 1 just picked them up for Central TX, so by next month (supposedly), it should be on the shelf in Austin. Yipee!
  34. I like the idea of having Sculpin in cans, but I wish I would see it fresher than I have been lately, regardless of format. The freshest I have seen in my area is 2 months old. I saw some year old bombers yesterday. I guess when I start seeing the cans, at least I will know its fresh (maybe). I think they have flooded the market with them at ridiculous prices, so they don't sell quickly. Also, it seems like in my area, the distributors have no problem sending old product out. I have had one of my local stores tell me they just got Sculpin in and when I looked at the bomber it was already past the best by date. Fucking weak ass shit! Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

p.s. it may not be quite as good as it used to be, but when its fresh, it is still amongst the best single IPAs.
    WassailWilly likes this.
  35. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Cans are also easier to ship in the mail.... for you traders... lighter and sturdier.
    franklinn likes this.
  36. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

That would be really really awesome news.
  37. MIA4IPA

MIA4IPA Aficionado (240) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

Totally agree!! Amazing how it was first looked at and now has caught on like wildfire!!
  38. Canning micro brewed beer is flat out the BEST thing any brewery can do.
    Win~Win for the consumer, the shipper , and the brewery !!
    MIA4IPA likes this.
  39. JohnQ

JohnQ Aficionado (125) California Jul 7, 2012

I agree.I never buy cans.But I never drink it out of the bottle either.So it shouldn't matter.Also I've heard that aluminum is one of the easiest things to recycle.
    Retail1LO and BeerSocrates12 like this.