1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ballast Point starting to can.

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Rekrule, Dec 5, 2012.

1. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (180) New York Dec 25, 2008

Is Sculpin best within 4 months, or 120 days? If it's 4 months, then a 8/16/13 best by date would actually indicate a 4/16/13 bottle date.

2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Fresh Beer is wrong as 5.5 month out Big Eye and Sculpin are on the shelves in San Diego.

We should not perpetuate this 120 days nonsense.

3. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

It's cool man, I didn't think it was personal. "Respected member," eh? Wonder how I might have earned that :)

4. Don't worry, you don't sound like the type of dude who's into funny.

Or truth / reality / facts.

Nothing to trouble with, here.

5. Dowlers

Dowlers Zealot (85) California Apr 26, 2013

Just saw a bar in my neighborhood has Sculpin on draft for $2.50.....better go check out its freshness.

395er likes this.
  6. Still haven't seen it up in Nor Cal yet

7. Just saw my rep--- the cans are in! SOOOOO EXCITED!

8. Me either.

9. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

I paid 5.50 for a 16 oz. (legit) pour. Well worth it. But that keg did just get tapped today. Don't you Californians pretty much get fresh Sculpin out of your kitchen faucet?
    Don't imagine we'll see cans here in Florida till about 2015.

10. I live in the Bay Area, and I was just given samples of the cans-- they'll be packed in boxes, like the 21st Amendment packaging! I'll definitely be putting some in my store, so I know they are distributing them up here now!

11. I'm in the Bay Area as well, East Bay to be precise. I still can not figure out why NY State gets things from Stone/FSW/Bruery before the East Bay. Dayman was in SF 5 weeks before I ever saw it in Oakland. So if your store is in SF, I'll see them in Sept.

12. I'm in Los Altos, but come see me at the Draeger's in San Mateo, and I'll transfer over a sixer for you ;) Also, if you're east bay, and can get to the Draeger's in Blackhawk, Danville, I can send you some there too! The one downside to the cans? They're priced the same as the bottles. I was really hoping the price would fall slightly, but my rep said "nope!"

13. Grabbin2nd

Grabbin2nd Savant (330) California Jul 30, 2005

If you're in the state of California and you don't have cans yet, your distributor is doing it wrong.

14. Took it in the can last night here in Chicago.

ChanChan likes this.
  15. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Any confirmation that it's 4 months because I've seen it longer than that amount of time out for the Best By.

I've seen these cans in Philly, but not in NY yet.

16. Absolut

Absolut Savant (430) California Sep 19, 2011

I'd say yes- but then somebody would point put my faucet is tapping a keg 12.3 hours old, and start a debate on fresh IPA...

cans are in Ventura County. I give it a thumbs up.

17. Absolut

Absolut Savant (430) California Sep 19, 2011

Cubs fan... :)

ChanChan likes this.
  18. I grabbed a sixer in the Chicago suburbs last week, drinking very good right out of the can !!

19. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

It is ABSOLUTELY longer than 4 months.

dar482 likes this.
  20. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (740) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

Pretty sure it is 6 months. It was released in the Chicago market in early May and I recall seeing Best By dates of Sep 21 at the time.

The cans (Sculpin at least) have a canning date on the bottom and the box holding the six pack had a julian date sticker on the bottom as well(e.g. 13177).

dar482 likes this.
  21. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Awesome, thanks. Hope we get cans because despite the Sculpin fish being so iconic, I actually do like the classic simple looking can. Perfect that they now do a date.

22. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I was doing my normal beer shopping on Monday and I noticed these are all over the place in Austin now. Thank goodness... maybe they will stay fresher longer than the bottles.

23. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

this is fantastic. I love cans, and I love Ballast point.

I cant wait to pick up a can 6 pack :D

24. MJsGhost

MJsGhost Aficionado (245) New York Jun 30, 2013

I hate can beer, kill me. If I can't get the beer on tap or in a bottle, I won't purchase no matter how great or how cheap. That being said, I've had no problem accepting a pint glass from a friend that he filled with New England or 21st beers

25. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Ouch!!!

26. Obsidian

Obsidian Savant (305) California Dec 9, 2012

My local Total Wine pricing for Sculpin:

6 pack of bottles = $11.99
    6 pack of cans = $14.99

I will stick with the bottles.

TrojanRB likes this.
  27. It occasionally rains sculpin too......but then we bitch about the rain once every few months so the novelty is lost.

Geuzedad likes this.
  28. rather

rather Savant (305) California May 31, 2013

I want cans but why am I paying more?
    seriously I complained to tw and showed our bp rep when he was doing a tasting but they don't care.

29. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

That's F'd up.

30. The same thing happened with Sierra Nevada cans when they first arrived at TW.

31. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

PLEASE send Sculpin cans out here so I can take some to the shore!!!

32. Craft beer kings has 13 6pk of cans if you guys are ISO!

33. Anyone know of any Sculpin cans in the Washington DC area?

34. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Savant (350) California Jul 27, 2013

My local Total Wine (Redondo Beach) is packed with cans! Picked up Sculpin and the Pale Ale to take out on the water today.

35. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Still haven't seen cans here in Miami.

36. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (475) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Cans are everywhere here in AZ.

37. Any cans spotted in New England (aka, Ballast Point Dead Zone) yet?

smutty33 likes this.
  38. Count your blessings that it's that cheap. In NC, Sculpin is $17.99 for bottles and $15.99 cans at my local store. Our Total Wine has them priced the same though ($17.99).

39. jkn09

jkn09 Savant (320) Texas Oct 17, 2012

All over Dallas now. Now I need to go camping so I can grab some Sculpin cans.

40. slowonder1

slowonder1 Aficionado (125) Florida Jun 16, 2013

Yeah I'm pretty sure we are getting the remaining bottles before the cans come to Florida. I just saw some in the store that were dated 'enjoy by 12/12/13' which I'm assuming means they were bottled fairly recently?