1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Barrel-Aged Beer Tasting @ CCTH in Kalamazoo April 12th

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by decadance, Mar 20, 2012.

1. adamdd

adamdd Savant (330) Michigan May 9, 2011

I've got dibs on nice spot for a tent near the Epic Center entrance right by the escalators. I think I'll get there by Wednesday afternoon.

decadance likes this.
  2. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

Any chance they'll have a brew from Kuhnhenn on?

3. brandonban

brandonban Disciple (70) Michigan Nov 3, 2010

There is a Kuhnhenn on right now.

raymo55 likes this.
  4. trginter

If it's the one they had a few weeks ago, I've had it. Just wondering if they'll have any BA stuff from them.

5. decadance

decadance Savant (385) Texas Mar 14, 2010

They have the Kuhnhenn IPA on. CCTH is the only bar in Kalamazoo which gets Kuhnhenn, though they have not see the rarities, largely because they are very very rarely distributed in Kegs.

6. see ya there marc?

7. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I wish Ed! Just can't make it happen. Have too many things to wrap up at the hotel before the opening. Sounds like a great event, in fact we are planning on doing something similar with 2010 BCBS, 2011, King Henry, Bramble, Juliet, Lolita and Sofie. Probably be a June event, The Fitz facebook will let every one know.

8. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Damnit I wish I could go. Too far for a work night to drive though.

9. decadance

I am already planning on Friday being entirely worthless for me.

10. Haven't even been able to score one for myself, but if for some crazy reason I come across two of them before Thurs., I'll bring it for you.

11. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

You da man!! Keep me posted

12. trginter

I'll be wearing a Dark Horse black hoodie. Prolly be there around five.

13. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

Never too far for beers like these!

14. jale

jale Savant (465) Michigan Oct 17, 2009

What time are you coming Kyle?

15. decadance

Remember folks, this is tomorrow. Put your drinking pants on.

16. decadance

17. adamdd

What if we don't normally wear pants? I'm concerned raymo might show up without them. He just seems like that guy.

18. decadance

Frankly, I expect him in overalls.

19. trginter

Do CCTH let you buy bottles to take home?

20. decadance

Not this time. All are allocated for the event. They do have a to go liscense, and do sell bottles to remove from the location.

21. trginter

Gotcha. Good info to know on regular occasions. I'm banking on them getting bottles of some delicious Kuhnhenn beers.

22. decadance

Brandon is working on it, but, Kuhnhenn doesn't generally get this side of the state (minus GR).

23. raymo55

I was gonna wear a skirt with fishnet stockings...but overalls it is! Plus overalls will protect me from Todd's anal avatar!

24. raymo55

I was just there this past weekend....well worth the 2 hour trip!

25. decadance

Actually, I suppose that will be the way to identify me for the people who haven't met me: I will be wearing a hoodie with my avatar on it.

26. Well, since overalls and Todd's avatar are spoken for, I'll be there wearing my yellow Right Brain Brewing cap and if it's clean my red Michigan Brewer's Guild shirt. I hope to get there around 4 or so.

27. raymo55

First one here.....just sayin

Could be a long night

28. trginter

how busy?

29. Looks like I'm going to get a later start than hoped, so I guess I'll have to fight the crowds. Just go easy on the Livery beers before i get there.

30. trginter

Grand Reserve is fucking amazing

31. sarro

Great event, even if we had to come from Ann Arbor for it. Brandon did an excellent job with it and The Livery's Cherry Bomb was exceptional.

raymo55 likes this.
  32. adamdd

What a line up! Cheers to everyone that showed up and supported the best beer bar in Kalamazoo. Special thanks to GI, Brandon, decadence, and raymo for their generosity!

[​IMG]

raymo55 likes this.
  33. trginter

I thought I spied someone walking around with a Rare, was I right? I saw the GI rep carry in a box of goodies.

34. decadance

The GI rep, Chris, brought a 2006, 2007, 2009, and 2010 BCS. Just happened I had a 2008. I also broke out a Rare, and Raymo has a Vanilla! We did the whole thing at the BA table, and made sure everyone had at least a couple ozs. Not to mention all the Juliet, Lolita, and the other bottle of Rare Chris brought! Big thanks to everyone who showed up. All of you helped make this event a success.

Further thanks to Sawyer from the Livery and Rich from New Holland Brewing for hanging out and being all around nice guys. If anyone missed it, KBS and the Livery Sours will still be on tap tomorrow, be sure to come in and get a pour!

And lets not forget, much thanks to Brandon from CCTH for helping put together this event. Without people like him in the Kalamazoo beer scene, events like this simply could not happen.

adamdd likes this.
  35. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Kris is a pretty cool guy, we've spoken on the phone numerous times about Goose and I can tell he truly believes in the product he is representing. Know's his shit too, just an overall beer geek.

Anyone alive after this event? I was keeping up with hollerined during the event on twitter, and some of you others, but man sounded like a blast. Good for CCTH for putting this event on!

36. sarro

Anyone wanna growler or handbottle the rest of Cherry Bomb for me? :D

37. For anyone local or who is traveling to Kzoo there are leftovers from Thursday's party. My wife and I stopped in Central City Tap House for lunch today and had the KBS, and the three BA beers from The Livery on a flight. Excellent beers and a great experience to have those 4 in one sitting. So then we a second flight with two from Goose Island (Pere Jacques and Matilda?), the Hacker-Pschorr Maibock, and another glass of KBS. Great lunch! (The food was great too.)