Balloon flavors?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by KBrennan1000, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't know what the issue is but I've had a few different beers that have had very strong latex/rubber/balloon smell and flavor to them. Kiwi Rising, Cisco HBC Hopsickle and now the Mayflower 5th Anniversary DIPA. I know that it's not the beers themselves. I thought at first it might be since the Kiwi Rising and Cisco had been sitting on my shelf for some time. But after having it happen to the Mayflower I know that it can't be the beer. I got a few fresh from the brewery and had one last night with no problems at all. The common thread for the off beers is my girlfriend's house. At my house the beers taste fine but at hers, 3 out of 4 times hoppy beers taste like balloons. My question is what could be the cause and how can we fix/prevent it?

2. mrcraft

mrcraft Champion (750) California Dec 15, 2012

Could it be the glasses and how they are cleaned?

VonZipper likes this.
  3. It could be the glasses, which was my first thought, but no one else in her house notices any off flavors. Granted no one else is as attentive to their beer as we are. It helps that at my house there aren't any roommates so we're the only ones in control of cleaning the glasses. Some of what I was reading suggested traces of bleach, chlorine, etc can majorly screw things up so maybe the glasses aren't getting properly rinsed?

4. mrcraft

Kinda sucks you're getting lame answers. I re-read the post a few times before answering above. I think it's a serious question. I think there's something in the cleaning agent that's creating this effect. Or, maybe someone at the house uses latex gloves when washing dishes and glasses, and leaves residue behind.

5. mrcraft

Guess those answers are getting deleted as they are posted...

6. Todd

Todd Founder (1,615) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Correct. The juvenile posts are being reported and removed.

jhartley likes this.
  7. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I've heard of people complaining about rubber band like flavors and aromas in beer, but I'm not sure where that would come from.

8. MattyG85

MattyG85 Champion (800) Minnesota Aug 31, 2010

I've only gotten that when cutting wax tops off and some of it gets into the glass.

9. Turns out one of the roommates does use rubber gloves for doing the dishes. That must be playing a big part. In terms of the unhelpful answers, I got a chuckle out of some of them. I kind of assumed there would be a few stock responses like those. I guess I'll have to start drinking out of the bottle from now on at her place.

match1112 likes this.
  10. I'd just rewash a glass, myself. Depending on what beer it is of course, and how motivated I'm feeling.

I'm wondering if it could be some kind of allergy like some people have with cilantro. I like it, but some of my family members say it tastes like aluminum foil. It's some enzymatic thing that I'm not qualified to expound upon. Maybe you've developed some issue with certain hop varieties? Though I hope that's not what's going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.