1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bang Brewing

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by maximum12, Sep 15, 2013.

1. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Since this little place opened up in St. Anthony Park where I grew up, & we were stopping by my mom's place last night, thought I'd swing by & check it out.

Strange little place. Looks like a grain silo from the outside, & also looks like it's intentionally hiding. If you didn't know what it looked like (I saw a pic of it in some on-line article) you wouldn't know. No sign, no exterior hint that it's a brewery...just what appears to be a squat, cut-in-half grain silo. Not sure what the strategy is there. Maybe they're just taking it slow?

Anyways, the important part, Neat. Their only beer is a pale ale, & it's right on the border between very good & excellent. It is a bit pricey, at $6/pint. But IMHO, pales are one of the hardest styles to nail. No room for error, no huge malt bill or or searing hops or barrel to hide the flaws, so doing up a low-ABV, boring old pale that well is impressive. I'll be heading back.

BeardedAllen, Penguin3200 and Chaz like this.
  2. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Great review!

3. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Got to chat with the brewer/owner guy while there. Tried to pry some info from him about their mission/goals/whatever but he was pouring the beer and kept getting interrupted. Single malt and single hop, he said he hopped the hell out of it. Not even sure what the abv is but I'd guess somewhere between 5-6%. Certainly was quite dry and bitter. I liked the beer, the place and folks running it.

BeardedAllen and Penguin3200 like this.
  4. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Has anyone tried their new beer Minn. Minimal IBU? Weird name.

5. edbeered

edbeered Savant (310) Minnesota Oct 29, 2004

It's a Mild Ale. It's true to style and well made. If you like Milds, you'll like this one. Both their beers are 100 % organic, which might be why they are a bit pricey.

McRyan likes this.
  6. Stopped by on a whim, by suggestion of the head brewer up at Northgate. I distinctly remember pulling in and thinking I'd gone to the wrong address. However, something compelled me to walk over to the, slightly out of place, Silo on the edge of the lot. The inside was very impressive, the high ceiling of the silo mixed with the reconstituted wood over the tap, made for an interesting atmospheric feel. We caught them pretty early in their run, maybe only a week or so after opening, but the Pale they were serving was top-notch as far as Pales go. Definitely a high IBU brew (I would've mistaken it for a IPA, had I not been told). Talked to the owner and his wife for a good bit, lovely people. Turns out they're tilling a bit of the land next to the silo to start growing a few beer supplies. I can't recall if they were planning on using them for their own brews or selling. From what I saw, I think this is a brewery to keep your eye on. Fantastic Flag ship brew, and more on the way. I'll definitely be back.

McRyan likes this.
  7. igor

igor Aficionado (190) Minnesota Nov 7, 2009

Stopped in yesterday and tried both the pale ale and the mild. Both were solid. The pale was incredibly crisp. The building, grain silo was super cool. It's definitely the most unique place to have a beer in the twin cities. There really isn't much for seating. About 8-10 places at the bar. There were a few chairs that you could sit on too. I reccomend a visit to anyone looking for an under the radar ( at least for now) place to have a good beer.

BeardedAllen likes this.
  8. McRyan

Flying way on under the radar... Not really sure why, anyone check it out lately?

9. tonye

tonye Aficionado (120) Minnesota Oct 28, 2009

I asked about that when I was there on Saturday. It sounds like they're just being overly cautious. They said they had just returned from visiting their (organic) hop farmer in Michigan. They're still playing with their ingredients a bit, and said they want to lock in the final ingredients/recipes for their main brews before they start shipping kegs. They don't want to change them much after they officially launch.

So for now, they're content to just use the taproom to try things out on us. They said they don't expect to start shipping kegs until somewhere around the beginning of the year. Apparently, they can afford to do that.

Pug, BeardedAllen, KarlHungus and 2 others like this.
  10. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Goodness. I liked their beer, now I like them. There are a number of Twin Cities breweries that should be forced to write this on a chalkboard 2,000 times. Good for Bang!

KarlHungus, Ish1 and McRyan like this.
  11. I visited this past weekend and found their pale ale to be WAY too bitter, really unpleasantly mouth-numbing. Wasn't getting much hop aroma either. The space is ridiculously cool so I wish them the best but I don't want that same beer near my lips again.

I just had a sip of their mild from my buddy's glass so I can't really give a just review. Not too much going on. Seemed pleasant enough for me, didn't really do much for him though.

12. morimech

morimech Advocate (700) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I was going to post something along the likes of "This would make maximum12 happy" but you beat me to it.

maximum12 likes this.
  13. McRyan

Does anyone know if Bang is going to distribute their beer?

14. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

That's funny, I could swear that they had an email address (but I can't find one.) They do Twitter, so maybe someone can send them a Tweet and ask.

Pretty small operation as it it, but I suppose they could run a contract for some cans to be filled nearby. :cool:

15. KV12482

KV12482 Aficionado (105) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

I believe their plan is to distribute to St. Paul bars only.

16. McRyan

They seem very content on staying small. Hard to find much of a media presence or footprint. Where can you even find taproom hours?

17. KV12482

KV12482 Aficionado (105) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

The hours are on the front page of their website http://bangbrewing.com/

TAP ROOM HOURS
    Friday 5 P.M. to 10 P.M.
    Saturday 12 noon to 5 P.M.

18. McRyan

Thanks didn't know they had one. No link on the twitter handle.

19. tonye

tonye Aficionado (120) Minnesota Oct 28, 2009

Chaz and McRyan like this.