1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bar Etiquette

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Darwin553, Jan 17, 2013.

1. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Depends on the bar...... If you know its a bar that offers samples, don't hesitate to ask for a sample. If it's a bar you aren't so familiar with, sit down and order a beer you know you like, then while you imbibe you can pay attention to others ordering drinks. If you see others being offered or asking for samples and receiving them, ask away!
  2. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Exactly. I wish more places offered well priced 4oz pours. It's just enough to really get a feeling for the beer, but not enough that you regret ordering it if you hate it. Plus I like trying as many offerings as I can in a new place and I feel funny asking for more than one sample.
  3. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

This is my experience also. I recently visited Independent Ale House in Rapid City, SD. It was a nice craft beer bar with a fun atmosphere. The bartenders were *excessively* eager to share their beers with me. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I like asking the bartenders about Beer X or Beer Y because they 1) have usually tried them all and 2) they have gotten feedback from several customers. When I visited the Ale House, I swear every time I asked about a beer or even glanced at the beer list, it seemed like I was offered a sample plus a sample of something I might like based on my interest in whatever beer I was inquiring about. It was almost to the point of me not wanting anymore samples because then I feel obligated to drink it when I really just wanted a very basic description or even what style it might be. I swear I left after getting more buzzed off of samples than actual pints ordered, and it certainly wasn't because I had asked for that many samples.
  4. I will usually ask for a sample or buy a taster if they will do that. I rarely dive in to a full pour of anything without tasting it first.
  5. Curry

Curry Aficionado (170) Montana Apr 10, 2003

One of the locals I frequent likes to keep rotating their taps of "decent" (or what they consider to be "decent," at least) beer. The bartenders know I like good beer, and generally when they have a new offering, I'm offered a half glass of the new beer, "because the owner said to make sure you tried this." If I see a new tap, I'll generally order a pint, instead of asking for a sample. (Not to imply that there's anything wrong with asking for a sample. Better ask than buy a pint and not be happy with it.)
  6. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I have no problem asking for a sample at a beercentric place, but only do it if it's something odd or unfamiliar.