1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ballast Point Victory At Sea

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ThirdEyePA, Feb 12, 2013.

1. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

How does Victory At Sea age? I know the bottles are printed with a "Best Before" date, so it makes me wonder if that's a hint suggesting that it doesn't. Either way, I'm curious.
  2. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Last year had an '08 bottle and it was stunning. Haven't had any in-between vintages though.
  3. mocktm

mocktm Savant (355) Virginia Jan 3, 2011

I can never hold on to this long enough to age it, but I'd assume the vanilla and coffee profile that makes this beer so awesome would be pretty diminished.
    RStang13 and RC0032 like this.
  4. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

I prefer it fresh, but not because the vanilla seems to diminish with time - it almost seems to become more vanilla centric with age, too much for my tastes. wonder if that is due to the coffee fading...
  5. BEERQWEST

BEERQWEST Initiate (20) Feb 13, 2013

Had some tap..and 6 month best buy...I preferred tap my self..
  6. too much vanilla fresh for me. Maybe the vanilla will fade with age.

Enjoy
  7. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

I'm going to sit on it for about 8 months and try it. Just to see how it's changed.
  8. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Had a 2008 after 2.5 years of cellar aging. The vanilla moved forward and the coffee moved back. I preferred the aged version myself, but am prone to falling for sweeter beers. I've got one left from 2008 that I'm looking forward to cracking open soon....
  9. this. First time I tried this it was on tap, aged 1 year. Felt like I was walking into a coldstone ice cream store. Too intense for me. In the last 2 weeks I've had both fresh draught and bottle which I've enjoyed immensely!
  10. I agree, the coffee seems to diminish and the vanilla stays put...it isnt a bad beer, but definitely different. I still find it enjoyable personally. I saved a 2011 one and opened it a few months back...I would agree that if you want the best of ALL of the flavors, then drink it fresh!
  11. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

"Age" this beer in a 37F fridge. Srsly.
  12. robL

robL Aficionado (240) California Oct 22, 2010

I always have a 1 year Victory at Sea in my fridge. I like it both fresh and with a little age. I think everyone here is right. The coffee fades and the vanilla rises with time. But having one fresh and then having one aged is a nice way to experience the same beer but with different profiles.
  13. Xul

Xul Advocate (500) California May 18, 2008

Gracefully, in my experience. I did a 4 year vertical a few weeks ago, and '09 was still drinking well - obviously different from fresh, less coffee and less intensity, but still a great beer. 2010 was okay - I thought that vintage was a bit off on release, the coffee had a very abrasive character to it. '11 had smoothed out a bit and was drinking very nicely.

Whether or not you enjoy it aged depends on why you like Victory at Sea. I think it's probably optimal around a year, when the coffee is still fairly strong but the beer has had a bit of time to smooth some of the rough edges, but it holds up for at least a few years.
    ThirdEyePA likes this.
  14. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Savant (250) Nebraska Nov 17, 2011

Fresh VAS is still my favorite. With a year on it the vanilla almost tastes artifical. Still a very good beer at a year though.