1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Barleywine Suggestions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BrownAleMale, Dec 24, 2012.

1. This is a style that I haven't had much of, but the few I have tried have been really boozy and hop forward. Could I please get some suggestions on some that are a little less boozy and more malty.

2. Which ones have you tried so far?

3. Brooklyn Monster Ale comes to mind. What area are you in?

4. Only 2, Stone and New Glarus thumbprint. Both were overly boozy to me and the Stone was really bitter and I thought really hop forward.

5. Wisconsin and Im gonna buy some of the Central Waters Y2K barleywine this coming week to try.

6. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,020) Michigan May 5, 2010

English Barleywines

JW Lees Harvest ale
    Anchor Old Foghorn
    Flying Dog Horn Dog
    Brooklyn Monster Ale

7. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

Bell's Third Coast Old Ale. Buy extra and put some age on it.

I'd also suggest Sierra Nevada Big Foot but that may fall into the hop forward category for you.

8. I dont mind a lot of hops as long as there is balance

9. Bigfoot with a year of age on it tones down the hops enough to find a nice balance with the malt. The 2012 bottles (released in January of this year) are drinking very nicely right now, while the brand new 2013 batch might be too much for you.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  10. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Make sure if you ask about English barleywines but want more than just english brewery suggestions that you actually say "english barleywine style".....itll save your thread lol

11. Try some of the English style vs. American, as they'll certainly back down the hops. Not sure if you want to dive into BA ones, but that's nearly all of my point of reference. Seeing that you're a Cheesehead as well, some that you may want to look into are any of the J.W. Lees, Weyerbacher Insanity (thou not certainly of the shelves), Sprecher is very good although it doesn't get that high of marks and I'm not sure if they've started producing it again, Barrel Aged Naked Evil, which will require a far amount of searching and last, consider trading as a number of ones I'm not mentioned aren't available here (§ucaba, Mother of All Storms, Mirror Mirror).

fujindemon74 and BrownAleMale like this.
  12. kvnstfrd

kvnstfrd Aficionado (240) Missouri Sep 21, 2008

Ridgeway - Criminally Bad Elf (England)
    Emelisse - Barley Wine (Netherlands)
    Nils Oscar - Barley Wine (Sweden)
    Nynäshamns - Botet Barley Wine (Sweden)

johnnieoz likes this.
  13. Well they are all lumped into 1 style in BA, and Im pretty sure there are some American versions that arent hop forward but more on the balanced side.

14. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Look for Barleywines labeled English style, they tend to be on the sweeter side, and definitely not hop dominated.
    Sucaba, Mother of All Storms are great ones.

hopburster and BrownAleMale like this.
  15. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Weyerbacher Insanity > all

16. Pretty Things Our Finest Regards. So smooth. In season currently too.

17. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Central Waters BBBW
    Blighs
    BA Naked Evil
    MOAS
    Kuhnhenn BBBW

18. Docrock

Docrock Savant (465) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Liftbridge Commander should be available in your area

jmgrub likes this.
  19. david23

david23 Savant (260) New York Feb 27, 2004

If you can find a bottle still around, Goose Island King Henry is a must.

20. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (525) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

You want to look/ask for English Style Barleywines. As stated here previously the English style is more malt forward than the hop forward American style.

21. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Great Divide Old Ruffian is an amazing barley wine. It's the beer that got me into the style.

22. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

I have been enjoying Green Flash Barleywine and nicely priced at $6 a bomber,

23. glaze3

glaze3 Aficionado (140) Nevada Jul 29, 2010

Alesmith- Old Numbskull

24. I'm going to echo the thoughts of some others here & preface my contribution with the disclaimer that I absolutely adore a well crafted English style barleywine.

Weyerbacher Insanity is going to be tough to beat in the style you're looking for. Don't be put off by the barrel aging, it's well done & not up in your face. I'm such a fanboy of this brew.

Pretty Things Our Finest Regards is another in season option right now.

Firestone Walker Sucaba, just buy it whenever you're fortunate enough to find it. It's that good.

Lost Abbey Angel's Share...another one you should just buy & try.

J.W. Lees Harvest Ale 2011 in Calvados Barrels...if you can find it, just buy it.

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree with at least 1 year of age, with 2-3 years being best imo, drinks like what you're looking for. Buy a 4-pack if you can find it and forget about it for a few years. You may even find some shelf aged nearly a year at this point.

DuClaw Devil's Milk...ok, so I had this for the first time last night and it's billed as an american style barleywine, but man that was a candied sugar, citrus, ribbon candy malt bomb with a subtle bitter back end. Needless to say, I'm going to buy a bunch.

Hoppin' Frog Naked Evil...oh man, I love me some malt.

Cigar City Brewing Warmer Winter Winter Warmer...is exactly what you're looking for imo. It's an english barleywine blended with an old ale. Citrus ribbon candy with a nice heat. No everyone's cup of tea, but I adore this beer. Had my first a month or so ago, and will buy this on sight from here on out.

johnnieoz likes this.
  25. Although it's technically an old ale I think, I've been digging Founder's Old Curmudgeon is a pretty solid malt forward strong ale. Definitely sweeter than most I'd usually go for. But to be fair I've been sitting on some from last year and didn't really have it fresh so don't know how it's mellowed.

johnnieoz and fujindemon74 like this.
  26. We should add North Coast Old Stock Ale with 1-3 years of age (though I think it is great fresh).

Best old ale I've ever had (not saying best ever), The Bruery Fruet.
    Mind-blowingly awesome, made me forget how expensive it was after 1st sip.

jdmandel likes this.
  27. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Came here to say this.

28. rontrig

rontrig Disciple (65) Missouri May 8, 2012

St. Louis Missouri has a few local barley wines that are malt forward and less boozy. Schlafly barrel aged barley wine is amazing and has notes of vanilla,oak, and malt. Right now they have a vertical on the shelves here and the 2009 is just splendid. I would suggest finding a bw that you like and sitting on it for a year or two the alcohol and hops will really mellow. If your interested in Schlafly's barley wine you can order it from The Wine and Cheese place online. Good luck and hope this helps.

29. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

As said earlier, Insanity is a great one too. It's insane.:)

30. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

31. I just had a 2011 Arctic Devil (Midnight Sun) last night and can safely say it was the best barley wine I have ever tasted. It was an extra included in a trade, but I plan to trade for much more of it soon!

ROBSTARR and fujindemon74 like this.
  32. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

DFH Olde School. Careful with that one though.

chugalug06 and fujindemon74 like this.
  33. Fuller's Vintage Ale might fit OP's bill/palate.
    Walks that fine line between english barleywine/old ale.

Schwantz likes this.
  34. freeride

freeride Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 18, 2012

I thought the same thing about stone. But if you age it a year or so, man does it get delicious! Maybe they come a bit "hot" fresh. If you can afford some time, it's worth it. I would say the same can be said for the JW Lee's Harvest Ale. I've got some hidden 2006's that should be ripe any year now...

Midnight Sun out of Alaska makes a pretty bada$$ barleywine as well and would echo the Old Ruffian.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  35. Love Old Ruffian, but the Barrel Aged Old Ruffian is fantastic, though potentially too boozy for OP.

36. freeride

Never had the barrel aged! That sounds DEEEELISH. I was able to get a bunch of the 2010 regular and BELGO old guardians as well. Aged in bourbon barrels, red wine barrels, and just straight up. I did a tasting a few weeks back and those barrel aged ones just have an awesome pop. You're right though, maybe too boozy to start out with.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  37. BA Old Ruffian is going to be $$$ if you can find it, but my advice is splurge at least once.
    I'm sure you've spent more on less enjoyable things in life.

Same advice on The Bruery Fruet.

38. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

39. freeride

But she loved me! Don't judge!!

fujindemon74 likes this.
  40. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Leon
    Moas

dachshunddude86 likes this.