1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Barleywine Suggestions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BrownAleMale, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

FFF Behemoth will be out soon. It's a little hop forward, but hides the booze very well. I stock up every January as it is one of my favorite barleywines.
    C2H5 and brother_kenneth like this.
  2. Too hop forward, is there such a thing? I have never had one:)
  3. raoulduke37

raoulduke37 Savant (255) California Dec 31, 2008

I am in complete agreement with the brother. I last had it in 2010 at my bachelor party and have been trying to get ahold of it ever since. This quest will consume the rest of my life. J.W. Lees is another great one, though. Start there if you can.
    brother_kenneth likes this.
  4. Dogfish Olde School is good
    Southern Tier Backburner- a bit hoppy, but sweet enough to balance it out.
    Heavy Seas Below Decks- not hoppy, but maybe a little boozy
    Anchor Old Foghorn- one of my favorites
    New Holland Pilgrims Dole- its a wheatwhine, tastes close enough to a barleywine

would avoid sn bigfoot. incredibly hoppy and bitter.
  5. johnnieoz

johnnieoz Savant (295) Texas Feb 11, 2005

Great avatar!
  6. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

[​IMG]

Well balanced.
    Readily available.
    Inexpensive.
    Pretty in the glass.
    buddha5050 likes this.
  7. Not a fan of the style at all, and I know it's been said but Bell's Third Coast Old Ale was pretty bangin
  8. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (315) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

Bolt Cutter if you can get your hands on one :D
  9. +1 to FFF Behemoth.
    Troeg's Flying Mouflan
    Great Divide Old Ruffian
    Nogne Sunturnbrew (boozy but great)
    Avery Samael's Ale (boozy but great)
    Hantverksbryggeriet Baronen

I wouldn't recommend Avery's Hog Heaven as DelMontiac did earlier because it's probably the hoppiest barleywine I've ever had.
    johnnieoz likes this.
  10. You can add Arcadia's Cereal Killer to the list of English-style Barleywines. It's a 'killer.'
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  11. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

These are the correct answers. Although all are barrel aged.
  12. johnnieoz

johnnieoz Savant (295) Texas Feb 11, 2005

Sunturnbrew is amazing...smoked barleywine, one of a kind.
  13. If there's anything awesome about my *literally* neighborhood 7-11, it's that turnover is exceptionally low on really expensive craft beer. While the shelves of the local BevMos and Total Wines are being stocked hard on the 4-pack 2013 Bigfoots, I just bought, minutes ago, another sixer of the 2012. :cool:
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  14. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

This. I found Big Foot to be a bit to harsh the first time I had. Third Coast is great. Pretty well balanced. Not too malty (I can't stand barleywines that are too syrupy-sweet.) Also if you can get it Three Floyds Behemoth is awesome. More akin to a dipa though.
  15. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

trudat.

The other one you might try that you can get up in Wi is Southern Tier Backburner. Also New Holland wheat wine is good and a slightly different style. weyerbacher blithering idiot also good besides the insanity which is a barrel aged version if BI.

If you like the barleywines you would probably like the weyer quad or the barrel quad -- blasphamy.

Any of these if you can grab some and just put them away for a while they will mellow out a bit...
  16. Stone Old Guardian, Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot or Insanity, DFH Olde School. I also thoroughly enjoyed Mendocino's barley wine.
  17. English Barleywines in general tend to be less hoppy than American Barleywines. Jw Lees is a gold standard and many places have multiple vintages/varieties on the shelf at any given time. Also, although significantly more difficult to obtain, Mother of All Storms is incredible.
  18. oldedog

oldedog Savant (310) Connecticut Oct 23, 2012

Bolt Cutter oh so good cheers
  19. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot - A nice English-style barleywine with big dark fruit notes and minimal hops.
    Alesmith Old Numbskull - A little hoppy, but definitely a lot of caramel malts to balance it out, and finishes sweet. A little boozy though.
    Southern Tier Backburner - Another more English-style traditional barleywine, sweet malts and candied dark fruits.

Most barleywines are boozy...if you can't stand the 'heat', so to speak, get out of the kitchen. There are more than a few maltier barleywines, but barleywines by nature are high alcohol beers.
  20. Hopdaemon39

Hopdaemon39 Savant (360) New York Dec 27, 2011

I second the recommendation of Old Numbskull- fantastic beer. Also Pretty Things Our Finest Regards if you live in the new england area.
  21. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Ah, almost forgot Flying Mouflan, although it is a little hoppy. It has more chocolate notes than any barleywine I've ever had, but the hops play a significant role in that beer. It's one of my favorite beers of all time.
  22. greg357

greg357 Aficionado (100) Wisconsin Jun 18, 2010

Buy some Central Waters BBBW when it comes out in a month or two, squirrel it away. Then try some of the suggestions the fine folks here have given you. With a year on it the BBBW is fantastic, it's what got me into the barleywine style. Living here in Cheesehead land we don't have access to the top shelf stuff (MOAS, Sucaba, etc.) without a trade, but with the Cental Waters BBBW and Y2K readily available you won't miss it too much. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, I've got a cold one in the fridge I'm going to enjoy now...
    gg
    PS - anybody try the current Y2K yet?
  23. If you can get your hands on a year old Doggie Claws, drinking that will remind you why people love barley wines. Also gonna add another vote for Old Foghorn - you'll be in malt heaven.
  24. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (770) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Arctic devil
    Kuhnhenn bbbw
    Abacus/sucab

Easier to get ones are
    Weyerbacher insanity
    Blithering idiot
    Bitterbill likes this.
  25. Agree with the other folks that point out English is definitely "more malty" than American style. "Less boozy" is a bit harder to nail down as most barley's are gonna be high abv. But an aged English should fit the bill. I'll add to the JW Lee's Harvest suggestions. Landed some 2002 vintage last year and this was just amazin...toffee, butterscotch, so freakin smooth. Insanity, Sucaba, MOAS, are mind blowing. Given your criteria for less boozy, you may want these with some age on em. Not a comment on individual taste, but given your criteria I would disagree with many of the American style suggestions like Avery Hog Heaven (I really dig this beer but it's a hop monster). Just had a 1 year old Doggie Claws and again, I dig this beer but it's still hop forward. Olde School fits the malty bill but though it's mellow for a 15%'er, well it's 15% (oldest I've had is a 2 year old so guessin a few years will even tame this beast). Most importantly, have fun tryin em all!
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  26. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

American BW:

ST Backburner
    Troegs Flying Mouflan
    Stone Old Guardian
    GD Old Ruffian
    SN Bigfoot
    Bell's Third Coast Old Ale

English BW:

Hoppin' Frog BANE
    Flying Dog Horn Dog
  27. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I'll keep an eye out, I'd ship you one just to see the review. I want everyone to experience the same misery I went through. It could be the new Triple Bock.
    UCLABrewN84 likes this.