1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Barleywine tasting

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sarge27, Jan 18, 2013.

1. I'm working on putting together what I hope to be an epic barleywine tasting. It's getting close to the point where I'm happy with the line up, but trying to narrow it down a bit and looking for a bit of advice from people who have had some of the various options. It will probably be a 5 person tasting, so trying to keep the total to under 15 so we can still stand by the end of the day.

Here is what I have so far:

King Henry
    Great
    Leon
    Kuhnhenn BBBW
    BA Behemoth
    BA Hi-Fi Batch 1 and/or 2
    Mother of all Storms 2011 and/or 2012
    Bligh's 2011 and/or 2012
    Hammerhead
    Sucaba and/or Abacus
    BA Naked Evil
    BA Old Ruffian
    BA Old Numbskull
    Central Waters BBBW
    Arctic Devil
    Bolt Cutter
    BA Cereal Killer

Still think I want to try to get the following:

Cognac Church on a Hill
    Gratitude
    BA Bigfoot
    Bourbon County Barleywine (if it comes out before the tasting)

So here is where I ask for advice. Which don't stand up to the rest that I can cross off the list? Am I missing anything that should be on there (aside from whalish stuff like Wooden Hell)? Any advice on choosing one vintage over another? I appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Cheers!
  2. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

I see what you did there;)
  3. I've only had 5 of those beers.
    FML
  4. I recently had MoaS 09-12 and Bligh's 11 & 12. IMO the 2011 MoaS was the best of the 4 vintages. 12 was still pretty hot. I think you should just include 1 MoaS since you're trying to have as wide a variety as possible.

Same goes for the Bligh's. the 2011 vintage is just much better than the 2012, but the '11 was really good fresh too. I don;t think its an aging issue, just a slight difference in the beers from year to year.

Bolt Cutter is forgettable.

You've got a fairly good list of recent BA Barleywine releases. The only one you don't have that comes to mind is Big Sky's Olde Bluehair

Cheers!
  5. What, no Midnight Sun M? For shame! ;)
    Cbing6 and sarge27 like this.
  6. If I had a really, really strong arm, I'd throw you a Weyerbacher Insanity. But I don't, so I can't. :(
  7. Are you selling tickets for this?
    sarge27, Chugs13 and RDMII like this.
  8. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

Have had all but 3 in your list. Hammerhead doesn't stack up to the others...that'd be my first to cut out of your tasting.
  9. xanok

xanok Savant (395) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

I think 15 beers like this is too many for just five people. I'd leave King Henry and Gratitude out of it. Opening those should be an event unto themselves.
  10. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Nooooo...I take.
    xanok likes this.
  11. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Savant (280) California Nov 21, 2011

JW Lee's!!!
    danedelman likes this.
  12. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I would take that list, split it in half and have two equally great tastings. But thats just me.
  13. RDMII

RDMII Savant (290) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

What he said. Damn.
  14. Originally I wanted to keep it to 10, but really wanted to get a side by side comparison of all of them. I do love me some hammerhead, but it sounds like it may get the bump. Thinking Bolt Cutter as well. I was excited when I first heard about it, but everything I've heard has been pretty underwhelming.

Shoot, anyone who wants to toss in a Wooden Hell or an M can have a seat....I guess ;)

Appreciate all the feedback so far!
  15. My only question is how can I get an invite?
  16. robboyd

robboyd Savant (285) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

Man, we're on the same wavelength. I'm doing a BW tasting with local BA's tomorrow. I just started a different thread but I'd imagine we're going to have many of the beers mentioned on your list. Planning on taking detailed notes during out tasting. It would be great to compare notes publicly when it's all said and done.
  17. You guys are gonna be wasted. Can I come?
  18. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

We just did one of these a couple months ago. Granted we didn't have Great. What stood out the most was KH, Kuhnhenn BBBW, Bligh's, Leon and BA Church. I think you should get some Central Waters BBBW. That is some amazing unsuspecting beer. Sebago is stupidly drinkable. And don't forget some Gratitude. Only opened up one off my vertical for the tasting, but it was really really good.
  19. not Whaleish by a mile,
    but the Brooklyn Monster Barleywine is different. Its like... what a triple IPA should be. unique beer imho.
  20. doucmehu

doucmehu Savant (385) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

I agree with HopsMatt - you should get some CW BBBW for comparison. It may not be at the very top of the list, but the value is extremely high. It's a prime example that you don't have to spend $1/oz for a great beer.
  21. I do indeed have two bottles of CW BBBW already. They were very nice extras from a couple different BAs. I loved their Bourbon Barrel stout, been saving the BBBW for the tasting and can't wait to try it.

Definitely will be taking notes. Still going back and forth on how we want to do the tasting, most likely leaning toward a blind tasting of small samples and then over the course of the day go back and enjoy things more individually.
  22. robboyd

robboyd Savant (285) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

If I want to spend a dollar an ounce, I'll spend a dollar an ounce. Seriously thought, you don't have to do that?
  23. JW Lees Harvest ale from 2002-2008 are best now. Fruet is good too but may be an Old Ale. What's the difference anyway??
    IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  24. NorCalYeti

NorCalYeti Savant (340) California Dec 18, 2008

crap, that sounds pretty heavy...but a solid lineup. i set up a bigfoot tasting with one other person...lets just say i should have had help...1999-2009

[​IMG]
  25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Share Great with the first person to arrive, that is my only advice, 2 ounces of this liquid nirvana is not enough (assuming you have only one bottle).

The rest are gold, don't drop any.
    mikecharley likes this.
  26. 2 predictions:
    -Great will be the consensus best in show
    -You will all be annihilated.
    WassailWilly and cavedave like this.