1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Baller Stout for sale @ Three Floyds today

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Dontcounttoday, Oct 24, 2012.

1. People shit on FFF a lot, for various reasons. This specific beer they had a special release party for and at the time of release, I think most agreed it was mediocre at best. I do like that I am hearing good things about how it is aging though, so I might just have to pick myself up another bottle.
  2. Thats my point, I dont know how it was drinking last november but I got 4 bottles at DLD and it was drinking really well. I was very pleasantly surprised I was even able to get it, figured it was all gone. Now again they release it, wish I could have gotten another bottle since im down to one. If they didnt sell out the first time why not sell it? Better than dumping it, and they arent charging any more than they were, and its been cellared properly for a year. They could easily ask $50 a bottle and they would still sell enough to make up for those that dont want to pay for it. Its just good business. I look at it as what was supposed to be a 1 time release collab between 4 amazing breweries, I thought I would never get to try, I now do, and im not being price gouged! It was a win-win.
    nben60 likes this.
  3. pretty sure you are getting price gouged, i believe it was cheaper at the anniversary party.
  4. Dont know, wasnt there ive heard people say the price was $35 at the release party, either way I was more than happy to pay $30 at DLD, and that was 6 months ago, 6 months later they are still charging $30 pretty sure that is NOT price gouging
    sleuthdog likes this.
  5. Per the XV anniversary announcement on FFF website, posted Sept. 2011, price was $25 a ticket, $30 a bottle, therefore unless my math is way off.. $30 last november compared to $30 yesterday, $0 variance, mark up=no price gouging :)
  6. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Depends on what the weasel was eating that day... We drink poo beer.
  7. Yes, because Zombie Dust exists, Three Floyds should get a pass for every beer they release that is underwhelming and overpriced.

Look, I get it: you're a FFF homer. I am, too. If they release something new, I'm buying two bottles. I drive out of my way to visit the pub every week because I love it there. But that doesn't mean we should gloss over their sub-par beers, because with the exception of the barrel-aged Dark Lords they have been their most expensive releases.

- Baller Stout ($30): Decent, but totally overpriced for what it delivered. Or were we expected to foot the bill for Urbain's vacation?

- Biggs' Stache ($35): AWFUL. AWFUL. AWFUL.

- Battle Priest ($35): Bottle variation ranging from (supposedly) excellent to (in my case) totally undrinkable.

We give FFF a lot of our money, or at least I do. We're allowed to criticize them.
    sarro, drewba, Rempo and 3 others like this.
  8. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Mmmm bile variation.
  9. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

FFF bottle release threads: the most productive places on the internet.
    Vav likes this.
  10. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

I can't believe it took this long for the g word to show up in this thread, I hammered the under and lost all my Zombie Dust money.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  11. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I think what many people are trying to say is that it may be a good beer, but $30 for a single-serving beer is a lot for something that doesn't wow you.

For 30+ bucks, it better be a blowjob in a bottle.
  12. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (545) California Dec 12, 2009

Everything tastes a lil better when its free!!
  13. I pre Mo-Baller Stout
  14. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (545) California Dec 12, 2009

They shoulda called it a suicide stout!!!
  15. steebo777

steebo777 Savant (485) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I've had it three times. Fresh, 2 months on it and a couple weeks ago. I still stand by statement, especially considering the price. I actually like all four stouts that are blended in there on their own, I just didn't think the end result was that good.
  16. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Great thing about craft beer, unlimited flavors to go around.

I love Baller Stout. I've had it 8 times, including at the Anniversary party on tap. and have plan on having it many more times.

Cheers!

17. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

I am glad someone is drinking it. It would be a shame to see good beer goo to waste.

Seriously, next time blend to taste.
    drewba likes this.
  18. Real talk: Baller Stout smoothed out since the release and I actually regret trading off the remainder of my bottles.

...But still not enough to pay $30 for another bottle. $10? Yes. $15? Ehh...okay. $30? NO NO NO.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  19. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

♪ They tried to make me buy some Baller. I said, "No, no, no..." ♪
    drewba and yeahnatenelson like this.
  20. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

That's what they said about ZesZesZes too...
  21. And.... it's back ($30/1 per customer). Allegedly the last time it will be for sale:
    Also, their Chicago distributor posted this picture earlier:
    [​IMG]
  22. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

Finally, someone makes truck chasing easier!
  23. That must be a shelf-less truck as I've read on the internet that Three Floyds beer doesn't sit on shelves.
    Rempo, ravot, JakeT469 and 4 others like this.
  24. At the pub now. Anybody need a proxy for Baller? Shoot me a message.
    bauermj likes this.
  25. I had a guy INSIST on giving me a 100% BA Cuir for my Biggs' Stache which I had absolutely no interest in drinking. He said it smells and tastes like nail polish remover, and for whatever reason he loves it. He will trade a lot to get as many bottles as he can. Hit me up if you want to dump more nail polish remover for fantastic beers.
  26. ISO: this amazing truck
    BreakingBad likes this.
  27. Well, Mama always said it takes all kinds to make a world...
    Dontcounttoday likes this.
  28. birchholz

birchholz Savant (270) Illinois Jul 21, 2010

Truck Wale?
    Dontcounttoday likes this.
  29. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Savant (330) Kentucky Mar 17, 2008

Forget $30 for Baller Stout... Isn't Hopslam ready to hit the market in February.. I'd rather pay $30 for a sixer of Hopslam than $30 for some BS.
  30. Maybe there will be a Maximum Overdrive-inspired rumble between FFF's truck and Half Acre's new truck:[​IMG]
    ravot, dvelcich and gill897 like this.
  31. gill897

gill897 Aficionado (160) Illinois Apr 18, 2008

so this is what happens when lincoln anderson goes to work for glunz.